JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I guess this is a bit of a rant, but...

I posted a firearm I have for sale/trade on a few sites, which is a little bit of a 'specialty' handgun, that not everyone wants, especially as a shooter-grade, rather than a collectors. I have it priced accordingly and all that, and mentioned in most posts that I was flexible on the price for the right deal.

First, it seems like just about noone trying to buy this handgun knows the law (or is perhaps an ATF agent!). I've had a few WA residents ask me if I could do a F2F in Washington. I've had at least two others ask that I mail it directly to them!

Second, are those who want to kick the tires. It is a bit of a specialty calibre (which I mentioned I have none left of), and I've had quite a few ask if they could have me bring it somewhere they could shoot it (on my dime!). That just doesn't seem right to me personally. Not that I have anything to hide, and I know you take cars for test drives, but very very few gun shops would let you pull this.

Finally, I've had a number of people say 'deal', then reneg when we met. I know that it is in rough shape, and I mentioned it, and put up some pictures. I offered every one of them the opportunity to look at it and make the decision in person, but they would say 'deal'. I held it for a few days for them, pulling it off listing on one occasion (another board) because they said to consider it sold. Then, I met them in person, and they tried to renegotiate. In one such instance, the individual didn't even bring what he had agreed to trade!

At this point, I think I would prefer the near-indifference that my ad is getting here, though there have still been a few here who wished to have me commit a federal felony for them.

Anyone ever have similar issues? Is what I am selling just that undesirable that people are trying to mess with me?

We just like messing with you. :cigar:

j/k. Your Luger? Got me, but I don't know if I would take it too personal. These are strange and troubling times my friend, and in addition to all the new people that are just getting into guns because they are scared, I think a lot of people are just wondering around in a bit of a daze.
But I'll tell you what, I win Powerball tomorrow (or get a job or something :rolleyes: ) I will buy that from you! Always wanted one.

I feel for ya' I've been trying to trade as a "package"deal,my sks,no one knows how to read I guess because all I got was calls about selling the ammo.If I sell the ammo and not the gun,what will I shoot?I'd have to sit back and hope the price and supply of ammo return to normal.I swear,some people are brain dead.

Here is the listing:
Link

It is a German Luger in .30, though I've just ordered a 9mm barrel for it. It is more than admittedly in rough shape, though it all looks like surface stuff on it.

I wouldn't have minded terribly just getting zero interest, I would just convert it to 9mm, and use it as a range ****, but this seems to be bringing in the oddballs.

In the past I have had problems with people from WA also. I have had alot of them insist it is ok to do ftf and when I tell them I am willing to go the extra couple steps to make the sale legal to them they go poof and I never hear from them again. ATF? Maybe

Finch: Thats exactly what has happened so far multiple times. I'm thinking we must have either some stubborn/moronic Washingtonians, or a very active Portland ATF branch :)

I think most people are just trying to buy private sales in case the government tries to register hand guns. Until recently, I didn't know the laws for buying guns from oregon when I live in WA. Your probably just getting uninformed people that don't know the laws.

I'm not sure what your oregon laws are for F2F sales but in WA its real easy and there doesn't need to be any record of the transaction. Plus going through an FFL costs extra money that most don't want to pay.

The laws are the same in OR. The problem is people wanting me to break a FEDERAL law by selling a handgun out of state. It comes up here often enough, that anyone that reads enough to see the classified posts, should have it figured out by now.

Please forgive me if I am suggesting the obvious, but, if you are holding a piece for someone who has seen it and agreed to buy it, would'nt insisting on some money up front to hold it be in order ? I would think the old saying money talks and BS walks would seem to apply here.
I would agree that alot of people are looking for non-FFL transactions now, to avoid a paper trail. "Keeping off the radar" with at least some of your investments, I think is becoming as important as a perfect finish or that extra magazine.

Well, its considered polite/standard to set it to "Sold Pending Funds", which is essentially what I did. They just backed out afterwards, which is infuriating.

I also understand the 'keeping off the radar' of going outside of an FFL, but it would still be foolish to break a federal law to do it. Stick to F2F sales in-state, and you are fine!

it looks like you have a piece there that is going to need a bit of a niche market...

Probally a history buff or collector.

It's not exactly pretty like the 1911 special edition colt that I saw at Gun Broker today.... (no offense intended)

good luck!

Back to the washington ftf problem. My rant on that is that I have had washington residents insisting that I make the sale to them even after I tell them that it is illegal and I dont want to sell the gun bad enought to break federal laws. Its really rude and kinda scary. I have no problem selling to WA residents, Just spend a few more dollars for a transfer or dont even make an offer. And if you dont know the laws, which not everyone does, then take the advice from someone that does and dont insist that I should break the law for you and tell me that it is fine since you have done it before. That is not something a smart seller wants to be bothered with.

Never had anyone from Washington, or the ATF, ask me to sell across state lines. BUT what I have had is flakes responding to ads saying "ILL TAKE IT", and then emailing me back the morning after saying they had made a mistake. I hadnt ever had a guy do that to me before, but a few chicks! Ive also had guys respond to my ads with trade offers, then change it to another trade offer later that day, then offer a different trade the next day that is nowhere near worth what the value of mine is. Ive almost left this site a few times now, because of things like this. But....

Apparently, getting JERKED AROUND just comes with the territory, you gotta take the good with the bad. There are alot of really nice gun buyers out there, and some jack offs. Ive learned to be frank with people, and not give them a way to dissapoint me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top