JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
He had some catchy tunes that got over played. Dressed more girly than Liberace, had a popular movie etc. and wrote for and created some other top bands.
Rolling Stone Mag recently named ranked him 27 I think I heard. Not too shabby but far from # 1.

Not saying he had no talent just cause I didn't care for him but....
Why is the Prez commenting on this guy? Why did CNN and network news devote large amounts of air time to this has been pop star of the 80s?

Are we going to have another televised funeral like when Whitney died?

Music Icons die every month. We recently lost BB King, Lemmy from Motorhead, Merle Haggard, Scott W from STP, David Bowie and the list goes on and on.
Some of these guys get barely a 10 second obit on the news. Others the Prince treatment.

Why do some get sooo much more attention than others? Others who resonate with my past listening pleasure much better than Purple skinny tight pants funny guitar girly man Prince.

I remember when Elvis died. It was a big deal news story Rightfully so. Lady Di (not a musician of course) was probably the next Really BIG NEWS celebrity death that sticks in my mind. Then Jackson and Whitney. I thought her dying took up way too much air time IMO.

So far the story of the death of Prince is just a little over blown but time will tell.
Get ready for the Purple Prince emblem flag draped coffin interrupting your regularly scheduled programming.

First off, let me say I am not a fan of Prince.

HOWEVER. The dude was one of the biggest musical influences in the last 30 years. He set the stage for post rock, and he was a guitar virtuoso. I dont think its so much about his music as it is how he changed the direction of music. And you might not appreciate how many records Prince peddled, over a hundred million world wide. Puts him not in the Elvis category but certainly in a pretty elite club.

I haven't listened to anything Prince did on purpose since the 80's and it is certainly not my style of music, but the guy was no slouch

Watch this, he is late in the video but its some really great folks doing a great song.

Last Edited:
That's much better than what he's most known for.
I think what determines who gets special news coverage at their death is the musical tastes of the News editors and reporters and their biases against politically incorrect music.

It could also be, as others have suggested, that I am totally out of sync with the rest of the populationo_O

When Ozzy kicks it we'll know for sure I guess. I predict a world wide day of mourning.
If this doesn't happen then I'm the one that is out of sync.:D

• Began his career at the age of 19
  • Released 39 albums
  • Won seven Grammy awards
  • Sold over 100 million albums worldwide
  • His classic "Purple Rain" soundtrack, released in 1984, sold 13 million copies alone and enjoyed 25 weeks on top music charts
  • His movies, "Purple Rain" and "Graffiti Bridge," grossed $73 million worldwide
  • 40 -- yes 40! -- top 100 hits, including five No. 1 songs
  • Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004
  • His 2007 Super Bowl halftime performance drew 140 million viewers

Steal someone's girlfriend? Didn't even think he was on that team.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." -Jerry Seinfeld

Concerning Prince and his music, I think I could go forever and not miss a single one of his songs. Just not my thang.

Prince was a legend. His influence on post rock, as stated above was massive. His influence extended into R&B, Rock, Television, Movies, Print..

You know what I liked most about Prince ? When was the last time you heard about Prince in a negative light? When Prince wanted you to see him, you saw him. When he didn't, you didn't.

This year just keeps getting bubblegumtier. How many are we going to lose?

Sex. Mystery.

Realize that the sex icons of the 80s and early 90s are nearly gone. So far as I reckon, Madonna is all that's left. (Bowie and Prince being the other two). Sure, there are others, but none with the symbolism and time that these captured audiences.

I remember listening to Purple Rain and Let's Go Crazy. Long before it mattered what "team" anyone was on. It was and still is just good music. I'd put the needle on the record at insane volume (when my dad wasn't home) and blow my ears off. I was 10 in 1984 when he started dropping those hits. Didn't know anything more than what sounded good. I haven't much paid attention to his music since. BUT, for some reason, I thought about how short life is when I heard the news.

Not only was he popular for his own music that you know as his.... He also did a LOT of work behind the scenes with writing and being the behind the scenes instrument guy.

Prince will be missed. His music was soulful. As was Michael Jacksons. Legends of time in the art of music.
All the legends who could "become" the tool in their hands, fading away from every genre, leaving as icons in the industry.

Most music in post generations of the era, not worth listening to IMO

They are all missed :(

Rest in Peace my musical brother. :cool:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews