JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if that doesn't equate to career advice extraordinaire I don't know what does
*laughs* Guess you don't know about career advice extraordinaire then! Tell me which is better for mental health- to be employed at a job you can't stand, by a boss you know who's really the village idiot? Or to have the self confidence and skills to look the boss in the eye and say "Screw you- I'm out". And if said boss puts his hands into a fist- making sure it's caught on video- which means you're about ready to be beaten then it's fair game to whip his azz isn't it? Smile with the eyes, but watch the hands- that tells you what someone's really thinking.

One of the reasons I did not re-enlist, probably the main reason, was because I wanted to always have the option to walk off the job at any time and have the only repercussion be having to find another job.

Now granted, when you have bills (and almost everybody does), especially if you have a family, and you don't have a cash reserve that will pay those bills until you die, you feel the obligation to put up with crap on the job until you can find another one.

But as I got older, I built more and more of a cash reserve, paid down my debt, got more in demand experience, and every day was one less day I had to survive and one less day until retirement, the pressure to put up with crap on the job became less and less. I also felt more free to take risks with accepting gigs that might not work out.

I have not told any employer to take their job and shove it in so many words - I don't want to burn my bridges just yet - but I have left a number of jobs for better ones.

I've drudged thru all the responses on this thread because hiring good people has always been a problem for me. I run a business and know how much I can afford to pay people. Often this isn't what they think they are worth, sometimes I agree with them but I have to be able to stay in business.

Through all these threads you haven't mentioned what your degrees are in and how much you're hoping to make? I know you've said that you need to support a family of four but that can be a pretty broad spectrum.

It's a catch 22 these days... Small businesses like me are struggling to stay alive so often have to keep wages low and big business doesn't seem to give a damn about their most important resource, their employees.

Too bad he got chased off this thread.... Can't blame him, came here looking for help and advice and instead he got attacked!!

As an owner of a small business I'd welcome, even pri0ritize a veteran. Unfortunately I can't always match the pay of the big companys but I do offer the chance to be part of a small company without all the megacorp BS. American dream?? From some of the replies on here I wonder...

I would agree there just isn't much in the way of skilled or hard working people out there.

Having said that, My company is looking for a couple facilities maintenance techs.
It's a lot of work, you have to have a vast knowledge of facilities maintenance, minor plumbing, electrical, and equipment maintenance. It's all pretty easy work and great work environment, but it's bust work.
Starts out about $16.00/hr, benefits, vacation/ sick time, usually work 7am-3:30pm Mon-Fri some paid holidays.
We need high energy, hard working people with great positive attitudes.
If any of you know anyone or you are looking PM me and let me know I can give you more info.
Must have good interpersonal skills and computer skills.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top