JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It may sound like I'm complaining (maybe I am) but finding a job when you have over a decade of military officer experience and a year of civilian plant manager experience shouldn't take this long.

I officially left my last job (personal reasons) in January. I relocated with my family to the PacNorWest in early February (currently in Oregon) to be closer to friends and family (wife's requirement).

I've put out God-knows how many applications (I do know I did 14 in one day once) to work in either Oregon or Washington, but get little response. I've been to several hiring conferences (including one for vets) with nothing coming out of them. I've had a grand total of three interviews, one of which I was way overqualified for (they admitted as much and to their credit forwarded my info up for a higher position). I even have a hiring firm helping out, but they landed me one interview on short notice while I was sick; needless to say I didn't get that job.

I never know the timelines for the HRs, so I don't know how long to wait for responses...or if my applications are even reviewed. Something is wrong in the hiring process when there's no standards of expectations for timelines for review and response from companies...government is willing to regulate everything else...why not the hiring process (some useful regulation...horrors!)?

Thanks for letting me vent...I'm so frustrated...I'm tired of sitting around all the time and not working and staying with family...I still have no idea of where to set down roots...and I'm still sick...and it's my birthday today...Happy Birthday to me.

Last Edited:
Happy Birthday, hoping this next year will be better than your last. I too was a plant manager for many years but now am in the construction/property management business. It seems to be picking up on the construction side of things.

Thank you for your service.

Happy Birthday and Thank you for your service as well. If you are on Linkedin, go to the Intel Military Veterans and Service Members Community. Rob is a stand up guy and great resource.

Happy Birthday and thank you for your service to our country. Construction does seem to be an industry in this area where jobs are available. I work for an electrical contractor where we've been hiring regularly for the last 6 months - but those are all positions for licensed electricians. That said, when we're hiring, it usually means the other trades are hiring too, and not all require a license.

Best of luck to you in finding a decent job. I hope you find what you're looking for.

There are like 3 million unfilled jobs. If you can weld, upto 100/hr - in No. Dakota.

Check with State of Oregon, they may have a jobs networking meeting near you -
there is one in Hillsboro - not sure where else they are.The networking meeting is peer to peer review and job posting sharing. When I have been off work it helped me.

If you are high tech, get signed up with every contractor, let them work for you.
Synergy Seven, Kelly IT, Kelly Services, Edgelink, etc. etc. The contact information is shared at the networking group. But you should find these online too. Roll a contract into a permanent position would be your plan I assume. I do have friends who prefer the contract lifestyle, however.

If you can make it into the medical field, for at least the next couple of decades those positions will expand.
Many of them will be going to robots, but there will always be a need for human contact in the field.

Securitas is hiring - you will get fired, everyone always does. But it's a job.

School bus drivers - always in demand. Depending upon the district, you might get benefits.

Washington County Sheriff is recruiting Reserve Deputies -
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs131/1114870388019/archive/1116442242058.html
The Sheriff tends to use the reserve as a get to know you, extended interview.

If all you want to to is be a plant manager - good luck. Getting the job is like any project, any proposal. Treat it the same way. I recommend that you suck it up, get a job then look for your ideal position.

While you are looking you need a group of people for support - The networking group might lead to that, but thru your church, a veterans organization, a club. Get out of the house at least once a week.

http://www.mikeroweworks.com/home
http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/12/13/dirty-jobs-mike-rowe-on-the-high-cost-of

Sometimes you have to look outside of your regular "industry". I was in construction management for 15 years and after a hard hit to that sector, I am in the RV repair industry. Many of the same skills transferred.

czechmate82, Happy Birthday, with a very sincere thank ~ you for your service. My daughter had the same problem finding a job after 3 tours in Iraq. (Marine) It pissed me off!!! You would think the private sector would take that into consideration. I guess some do, most don't, unfortunately. You have proven your worth, in a way that most never will. Stay strong, good luck. Thank ~ You .

Hang in there, friend! I've suffered in similar fashion (off for 19mo once). It's truly maddening! I had problems with depression until I started to exercise heavily! That helped all around, mostly with my family relationships. Best of luck to you and thank you for serving. SRG

I have lived in Oregon 11 years now and noticed that in Oregon some jobs are not advertised. They seem to get filled by word of mouth. A lot of people move here, fail to get established then leave. I would suggest to take any job that pays the rent and keep looking for the job you want. Perseverance will pay off. Good luck.

I know networking and word of mouth overall get more jobs, but it's hard to network when no one you know but family lives here. Also, the working out idea to remove stress, I totally need to do. I just need to find a low cost gym now that I'm getting unemployment...

Have tried the UPS hub on Swan Island? My daughters boyfriend did 3 tours and UPS actively hires vets. He just made manager after two years. Many thanks for your service.

I know networking and word of mouth overall get more jobs, but it's hard to network when no one you know but family lives here. Also, the working out idea to remove stress, I totally need to do. I just need to find a low cost gym now that I'm getting unemployment...

Czechmate 82, like many here, I sincerely want to thank you for your service and as a former HR person, I'm going to offer you some advice that I've given to many people in your situation.

Now that you are out of work, your full time job, is to find a job and you need to attack this like any other task or assignment you were given when you were in the military/working. Put together your "land a job" project plan. Have detailed goals and objectives for every day/week/month. For example "on day 1 I'm going to have 3 people I trust give me brutally honest feedback on my resume and make the necessary changes". Have people practice interview you...if you are frustrated, disappointed, etc, it will come through in the interview and things won't go well.

Get out and network. So you only know your family here. Meet their friends, and their friends friends....the more people who know you and respect you, the more people you have working for you to try and find you something, you'd be surprised the number of people who found a job because their friends, mothers cousin heard about something and thought you would be perfect for it.

Finally, stay active. As part of your "find a job" project plan, include exercise and phiscal activity. This can help you crush the anxiety and frustration of this very stressful time and put you in a much better mental state when you land your next interview.

Good luck, and I will keep following this thread to see how things are coming together for you.

@czechmate82, following up on yskippy said, if you want to improve networking, you may want to get on Linkedin if you're not already on there. Make connections with everyone you already know that may be on there, then you may find opportunities to link up with folks they know. Linkedin is kind of like an online resume and I do know companies that look to Linkedin to find folks. No guarantees of course, but the basic account is free and it's just one more resource in your bag.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top