Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why is all the .22 sold out?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by soulrider, Dec 29, 2012.

1. soulrider

soulrider Aloha/Beaverton Member

Am I missing something?

I have been to two different stores in a week and ALL of the .22 has been bought out. plenty of .17 and shotgun loads but no .22
    I always go by the gun counters when at certain stores, and sometimes pick up some .22, .30-06, and .380 There was nothing there. I know things are INSANE right now and expect there to be a run on a lot of different calibers but why .22?

SO thats my question.

2. hatchj

hatchj Milwaukie, OR Member

Realistically, no good reason. Just panic buying. People don't understand what's going on, so they just buy stuff

3. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

Very good question. If ammo were to be banned / restricted, seems like .22lr would be the last to go.

4. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Same reason as when it all sold out in 2008: panic. Back then, it was in scarce supply and I remember finding some at a feed store down in Klamath Falls - it felt like finding a gold nugget.

5. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have been to quite a few stores this week and two this evening. 1 only had a couple of boxes of 22 the other had several 525rd bricks. I also was able to pick up 380 and 45. No shortages yet where I go.

6. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

Because when we can't replenish our supply of other calibers, we can still get some cheap trigger time. In times like these, I don't want to use up my .45 acp.

7. japcraplover89

japcraplover89 Orting, Washington Member

i noticed this lately also, was going to buy bulk .22lr today at sportsmans because i was already there and they were dry. picked up a few boxes of CCi instead.

8. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

.22 ammo is high demand because of being cheap to shoot and just about everybody has a firearm that shoots it. Now add in the possibility of a tax or limits being added to ammo and everybody runs out to buy as much as possible cause it's cheap to stock up on. Another good reason is you cant reload it like any other caliber. I just hope replenished supplies doesnt lack quality like last time.

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

CHRISTMAS

10. soulrider

soulrider Aloha/Beaverton Member

Maybe the stores I went to were REALLY slow in restocking their shelves.... both were in Tigard.... I should have taken a pic. one shelf of .17 and all other shelves were empty except for a couple boxes of target loads. Behind the counter was really empty as well. I usually start stocking up in the winter so my sons and I can go shoot at the drop of a hat when its warmer.

11. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

Online sources are out of the cheaper bulk .22LR. The more expensive stuff was still in stock, the last time i looked.

12. Stick

Stick Eugene Member

Bi mart down here has been out. They told me they sold a lot of 22's around christmas time but I bet its more the panic than anything. I've checked every day since christmas eve and still nothing.
    Plenty of .17, shotgun and even 22 mag but no 22lr
    I ended up finding some at walmart. Not my first choice of places to buy from but my kids are coming for a week and I want to take them shooting, their mom is an uneducated gun hater so I cant count on her to teach them anything other than guns are evil.

13. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I too noticed that the Locusts had visited WalMart in Oregon City. Nothing but dust on the shelves, lots of .17 stuff but who has one of those? Not me.

I just have to laugh, but know that this panic buying could double prices of ammo again like it did in 2008. As a retired guy I will have to look for another hobby if that happens.

Break out the bows and arrows again. Off to the indoor bow range for some inexpensive shooting where I can use my ammo over and over.

14. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

I have been practicing with an air rifle.

15. Mordyn

Mordyn Puyallup, Washington New Member

Every store in Puyallup, WA that sells ammo is out of .22 as well...

16. japcraplover89

japcraplover89 Orting, Washington Member

^ sportsmans in south hill has plenty of .22, if you dont mind buying 50rd boxes....

17. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

No .22LR at the Tigard Bi-Mart yesterday, this panic buying bs is really getting stupid.... and annoying.

18. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's a WalMart in Oregon City???

Or did you mean Bi-Mart?

19. Stick

Stick Eugene Member

Agreed.
    Saw some .22 at a show yesterday but I wasn't willing to pay what they wanted for it.

20. Mordyn

Mordyn Puyallup, Washington New Member

They had nothing as of last night