JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Close fitting work clothes... sounds like a "mini" gun like Keith just suggested, or maybe consider a small pistol like a Ruger LCR in an ankle rig on the inside ankle that's opposite your shooting hand, but you should (at a minimum) have a folding knife that you can open with one hand.

I work for an AWESOME company, but because of some SERIOUS dopes (in the construction dept.) working for us in the past, it's against company policy to have a firearm on company (or client) property, but for over 5 years working there if I haven't had to go through a metal detector (and I have) I've been armed.

Funny thing is, when talking with the executives (the ones with power in the company) here and there about all the psychos running around, office security concerns, and the stupid dopes that have worked for us in the past and everyone in the office being unarmed, they've all said to me (at one time or another) that they're not worried about someone like me having a gun.

Even though I've carried since day one around there years ago, and although they don't "know" I carry a CCW, I've taken that as a "special dispensation" from company policy, because they'd never actually see it (or know for sure) unless we had a "gate crasher" hit the office intent on harming my coworkers. I KNOW they wouldn't fire me for that.

Here is how I worked it out at my office. Firearms are now allowed on campus and you risk termination if caught. But security allows you to check them in for storage when you arrive. Since my office is remote and we dont have any security officers I asked that they provider a security officer at my location after I got some death threats. Of course my employer has no interest in paying another salary so I immediately got permission to store a firearm at my desk in a safe. :) (got it in writing too)

If I was in your situation, I would look for any legal precedent where employee sued for their employer not providing adequate security. If you are lucky and there is precedent for this and they stand to loose a whole lot of money if an employee was injured, then I'd ask for security like I did. If they wont provide it, ask if you can store a firearm in a safe at the office.

Might even be worth a $35 consultation with a lawyer

https://www.osbar.org/public/ris/#ris
"You are entitled to an initial consultation of up to 30 minutes for a maximum fee of $35. "

So the other day while i was working graveyard we had a homeless guy sneak into the hotel where i work at while i was helping fix a door on a guest room. He ended up passing out in the lobby bathroom and came out around 5 am while my boss was setting up breakfast. He immediately went into the breakfast room and that's when my manager told me he stunk of urine and feces.

It was also evident that he was coming down from whatever drugs he had been on. For policies sake we had to ask him if he was a guest and what reservation info he had. Which he had none and when we asked him to leave he became quite agitated an aggressive towards us.

My manager and i went back to the front desk where she pulled out a can of mace from her purse. I jokingly commented that could get her fired and she laughed it off. She knows i'm a gun owner and i remarked to her "wish i could carry at work" She gave me a dead pan look and said good luck getting that OK'd by management.

We ended calling in some Hillsboro PD (which took them almost an hour), They came rolling in with 3 squad cars when they finally showed up and checked the guy out. They also ended up calling in an ambulance and fire truck which took him to Saint Vincent hospital.

I mainly work front desk at this hotel and work graveyard by myself a few times a week along with a few day shifts. We are not allowed to keep any weapons at the front desk besides a pair of scissors. And if anyone were to come in armed we are told to leave and call the police. Which we all know when seconds counts the police are only minutes away.

Hello Ttuck, hopefully we can help you figure this stuff out. We've all been in similar situations- whether it was dealing with a subject and not having a firearm on us or wanting to carry a gun and our bosses threaten us with termination if we do.

If you are deadset to not carry a firearm because you are in fear of reprisal, then may I ask- what do you carry on a plane or when traveling to another state?

When I found out that a cruise ship was going to let me have a 6" Dive Knife, I didn't hesitate to carry my K-Bar TDI. When I get on a plane, I go out and buy a nice metal Zebra pen.

Also, pepper spray might be a good option- even if to just threaten someone with (mainly because I don't think your managers would be too keen on fumigating a lobby with pepper spray).

You can also carry a keychain spike or a simple walking cane...I guess the real question is- is what is your hotel policy about going "hands on" with someone? I mean, if you are afraid of being terminated from just having a gun- management probably doesn't want you to physically remove someone or defend yourself then you might as well just not carry anything at all...I guess it really comes down to you.

Look, I played this game too...I used to carry a pistol under my security uniform when I worked security in Yakima. My first few months I stowed my pistol at home (for fear or reprisal and laws) but then the fear shifted to everyone I was catching at night doing stupid crap. At the end, I even found out that I wasn't the only one carrying!

It was illegal for me to carry a gun without an armed license and it was against the policy of the security company. If I got caught, it was my arse but (like you) I had to deal with pices of crap that didn't like what I had to say.

Do what you gotta do to get home...I realize that you are afraid of losing your livelyhood- to that I would say then carry a gun and wear it in a manor that nobody would ever know you even had a gun (like a .22 in a pocket). It would be easy to say "hey, I forgot I had it on me" and take your licks even if (for whatever reason) they found out about it.

It's either that, or you can simply do what every other lamb does...see a confrontation and run away while dialing 9-1-1 or just ignore it completely and claim ignorance.

Hope i can explain this correctly, so far, every person who has or does carry on the job, has told us in writing they do so. There fore, they are just short of telling some one on the job they work on , that, they are in fact carrying a weapon. Not a good idea, eventually, they will confide in someone, and admit to fellow coworker that they have a weapon on their person. YOU, WE, I, are our own worst enemy when it comes to our personal security. Most people cannot keep their mouths shut. And, it only takes one time, and the word would be out, and, you'll be down the road. Keep conceal carry, conceal carry.

I don't carry at work currently because my contact with the public while at work is zip. Prior to 2008 though when I had extensive public interaction during working hours, never once did I get printed while carrying the aforementioned NAA mini revolver.

I do agree with the previous post however... it will become general knowledge in your workplace that you carry if you don't keep quiet about it. My employer at the time was gun-neutral though, so whatever it was I said that made it known to my employer that I carried, it was never made an issue of. With my my profession and skill set though, if I get laid off from one job today, I can be working the next day at another for comparable pay, so I have a level of job security that many do not. This is an unusual situation in today's workplace, so I too recommend 'keeping it quiet.'

Keith

I don't carry at work currently because my contact with the public while at work is zip. Prior to 2008 though when I had extensive public interaction during working hours, never once did I get printed while carrying the aforementioned NAA mini revolver.

I do agree with the previous post however... it will become general knowledge in your workplace that you carry if you don't keep quiet about it. My employer at the time was gun-neutral though, so whatever it was I said that made it known to my employer that I carried, it was never made an issue of. With my my profession and skill set though, if I get laid off from one job today, I can be working the next day at another for comparable pay, so I have a level of job security that many do not. This is an unusual situation in today's workplace, so I too recommend 'keeping it quiet.'

Keith

that's what the post office folks said...

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

No pepper spray at the SS office? Yikes, is that everybody or employees?

It's a gov't office and carrying weapons has been illegal there for years, just like a post office except the SS offices have armed security and do checks of handbags.
It definitely was profiling too as we were the only older non-minorities in the office at the time and he waited till we got our registration in.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

For deep concealment in tight-fitting uniforms, try an NAA .22 magnum minirevolver. From 20+ years of experience, I will tell you that no one will ever see it if you don't want them to.

And for all the poo-poo'ers of an NAA...would you volunteer to get shot at 5 yds. with five rounds of .22 magnum to prove it was a worthless carry piece?

Keith

That's what I carry in my off side pocket! Although mine is only 4 rds of .22 WMR Critical Defense. My Kimber is on the other side and has 7+1 of Critical Duty .45. This is what I carry even working around the house!

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Hope i can explain this correctly, so far, every person who has or does carry on the job, has told us in writing they do so. There fore, they are just short of telling some one on the job they work on , that, they are in fact carrying a weapon. Not a good idea, eventually, they will confide in someone, and admit to fellow coworker that they have a weapon on their person. YOU, WE, I, are our own worst enemy when it comes to our personal security. Most people cannot keep their mouths shut. And, it only takes one time, and the word would be out, and, you'll be down the road. Keep conceal carry, conceal carry.

Well, like I posted earlier. I have tacit permission from management and even if I do get fired for it my SS is almost three times what I make working. I'm just short of 68 and the wife is just past 67 and in poor health. In fact the only real thing keeping us from retiring is the 15yr old grandson that we took in after the step daughter died. No family here and his father was hiding from the police last time we tried to serve papers on him.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

that's what the post office folks said...

Same here when I last worked for the State of WA. I was a Network Administrator and never met the public, just our own workers. But, thinking back, one of the "Portland 7" that was investigated after 9/11 worked in Engineering for us. The FBI did nose around a little then. He was always wanting us to install software that would allow him to work from home but we refused to unless he brought his computer in and we did the install,, and he refused to do it. That was what the FBI wanted to know: did we do the install and if so what did we find on his computer?
We also had another foreign gentlemen working for us, one day I got a call from our Olympia HQ, they wanted to know why he was transmitting so much data over the Internet. I didn't know and no one ever pressed the question. BUT, if you were wanting to plan a bombing wouldn't it be nice if you had plans for the highway bridges in your possession? At that time we were working on various bridges in the district on I-5 and I-205.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

Well, like I posted earlier. I have tacit permission from management and even if I do get fired for it my SS is almost three times what I make working. I'm just short of 68 and the wife is just past 67 and in poor health. In fact the only real thing keeping us from retiring is the 15yr old grandson that we took in after the step daughter died. No family here and his father was hiding from the police last time we tried to serve papers on him.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

Deen, if the grandson is officially living with you then he's eligible for SS benefits on your account until he's 18. That would pay for his private health insurance. It would also boost your wife's benefit on your account until he's 16. She could probably quit work and actually bring in more money being the "caretaker" of your grandson. Check with SS and see what the difference in benefits would be. It could be a lot.

I feel for ya, I have worked graveyard for 6 years at a secured port where I cant carry, and although I have no dealings with the public (thank God) my biggest fear is coming home to a situation that I would need a firearm. And I get the whole 'whats more important-your life or your job' argument, in my case it could go further than my employment if I got busted. That is why I poersonally have a security system in place and my wife knows what to do in case a scumbag decides to atempt to liberate my hard earned stuff.

Not much advice I know, I guess all I can say is be careful out there and good luck finding another job

Sharty situation for sure. Hard decision - risk the job, or risk your safety. Jobs can be found if you get canned - but like you say there's a lot of employers who would run far and fast from you if you said you were fired for a weapons policy violation.

If you decide to eventually carry at your current job, there are two types of holsters out there that might work - one is called "Thunderwear" or "Smart Carry" - it's a cloth holster that is worn between your underwear and your pants. It's padded to block the gun's outline and carries the gun right over your junk - or in front of it. Don't get too excited lest you have a premature, er, detonation. ;)

photo10.png

The second is a polymer holster designed by J J Racaza - a competition shooter and Federal Air Marshal (he was also a Top Shot competitor). He's not a big guy.

A small thin automatic would be the best for concealment. Get a good folding knife - 2-3" blade, or a fixed blade like the Ka Bar TDI which are easily concealed. A kubaton would be good and looks like a pen. Even a tactical pen style flash light - I have a 5.11 TMT PLx - bright enough to blind, but the body is aluminum - it'll break bones, gouge eyes, or with enough force would probably even give a nasty puncture wound. When clipped to your shirt or pants it looks like a nice ink pen.

Sorry i have been gone from the thread for a couple days. I appreciate the advice you guys have poured on me. Luckily my dad got me a nice folding knife for Christmas. i take a backpack to work and have decided to keep it in there. Hopefully if it's searched and they see it in there i can easily play it off that i forgot it was in there. It may not be a firearm but it's better than nothing and hopefully won't get me shartcanned.

My cousin and I also make our own custom kydex holsters so i might take a couple of my knives over to his place where we keep the equipment at and see if i can't make something to deep conceal it with.

Yeah homeless, drunk, or drugged up is a common thing at my work or just a-hole people that want to cause trouble.
We have a no firearms policy.
But the parking lot isn't company property and we have many exits.
I think it's stupid, but then again we have some idiots that work for us.
But on a case by case basis i think it should be ok.
They trust me using CPR or an AED. I use power tools of all kinds around the public why not qualify me on a firearm and I can get my armed security license. Already been certifed for unarmed security.
At a lot of our businesses we have armed security too, and I wouldn't trust them with a flashlight.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top