JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the other day while i was working graveyard we had a homeless guy sneak into the hotel where i work at while i was helping fix a door on a guest room. He ended up passing out in the lobby bathroom and came out around 5 am while my boss was setting up breakfast. He immediately went into the breakfast room and that's when my manager told me he stunk of urine and feces.

It was also evident that he was coming down from whatever drugs he had been on. For policies sake we had to ask him if he was a guest and what reservation info he had. Which he had none and when we asked him to leave he became quite agitated an aggressive towards us.

My manager and i went back to the front desk where she pulled out a can of mace from her purse. I jokingly commented that could get her fired and she laughed it off. She knows i'm a gun owner and i remarked to her "wish i could carry at work" She gave me a dead pan look and said good luck getting that OK'd by management.

We ended calling in some Hillsboro PD (which took them almost an hour), They came rolling in with 3 squad cars when they finally showed up and checked the guy out. They also ended up calling in an ambulance and fire truck which took him to Saint Vincent hospital.

I mainly work front desk at this hotel and work graveyard by myself a few times a week along with a few day shifts. We are not allowed to keep any weapons at the front desk besides a pair of scissors. And if anyone were to come in armed we are told to leave and call the police. Which we all know when seconds counts the police are only minutes away.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I'm lucky I guess, I used to work for the DOT in WA, I carried daily.
I work evening security at a retirement center, the previous administrator just asked about carrying. He said: "You have a permit don't you?" Answer was: Yes, his answer was: "Don't do anything stupid".
We had a problem with a worker who was terminated: when I asked the acting admin she basically said the same thing. I haven't bothered to ask the new administrator though.

I'm also lucky in that I really don't keep the job for the money so if I get fired it's not a big deal. I'll just start my SS which would pay me almost 3 times what I make now. Wife has been off work for three years and is on private long term disability and no idea when she can go back to work.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

That's good and all, but what happens if they find out and i get fired? Then when i go in for an interview and they ask why i was fired from my last job. Would look real good saying i brought a gun to work.

The co-worker's OC sounds like an appropriate threat response, given the description.

I carry one of the Defense Technologies OC/CS Mk. III's when working non-uniform jobs, its a handy thing and very low profile in a blade-tech holster.

Fox 5.3 is also serious. Inexpensive insurance and saves your hands getting busted open on raggedy teeth.

That's good and all, but what happens if they find out and i get fired? Then when i go in for an interview and they ask why i was fired from my last job. Would look real good saying i brought a gun to work.
How would they find out? They cant fire you for possessing a gun without probable cause.

Our work uniforms are not CC friendly. Everything has to be tucked in and a small tight fitting sleeveless vest must be worn as well. It would be very easy to print and then have coworkers wondering what's on my hip. Plus i'm on camera my entire shift and my employer regularly does searches since housekeeping has a tendency to walk off with stuff especially hotel amenities.

Nice thing about being a chef, you are required to keep very, very sharp knives on hand! Other nice thing, chef trousers are baggy with strong, deep pockets. Well able to take the weight of my ugly old AMT .380!:D

There's a chance i could be working at the docks at Swan Island come February, Though i'm not sure what their policy is toward CC.

I have a tiny OC spray on my keychain. It's been there for years (I do replace the canister every two years). So come to think of it that means I've carried OC spray at work for years. Never noticed anything about it in the employee handbook...

Last Edited:

How would they find out? They cant fire you for possessing a gun without probable cause.

Here in WA they can fire you for any cause or no cause at all. So, yes, they could fire you for having a gun here.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

There's a chance i could be working at the docks at Swan Island come February, Though i'm not sure what their policy is toward CC.

Now, that's a problem since you need a TWIC card and TSA prohibits weapons carry within the cordoned off area like the docks, or did when my wife was working in Kalama at one of the grain elevators there.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

I have a tiny OC spray on my keychain. It's been there for years (I do replace the canister every two years). So come to think of it that means I've carried OC spray at work for years. Never noticed anything about it in the employee handbook...
Wifes' purse got searched at the SS office last year and they found hers (she's had it so long we both forgot it). Luckily the guard let me take it back out to the car and nothing more was said although he did warn us that it was a Federal law violation!

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

Here in WA they can fire you for any cause or no cause at all. So, yes, they could fire you for having a gun here.

Deen
NRA Golden Eagle member

well thats interesting, how can they fire you for having a gun when they dont know you have a gun? Can they search you without probable cause?

Wifes' purse got searched at the SS office last year and they found hers (she's had it so long we both forgot it). Luckily the guard let me take it back out to the car and nothing more was said although he did warn us that it was a Federal law violation!

No pepper spray at the SS office? Yikes, is that everybody or employees?

Thats a non issue, you're life is worth far more than a paycheck. There are actually quite a few jobs out there that fully support ones right to carry.
I would highly suggest one of those if the issue means as much to you as it does me.

For deep concealment in tight-fitting uniforms, try an NAA .22 magnum minirevolver. From 20+ years of experience, I will tell you that no one will ever see it if you don't want them to.

And for all the poo-poo'ers of an NAA...would you volunteer to get shot at 5 yds. with five rounds of .22 magnum to prove it was a worthless carry piece?

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top