JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some people ask me why I haven't been an NRA member, even though I'm so pro-gun and pro-2nd Amendment. To be honest, I hate the politics involved. Sure, if I ever got into a shooting I would be begging for the NRA to have my back, regardless, what have they done to preserve my 2nd Amendment rights?

Yes, I see the NRA in the news and used as the scapegoat for all Left-wing propaganda ending in turmoil. Also, I do recognize the benefits in being an NRA member; having millions of members on your side of an issue tends to sway the votes in your direction.

But what about being proactive? What about writing up bills that matter for the 2nd Amendment vs. against anti-2nd Amendment rhetoric?

Ever since I can remember, people on the pro-gun side have complained about "gun free zones". So, I have devised my own way to combat against those that post up signs and suddenly declare an area a "gun free zone".

How many gun manufacturers have been sued because their firearms were involved in a shooting? How about the bullet manufacturers? The left-wingers have pushed out black talons and the FN 5.7 FMJ rounds one bullet at a time, and now we can't even get modern rifle receivers shipped from overseas because everything is an AK-47 to them.

So what can we do?

I propose the following...

Anyone that declares their house, place of business or any area a "gun free zone", they should be held liable for my safety. You heard it right...if I can legally carry a firearm in my state, but you force me to disarm and I become a victim, I (or my loved ones) should be able to sue you for Vicarious Liability or Wrongful Death.

I know what you're saying...this certainly won't stop the act from being committed, nor will this type of bureaucracy save you from being a victim. At the very least, however, this may deter more businesses/states/counties from creating their own laws by declaring some place a "gun free zone".

Thoughts? Opinions?

FYI, I am for other foundations and organizations that defend my 2nd Amendment rights...like the Second Amendment Foundation. I've heard of more stories of the SAF being proactive in the fight for my Constitutional rights than I ever have the NRA. To put it plainly, the NRA will only step in if they can get a gross amount of press on it to boost membership. The SAF will actually use their membership dues to fight for the little guy.

My head just imploded like someone injected it w/ red matter.
Seriously,
you make a great point. I've not really put enough time into really analyzing what the NRA is doing or not doing. But your post makes me want to.

I tend to really agree with your post and I think the anti's have infiltrated the NRA to some extent and are working against us from the inside.

I don't thing it is so much as the anti-group has got in there as much as greed...how many times do you hear about the NRA needing money to fight a bill that has and wont ever make it into Congress (i.e. HR 45)?

It's about the money...and I, for one, am sick of being nothing but a paycheck to some NRA chairman.

Most of what they do you won't hear about. They are the most powerful lobby we have inside DC though. You don't hear much about other lobbying, other than the fact that it happens, do you?

Writing off the NRA is definitely not the best thing to do. Writing to your regional reps and letting them know what you don't like is. Just like the political parties a large organization sometimes gets off track but they will never get steered back on track if the membership does not cast its voice.

We don't need some new organization, we just need to let the current organization know what they need to do to stay on track and have our support.

There is nothing wrong with also belonging to GOA, SAF, OFF, JPFO, etc. They also need to know when you aren't happy with them. One thing I have complained about is one of those org's constant whining about the NRA. Trying to steal membership by denouncing a "competitor" is not the best thing to do in this community, IMO. Trying to share memberships is the best thing any of them could do. It would be nice to see one org talking GOOD about the other orgs once in a while. Some of them also have better skills at certain tasks. It would really be nice to see them working together on various efforts.

Too much is based on greed though. They likely don't see a dollar spent as a dollar going to the cause. They see it as a dollar the other organization is getting when they should be getting it. Resources should be pooled and not divided.

I would not completely write off the NRA. I feel they could be of some use if things get really bad and gun rights as a whole are on the chopping block. I feel they are greedy and could make better use of their money. If they are out there fighting then I would like to see all the little things they do and where the money goes.

Anyone that declares their house, place of business or any area a "gun free zone", they should be held liable for my safety.

After being encouraged by me, my girlfriend suggested exactly this at her work place. She's an engineer for a small company {<20 employees} who's office manager had a fit on learning she {girlfriend} was carrying at work. The office manger tried really hard to establish a no firearms office policy but was unsuccessful partly due to my supplying local ccw laws and links {courtesy of the NRA} to stories on the Oklahoma case of a company being sued for firing employees who had guns in their cars. And it probably didn't hurt that the CEO from California was fired and replace by a guy fron Texas ;)

Along the same line of thought, if a burglar's family can sue me for shooting him in my house, shouldn't I be able to sue his family for the damage, loss and trauma to my household?

I was nodding my head in agreement until i read your proposal. In my mind, it goes against the grounds for being armed in the first place: self-responsibility.

Then we're left with one of two choices...

-Boycott areas that are "gun free zones"
-Carry anyways

Neither option has a better outcome than what I propose...and that is if they want to attempt to take away my rights, they better be damn well prepared to burdone the responsibility of my safety!

I think what we really need to do is band together to fight for what America's original patriots fought for. Our Constitution. Where in our Constitution does it say it is open to your interpretation????? WHERE?
Just because you sit on a bench and where a black ob doesn't mean you can tell me what you think the Constitution says. Either let me exercise my rights or TRY to take them away. Don't push your Lib agenda on me in an attempt to make me "safer"
Taking away my rights, and NOT enforcing laws against the person commiting crimes is treason.
Taking our freedoms and bending them is treason.

Don't tread on me.
When the NRA or any other group starts fighting for our rights I won't pay your first class flight to help pay off members of our congress. I will stand beside them and make sure our rights are still untouched for my kids, and their kids.

I see the logic of making the declarers of "Gun Free Zones" responsible. By declaring an area a "gun free zone" they must do more than just put up signs, they must take steps to assure that ALL are unarmed. And when they fail to do this, they should pay. This will assure that others that declare a GFZ will either rethink the choice or provide the needed security to make it a reality. When you tell some one that they can not be armed on your property you are either saying, "enter at your risk" or "I will keep you safe". In the present economy "enter at your risk" is a bad idea. Besides what business do you feel you could not boycott if they declared a GFZ? If all gun owners stopped shopping there they would feel it in a hurry.

Most of what they do you won't hear about. They are the most powerful lobby we have inside DC though. You don't hear much about other lobbying, other than the fact that it happens, do you?

Writing off the NRA is definitely not the best thing to do. Writing to your regional reps and letting them know what you don't like is. Just like the political parties a large organization sometimes gets off track but they will never get steered back on track if the membership does not cast its voice.

We don't need some new organization, we just need to let the current organization know what they need to do to stay on track and have our support.

There is nothing wrong with also belonging to GOA, SAF, OFF, JPFO, etc. They also need to know when you aren't happy with them. One thing I have complained about is one of those org's constant whining about the NRA. Trying to steal membership by denouncing a "competitor" is not the best thing to do in this community, IMO. Trying to share memberships is the best thing any of them could do. It would be nice to see one org talking GOOD about the other orgs once in a while. Some of them also have better skills at certain tasks. It would really be nice to see them working together on various efforts.

Too much is based on greed though. They likely don't see a dollar spent as a dollar going to the cause. They see it as a dollar the other organization is getting when they should be getting it. Resources should be pooled and not divided.

I agree, I am an NRA Life Member, and proud of it, but it is not to say that I get frustrated with the NRA sometimes, it's a big ship to steer and honestly, just their presence has avoided many problems/laws/regulations I am sure we will never hear of.

But since they are not quite the "PitBull" on the block I also support OFF(Oregon Firearms Federation).........these guys, or should I say this guy, is an ANIMAL! I am happy to send $25-50yr. to OFF, it's a no holds barred PRO-Active organization.

So, in my opinion, join NRA AND a local organization.

It does disturb me to see so many folks rationalizng why they should NOT support the NRA. I suppose that's because this is an urban forum. I also suppose it's an age thing, too. On a previous poll, when members were asked their ages, there were a large number of very young adult members. They may not know the history of how, and why, the NRA has fought to preserve even the fragmented firearms rights that we still possess.

Maybe the NRA is not perfect, but they are the best bang for the buck.

WAYNO.

I am 26 and support the NRA and send additional money when they have it earmarked for a cause I agree wholeheartedly with, but overall have been a little disappointed in my first year of membership. Sending calendars and dvds and giving me a hat to join? Out of the $25 I paid what am I getting? A bunch of free NRA gear or donating to a cause. I would rather not get a damn thing from them except to keep my rights. I don't want a hat, calendar or DVD I hate that my money is spent that way. Im seriously thinking I would rather just send them money from time to time so I don't get sent so much useless bubblegum.

As for Gun Free Zones can somebody please describe this to me? As a CHL holder I carry EVERYWHERE the law allows. Schools are "gun free zones" im sure but you are still allowed to carry at a school. CHL holders are exempt from most of those laws you know.

Im seriously thinking I would rather just send them money from time to time so I don't get sent so much useless bubblegum.

Try this:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

korntera...I agree. I do not want, or need, the trinkets they offer. On the other hand, they must make the trinkets available to the folks that might not join if they were not getting the trinkets.

What I did, over a lot of years, is, instead of sending them money for the latest-greatest Chinese-made NRA key-chain or knife offer, I sent them money to upgrade my Life Membership levels. I max-ed out at Benefactor, so now I recently bought my boy a life membership.

Again, they're not perfect, but what is imperfect to me might be the cats meow to the next guy. The NRA has a whole bunch of members that they would like to please.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads