JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The same could be said about people who complain about those who complain about open carry. There is no winning in this argument Joe. You and I have tried in other threads and it hasn't changed either of our minds. The argument itself does more to weaken the fight than either position ever could...

Well now I need an example. :) Show me how the argument could work with people complaining about people complaining?

"People who complain about people complaining about open carry don't care about my 2A rights." Well that's just not true! In fact, most people open carrying more than support your right to conceal carry.

What they don't care about is your right to free speech. Because you have the right to voice your opinion how and where you want. But that doesn't make it right, or any less annoying. :) Time and a place. This thread was not made to mock Riot directly, just my way of dealing with the OC/CC debates on these forums. The CC members get offended and incredibly disrespectful, while the OC members just want their rights acknowledged.

Like a christian extremist on the Max shouting about the lord's second coming, making a thread to tell OC'ers how wrong and incompetant they are is just distasteful. :)

Making a thread to mock it, however, is also distasteful. With a small side of entertaining. :D

Yes, now can we all go back to getting along and discuss something useful again?

+1

I think that once you've voiced your opinion you're done.

This is just like the abortion issue. I have a friend that's Catholic. I'm not. We don't agree on abortion. We agree to dis-agree. We made that decision years ago and moved on. We don't talk about it anymore, because we both know where the other stands. It's that easy.

Unless you just like to argue.....

There is no win in this discusion. I will be honest If I am in a store, mall or on the street and see someone open carry. I see them as a threat. That person might be expressing the 2A or about to open up ugly for a twisted reason. Thinking the person that has firearms exposed must mean they are expressing there 2A will never set right for me. I carry daily and truly understand my 2A rights. Still a person with a firearm exposed in a public place to me is a threat. He might be a guy expressing his right to open carry, he might be a buy who lost his job and comming back to get revenge, me might be a guy simply out of options or he might be ...... Not for me to know or understand, I see a threat. Anyone who doesn't is either simple or not being honest. A person in uniform open carry is accepted, a private person open carry in a public place needs further attention and in my eyes a threat. I carry consealed for a reason, I expect those that open carry do it for there reason, all the same the wild west is far gone.

I always wonder why a person would carry open if they can carry consealed. Simply ruines the surprise for the bad guys and stress out those that see your firearm including other gun owners. I expect some will come back with where I live it is acceptable, it was acceptable 100 years ago or it's my right. I am painting a larger picture. Go to a mall and open carry, while I respect your right I will watch you close and call 911 to have you checked out. It's a different world we live in, our rights are not so different, the responsibility for those rights have changed.

Open carry includes a person with firearm in hand but not presenting a threat, there is no mention that the firearm has to be in a holster. Imagine if you are at the mall and see person with firearm in hand just not presenting a threat. Your reaction is what? Is this person expressing there 2A or a threat? The person is open carry by right. What if a person decided to walk in a mall with an AK47, they are open carry so they have the right? How would you feel when you see them? High five them for supporting the 2A or look for cover?

I think this issue has been beat to death and if you want to open carry then good luck. I will watch you like you might be a threat and call 911 to figure out if you are. Don't be pissed by the attention, you asked for it.

I generally CC, but sometimes I OC. It depends on my mood. It has never mattered, because I haven't gotten a second glance when OCing. I don't think most of the populace is ever going to notice.
As far as appearing to be a threat, I would rather observe everyone and identify potential threats based on behavior/body language than simply because they do or don't have a weapon showing.

There is no win in this discusion. I will be honest If I am in a store, mall or on the street and see someone open carry. I see them as a threat. That person might be expressing the 2A or about to open up ugly for a twisted reason. Thinking the person that has firearms exposed must mean they are expressing there 2A will never set right for me. I carry daily and truly understand my 2A rights. Still a person with a firearm exposed in a public place to me is a threat. He might be a guy expressing his right to open carry, he might be a buy who lost his job and comming back to get revenge, me might be a guy simply out of options or he might be ...... Not for me to know or understand, I see a threat. Anyone who doesn't is either simple or not being honest. A person in uniform open carry is accepted, a private person open carry in a public place needs further attention and in my eyes a threat. I carry consealed for a reason, I expect those that open carry do it for there reason, all the same the wild west is far gone.

I always wonder why a person would carry open if they can carry consealed. Simply ruines the surprise for the bad guys and stress out those that see your firearm including other gun owners. I expect some will come back with where I live it is acceptable, it was acceptable 100 years ago or it's my right. I am painting a larger picture. Go to a mall and open carry, while I respect your right I will watch you close and call 911 to have you checked out. It's a different world we live in, our rights are not so different, the responsibility for those rights have changed.

Open carry includes a person with firearm in hand but not presenting a threat, there is no mention that the firearm has to be in a holster. Imagine if you are at the mall and see person with firearm in hand just not presenting a threat. Your reaction is what? Is this person expressing there 2A or a threat? The person is open carry by right. What if a person decided to walk in a mall with an AK47, they are open carry so they have the right? How would you feel when you see them? High five them for supporting the 2A or look for cover?

I think this issue has been beat to death and if you want to open carry then good luck. I will watch you like you might be a threat and call 911 to figure out if you are. Don't be pissed by the attention, you asked for it.

A person may simply open carry because it is their right to do so! If our state allowed everyone who was legal to own a firearm to carry concealed, I don't think this would be as much of a discussion. I know many people who don't want their CHL, therefor open carry is their only legal option!

I would point out that if someone is going back to their place of employment to shoot it up, they probably aren't going to wear a exposed drop holster. A criminal isn't going to worry about breaking the concealed carry laws when they are going to shoot stuff up! I have no idea why gun owners are scared of all of the other gun owners!

All I can say is we all better support ALL RIGHTS to own and use guns, or none of us are going to have them pretty soon! United we stand, divided we fall. OPEN CARRY is the most basic of 2nd amendment rights!

Yup if you print just the littleist bit while cc I will call 911 to see if your able to cc. You need a permit to cc and ya dont need a permit to oc. Sure helps us all dont it? Sad when a person is seen s a threat for choosing to exercise there right to open carry.

Will, I do appreciate your honesty but disagree with your attitude whole heartedly. You actually dial 911 to report somebody legally carrying a firearm because you fear he might start shooting at any moment? I'm sorry but that is absurd. As stated by comments directly following yours, criminals do not open carry! Show me one news article where an open carrying individual robbed a bank, opened fire on inocent folks, etc. They conceal it until they whip it out to start threatening or firing. They are not about to risk open carrying and have a police officer check them out Sir. Criminals are crooked cowards but they aren't completely stupid.

And no sir brandishing or otherwise carrying a gun in your hand is not open carrying or legal. That is not remotely the same thing. Better go review those laws if you're really this confused about them.

If you really are calling 911 on open carriers as a knowledgable CHL holder SHAME on YOU! You should know better. If you really do it out of fear please get some help, it is not healthy to spend every waking hour afraid of your own shadow.

FYI - I too have a CHL and always carry, but I never wanted to have to get one FWIW. I got my CHL because of all the red tape, etc. associated with open carry. I was upset to find that I live in an open carry state but I can't carry here, or over there, or in my car because open carrying in your car is considered concealed carry etc. I just wanted to be able to defend myself and others anywhere I was. Pretty sad that I can't without a CHL in my opinion. Today I perfer CC over OC but only because of people like yourself that will ensure I get extra attention that I do not want or need.

Will, I do appreciate your honesty but disagree with your attitude whole heartedly. You actually dial 911 to report somebody legally carrying a firearm because you fear he might start shooting at any moment? I'm sorry but that is absurd. As stated by comments directly following yours, criminals do not open carry! Show me one news article where an open carrying individual robbed a bank, opened fire on inocent folks, etc. They conceal it until they whip it out to start threatening or firing. They are not about to risk open carrying and have a police officer check them out Sir. Criminals are crooked cowards but they aren't completely stupid.

And no sir brandishing or otherwise carrying a gun in your hand is not open carrying or legal. That is not remotely the same thing. Better go review those laws if you're really this confused about them.

If you really are calling 911 on open carriers as a knowledgable CHL holder SHAME on YOU! You should know better. If you really do it out of fear please get some help, it is not healthy to spend every waking hour afraid of your own shadow.

FYI - I too have a CHL and always carry, but I never wanted to have to get one FWIW. I got my CHL because of all the red tape, etc. associated with open carry. I was upset to find that I live in an open carry state but I can't carry here, or over there, or in my car because open carrying in your car is considered concealed carry etc. I just wanted to be able to defend myself and others anywhere I was. Pretty sad that I can't without a CHL in my opinion. Today I perfer CC over OC but only because of people like yourself that will ensure I get extra attention that I do not want or need.

X2 on the post. I also have my CHL, but I OC on occasion. So far I have never had anyone say anything about me OC, if anyone does see it and ask about it my comment is that "I am just a law abiding citizen." I believe more people need to know it is legal, people would not be as afraid of guns if they saw people carrying them and knew they are law abiding citizens. Most people
's fears and conceptions about guns come from movies, which are unrealistic and most of the time stupidity at its worst.

I might need some help but accepting a person with a firearm in plain view is a good guy considering the world we live in isn't for me. Open carry to express the 2A is IMHO a desire for attention. I simply don't see the value pass that. I am honest, it's not for me to figure out if that person in the mall with an exposed firearm is a good guy or a nut case. Yes I will call 911 and let them sort it out. Better to fail on the safe side, while I might be one of the few to be honest I expect many would do the same and I know non firearm owners would be making the call as well. I'm not in favor of open carry but respect the right to do so and expect you will get attention for doing so. It's the world we live and and that isn't changing. There is a way to carry for protection, as quick to access as open carry with out the extra attention. Just my way to be protected, I don't have the time or stones to carry open. It is the world we live in and if you think by open carry you will change that preception with no disrespect meant I believe you are wrong.

Rip me up for my opinion, Again I respect those that open carry but simply don't understand why and when I see you I am concerned with your intent. Never going to believe everyone I see open carry is a good guy and admit I first see you as a threat.

I might need some help but accepting a person with a firearm in plain view is a good guy considering the world we live in isn't for me. Open carry to express the 2A is IMHO a desire for attention. I simply don't see the value pass that. I am honest, it's not for me to figure out if that person in the mall with an exposed firearm is a good guy or a nut case. Yes I will call 911 and let them sort it out. Better to fail on the safe side, while I might be one of the few to be honest I expect many would do the same and I know non firearm owners would be making the call as well. I'm not in favor of open carry but respect the right to do so and expect you will get attention for doing so. It's the world we live and and that isn't changing. There is a way to carry for protection, as quick to access as open carry with out the extra attention. Just my way to be protected, I don't have the time or stones to carry open. It is the world we live in and if you think by open carry you will change that preception with no disrespect meant I believe you are wrong.

Rip me up for my opinion, Again I respect those that open carry but simply don't understand why and when I see you I am concerned with your intent. Never going to believe everyone I see open carry is a good guy and admit I first see you as a threat.

That's really to bad on so many levels Will. You keep saying you respect open carriers but contradict yourself by stating that you dial 911 on people who do it. Sorry but that isn't respecting anybody. I feel sorry for you. Most people aren't afraid of their own shadow. Most people don't assume the worste in people upon first encounter.

I'm honestly worried about you and do not mean it as a slam at all when I say please seek some counciling. It is not healthy to be paranoid and assume the worste in everybody.

That's really to bad on so many levels Will. You keep saying you respect open carriers but contradict yourself by stating that you dial 911 on people who do it. Sorry but that isn't respecting anybody. I feel sorry for you. Most people aren't afraid of their own shadow. Most people don't assume the worste in people upon first encounter.

I'm honestly worried about you and do not mean it as a slam at all when I say please seek some counciling. It is not healthy to be paranoid and assume the worste in everybody.

Sir, while kind that was a slam. I expect I am far from paraniod and know that well before I call 911 many none firearm people would have already done it. Again who am I to decide if that is a good or bad guy with a gun? I know that I won't assume it's a good guy and will let those who are trained to do so figure it out. Don't feel sorry for me, it is the world we live in. Go to any major mall and tell me how many open carry firearms you see. Then come back and let me I am less than at ease if I were to see one at the mall. I believe that is the context I based my opinion on.

Maybe I have had my head in the sand, but it seems that open carry has only become an issue recently. I have never seen anyone open carry other than on the TV news reports. Since I do read the gun forums, at least I am now aware that it is legal. 99.99% of the population does not read the gun forums and have no idea that it is legal. I can't blame them for freaking out over 'guy with a gun' in current times. Even though I now know it is legal, I would still keep my eye on the guy since I would have no way of knowing if he was a good guy or a bad guy or what his intentions were. Each to their own, but I will continue to carry concealed.

I guess it amazes me that people would think that open carry would be illegal! We have the right to bear arms by the Bill of Rights, as well as Oregon law. Oregon law is actually a bit better than the Bill of Rights if I remember right. In any case, if we have the right to bear arms to protect ourselves, what good would a gun be locked in your safe at home? LOL. Law abiding citizens carrying guns, no matter how they carry them just makes all of us safer from the criminals who would harm us.

I don't care a bit how you carry your gun! I have no idea who would. I would be more suspicious of a person who had a concealed gun tucked into their waste band than I would be a person carrying on their side in the open. What kind of criminal is going to do that? :s0112:

That's kind of a dangerous, slippery slope type attitude, the way I see it. Where does one draw the line on the "better call 911 and have the cops sort it out" approach? Happen to see someone plinking in the woods? Better call the cops, they may be terrorists in training? Why not have cops come to actual target ranges and investigate every last person there... to make sure those folks there aren't terrorists in training either? See a neighbor loading a rifle case into his 4x4, better call the cops, he may be off to commit a mass-shooting? Heck, why not suspect anyone that owns at a gun at all? Or ever see someone walking around with one of those Leatherman tools on their belts? Do you call the cops to make sure they're not there to cut someone up? If someone is open-carrying, and even anti-gun people don't see it fit to call the cops, why should a fellow gun-owner? Seems like it accomplishes nothing but ruining someone's day and wasting police resources and time. If you call police attention because you're uncomfortable with someone who is doing something perfectly legal, you're taking them away from preventing and investigating the things that are illegal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top