JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I open carry quite often.
So here it is, I'm against people that carry their firearms openly. Whether it is for protection, protest, or just to get people to accept firearms as a whole, I just plain don't like people to do it.

I DON'T open carry for protection.
I DON'T open carry for protest.
I DON'T open carry to get people to accept firearms.

When I open carry, it's because it's much more practical to do so.

Now, lets get to the WHY I don't like it when Joe Blow carries his/her firearm out in the open. When you carry concealed, you have a main element on your side; the element of surprise
The "element of surprise" is completely irrelevant in my case.

So, why don't you like me?

Now, I know what you may be thinking...."police officers wear their firearms out on their hip in the open, so why can't I?"

Well let me tell you why....LEOs wear Level II+ holsters and train EXTENSIVELY in weapons retention. Joe Blow doesn't...and until he does, I will not be for him open carrying.

So in other words Joe Blow should not conceal carry either? because he has not trained EXTENSIVELY in weapons retention, correct?.. because Open or conceal either way your still carrying a loaded firearm, and by doing so you are saying you are a responsible person, and no how to use that firearm if the need arises. I know i would not carry my handgun if i did not feel like i knew enough or was familiar enough with it to me carrying it.

Of course I will never advocate against people open carrying...you misunderstand my point (or only read the tittle).

I am not for any regulation, law, or new ordinance...there are enough of them on the books already.

I misunderstood nothing thanks. I've read every post in this thread to include your thread starter. I just like, you just quoted you with a response to something specific you stated in line with the thread.

My last post purpose was to help explain why people get all bent out of shape when somebody states how negetively they feel about open carrying because they rightfully feel you are disapproving of their behaviour because in fact you are. This makes them feel threatened, like their rights are in danger of being infringed upon by people like yourself.

I am happy to hear that you would not vote to restrict or otherwise regulate people out of their right to carry.

What I AM for is for us gun-nuts to police ourselves.

I agree with Cocktailer here... Why on earth do you believe open carriers are untrained idiots? This is a wild and unjustified opinion based on nothing, that you have. Now that said I am absolutely sure that a very few are untrained morons but I'd venture to guess that most are well versed in firearm safe handling and shooting. (like you I have no proof to offer and this is just what my common sense tells me.)

It isn't possible to legislate morality any more than intelligence.

Denial is an emotional defense mechanism.

Folks who are afraid of firearms are typically ignorant about them.

When the denial shades are drawn, they float in the sea of emotional conviction.

A formally very anti-gun gal just bought a very nice Sig from a local dealer for her man for Christmas.

Big win.

Now she is excited about firearms and wants to get into it.

Perhaps if it were more common for responsible Pro gun folks to open carry,
those who are in fear would become more acclimated to them.

We can't control the media and their spin,
but we can demonstrate proper respect and proper behavior.

That's why I always have a claymore as a crown on the top of my tinfoil.

just sayin....

I myself wish more people would open carry! If the public was used to seeing law abiding citizens carrying their weapons all of the time, they wouldn't be so alarmed about it. I don't think the general public has any idea how many of us carry a weapon on a daily basis. I think they would have a different idea of things if they did.

This is the argument i hear all the time, but I wonder if people realize what percentage of the population actually carries in the first place. The Washington County Sheriff's site lists the issued concealed carry permits at 11,100. From a quick Google search the population of Washington county is approx. 500,000. Which would mean approx. 2% of the population have permits, but I would guesstimate the actual percentage that carry on a regular basis would be closer to 1%. So we are to assume that based on exposure to 1% of the population, that the general public will suddenly think everything is peachy.

I am against open carry. I'm also against these threads. They do nothing but provoke personal attacks on members of your own community. Neither side of the debate are idiots for choosing to open carry or not. But screaming at a brick wall trying to get it to change its mind is pushing it. Both of the threads open right now I actually went to the trouble of rating. Both got one star. I would have gone lower if I could have.

Izzy
I'm 6'2" 250 Lbs. & have a 44 mag. on my hip. Am I a taget?
I think you mean are you a likely victim? Obviously not. But would you make a good target. I think I could hit a target of your size at a 1000 yards pretty consistently.:s0114:
But seriously,there's a time and place for everything,and I mean everything.
Open carry is appropriate in most rural situation's.On my farm I open carry an AK 47 on the front of my quad.Loaded. It makes dealing with predator's faster, and dealing with trespasser's seems to go a lot more easy. For instance...
My land is posted, with my phone #,and I only allow some people to hunt it. Mostly friend's and local kids.Last year I rolled up on my quad(with the AK in its usual spot), just in time to see a archery hunter drawing back on one of my dog's.I told him to drop his weapon. He told me to call of my dog. I said " do you realize that you are a hostile armed trespasser and that I could legally do whatever I deemed necessary to stop your threat."He pointed his bow down and said again to call off my dog.I said "put your bow on the ground now and I'll call the police." He put his bow down and practically begged me not to call the police. I told him to leave the bow, go back up the hill the way he came and his bow would be waiting for him at the end of my driveway.He left the bow and went back up the hill.

My point is that without ever touching or talking about my weapon,I believe it's open presence lead to a peaceful outcome of a potentially deadly situation.I also had my concealed carry on me, but I seriously doubt he would have taken me so seriously if I looked unarmed. And if he had stuck my dog, well...I don't want to think about the probable outcome of that scenario.
On the other hand, I don't open carry in the library.What would be the point? I'm armed with my legally concealed pistol's.Why show them off. All the states of the Pacific Northwest allow concealed carry with a permit.
On the other hand if your in the woods hunting or whatever an open carry, and a larger weapon are usually in order.

Common sense need's to prevail in the decision making process of open carry much like the use of profanity.I have the right to cuss like a logger but is that always appropriate? It's a first amendment right but is not allowed here in this forum. :

I am against open carry. I'm also against these threads. They do nothing but provoke personal attacks on members of your own community. Neither side of the debate are idiots for choosing to open carry or not. But screaming at a brick wall trying to get it to change its mind is pushing it. Both of the threads open right now I actually went to the trouble of rating. Both got one star. I would have gone lower if I could have.

Honestly the best words that can come from this or the other thread :s0155:

A tool to devide those that have a common goal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top