JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Given the scenario of a person with a concealed gun and a person with a visible gun the criminal will chose the concealed every time, criminals look for the weakest victim. Criminals are not the brave tough bad guys in the movies they are opportunist cowards.

open carry or not, I am not a victim. I hope anyone who makes the decision to carry (open or concealed) is not a victim armed or not. I know I will do my best to equalize anyone who thinks they can make me a victim. If I have to use a 2'x4', my pocket knife, or my bare hands, i wanna be ready to bring the pain.

I open carry on occasion. When I have to take my jacket off and roll up my sleeves to do something physical

I will agree that I do not like it "when" people open carry. I will not say I do not like people "who/that" open carry. Big difference.

I personally fall into that category of people who feel any advantage an opponent knows about is not a true advantage. I also feel that people who open carry to make a point do more to help anti-gun causes than they do to promote gun acceptance. Therefore I do not condone open carry as a whole.

Now I do see why some people do open carry and I can respect their opinions. I just do not agree with them. I also feel that open carry is fine under certain circumstances such as hiking, camping, working on a ranch or farm, etc.

If responsible gun owners were not so worried about people FREEKING out about guns I bet many more would carry open. In washington we can and if it were common place I would the problem is the anti gun FREAK. When I notice a person carying I think cool another 2nd amendment guy exercising his wright to do so and have no fear of that person. All this comes down to is fear and many people out there are afraid of guns and don understand that if you or I were standing there and they were in harms way we would step in and help.

Thats all for now!
I agree with you.

Exactly coctailer! People who judge somebody they know nothing about should shut their pie hole! How do they know what kind of training I have? For all they know, I could be a black belt swat team member. If you are carrying concealed you are more likely to get targeted IMO. I'm not saying concealed is a bad thing at all, just saying that a gun on your belt is a big deturant for a criminal. SO, don't judge somebody you don't know!

The problem is all the gray areas. I open carry when I hike in the woods. I used to have a concealed permit but I never actually wanted to carry concealed. There are too many gray area scenarios. We need to get rid of the concealed permitting process. If you want to conceal it you can, if not, no big deal either way and no worries about partial concealment scenarios. Anything else is just a waste of time and an infringement on the rights of the otherwise law abiding public.

I dunno. I really don't. I have nothing against open or concealed carry. I have no statistics to back up my hunches.

I would rather have the element of surprise on my side than the deterrent of a visible gun. My gut tells me that if a BG was desperate and really "needed" to carjack me, that he might just shoot me if he observed the gun. Maybe he would just kick me out if he thought I was harmless. How would I know?

I do know that open carry didn't deter the BG from killing 4 cops in Lakewood a few weeks ago, and that was 4 against 1. The BG had the knowledge and therefore imho the advantage. If he knew they were cops and planned to kill them, but thought they were off duty and also unarmed, would he maybe have tried to mess with them first and got himself shot? "Four uniformed police officers were shot and killed in a bloody Sunday morning attack..."

I don't know. I think that there are so many possible scenarios that I really don't know. Wish I did.

Yes, it's another one of those posts folks...one that will probably get people all pissed off again and wonder if I'm actually FOR gun rights.

So here it is, I'm against people that carry their firearms openly. Whether it is for protection, protest, or just to get people to accept firearms as a whole, I just plain don't like people to do it.

Now, lets get to the WHY I don't like it when Joe Blow carries his/her firearm out in the open. When you carry concealed, you have a main element on your side; the element of surprise. If the bad guy doesn't know you are carrying, this is a good thing people. The less that the bad guy knows about what you have, the better. Keeping your firearm out in the open is an invitation for the bad guy to come up, disarm you and use your firearm against you.

Now, I know what you may be thinking...."police officers wear their firearms out on their hip in the open, so why can't I?"

Well let me tell you why....LEOs wear Level II+ holsters and train EXTENSIVELY in weapons retention. Joe Blow doesn't...and until he does, I will not be for him open carrying.

I'm with you on this one. One thing I have found is, many folks that open carry seem to have a "something to prove" mindset. Not all...but I've personally met enough to convince me that a lot do.

Riot...our views on this must be confined to Benton County as that's where I reside.

;)

There is something to prove (look, not all people who have guns are bad guys) People seam to think if you have a gun your a bad guy or your going to rob the place. My friends & I O.C. alot, to the store, bank, post office & every where els. Every one is alot more polite, I too am polite. People also seam to respect personal space alot more.:s0155:

There is something to prove (look, not all people who have guns are bad guys) People seam to think if you have a gun your a bad guy or your going to rob the place. My friends & I O.C. alot, to the store, bank, post office & every where els. Every one is alot more polite, I too am polite. People also seam to respect personal space alot more.:s0155:

Is it legal to carry into a PO?

Remember folks, I am only against open carry because Joe Schmoe doesn't take the time to train themselves to fight against being disarmed nor do they go out and buy an appropriate holster to combat against dissarmament.

Replying that there haven't been any recent incidents nor news articles to submit to my defense is hardly logic enough to convince me that it is a smart practice to do.

Honestly I thought common sense ran a little bit more freely in the gun-totters than the nons...but anyone with an anti-mentality is just shut off completely to any consideration?

Remember folks, I am only against open carry because Joe Schmoe doesn't take the time to train themselves to fight against being disarmed nor do they go out and buy an appropriate holster to combat against dissarmament.

You really could extend that to concealed carry too.

Replying that there haven't been any recent incidents nor news articles to submit to my defense is hardly logic enough to convince me that it is a smart practice to do.

Honestly I thought common sense ran a little bit more freely in the gun-totters than the nons...but anyone with an anti-mentality is just shut off completely to any consideration?

We are a diverse group and with that you will have diverse opinions, saying that opposing opinions are not based in common sense is also only your opinion.

I will agree that I do not like it "when" people open carry. I will not say I do not like people "who/that" open carry. Big difference.

I personally fall into that category of people who feel any advantage an opponent knows about is not a true advantage. I also feel that people who open carry to make a point do more to help anti-gun causes than they do to promote gun acceptance. Therefore I do not condone open carry as a whole.

Now I do see why some people do open carry and I can respect their opinions. I just do not agree with them. I also feel that open carry is fine under certain circumstances such as hiking, camping, working on a ranch or farm, etc.
I agree 100% with PbP. I believe the majority of people who see a gun in public will have a strong negative reaction. Chances are the same people will demonstrate their disapproval with their vote.

I rarely open carry and I have no problem with your opinion, however if you plan on moving to disallow open carrying I am most certainly against this idea. Please do not restrict how we choose to exercise our 2nd amendment right simply because you don't like what you see.

After deciding I wanted to carry all the time I began asking questions about the subject. I was disheartened to find out that Oregon is an open carry state but that many places to include your person vehicle you were not allowed to carry unless you had a CHL. This really bothered me! But I got my CHL and moved on. Part of me thinks I should open carry all the time legally with my CHL on me just to push back but another part of me knows I don't like a lot of attention from people. I perfer to blend in and be under estimated myself but I want the options to carry openly to be available for all.

I rarely open carry and I have no problem with your opinion, however if you plan on moving to disallow open carrying I am most certainly against this idea. Please do not restrict how we choose to exercise our 2nd amendment right simply because you don't like what you see.

After deciding I wanted to carry all the time I began asking questions about the subject. I was disheartened to find out that Oregon is an open carry state but that many places to include your person vehicle you were not allowed to carry unless you had a CHL. This really bothered me! But I got my CHL and moved on. Part of me thinks I should open carry all the time legally with my CHL on me just to push back but another part of me knows I don't like a lot of attention from people. I perfer to blend in and be under estimated myself but I want the options to carry openly to be available for all.

Of course I will never advocate against people open carrying...you misunderstand my point (or only read the tittle).

I am not for any regulation, law, or new ordinance...there are enough of them on the books already.

What I AM for is for us gun-nuts to police ourselves.

Not mine!

As far as I remember, a post office is Federal property and carrying inside of one is a no no even with a chl.

I myself wish more people would open carry! If the public was used to seeing law abiding citizens carrying their weapons all of the time, they wouldn't be so alarmed about it. I don't think the general public has any idea how many of us carry a weapon on a daily basis. I think they would have a different idea of things if they did.

I also don't really think that a person who is open carrying is going to be a target. Most criminals go after easy targets as was mentioned. They attack old ladies and those who appear weak much more often than someone who appears strong.

I mainly carry concealed. I prefer the element of surprise although I also don't make a great target either being a 6'1" and 250 lb power lifter with a shaved head. lol. I am not saying that anyone can't be a target, but I am saying that a criminal is likely to take the path of least resistance when given multiple choices. It's human nature. A person who the criminal knows for certain is carrying a gun is a less likely target than someone who appears to be unarmed. I guess kind of like the states who allow concealed carry have much less of a crime rate. Criminals don't like people who can defend themselves and are going to make a hard target.

That is my 2 cents worth. Probably about the value of it too. lol.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top