JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the volunteers at the range I'm a member of told me he finds rifles, pistols, shotguns, ammo, spotting scopes, tools almost at the end of every day.

Yes, it's a big range, over 50 acres with lots of bays.

So don't get in a hurry when you leave - look around where you've been shooting before you leave.

Some of us have so many guns it is hard to keep track of them. :s0108:

That was actually my first thought.

It is hard to say what happened. Maybe someone got injured. Maybe they got an emergency phone call and they rushed to get home or to whatever emergency.

Hard to say.

All it shows it the guy obviously wasn't the type to clean up his shooting area.

We usually bring garbage bags and not only our garbage but some of what others leave behind.

If your cleaning your outdoor areas after shooting you wouldn't forget something this big.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the LEOs actively search for who did this and charge them

I have mixed emotions about LE charging them as I see something similar happening when folks leave their guns in their vehicles without locking them up, then said gun/guns get stolen and that type of neglect happens every day.

Should they be charged?

I dunno, maybe...

I just got chewed out for forgetting to turn off the light in the gun closet.

People forget all sorts of stuff.

Heck, a buddy of mine rode his bike to school one day and then when school let out he walked home and when he got there...DOH!

I think you tried to do the right thing, looking for the owner.
Did the right thing turning it in.
Now you need new friends.

You guys are right, I called the State Police, not EPD like last time, and they are going to come pick it up from me, AND issue a receipt @RVTECH. They did say that if no owner is found, it would be very unlikely that I would get to keep it. Oh, well, easy come, easy go :) At Ieast I got another target out of the deal

What if you'd found a satchel by the side of the road with $60,000.00 in it and nobody claimed it? How about a very expensive leather jacket, some other inanimate object that had worth? Only the firearm won't go to the finder if it remains unclaimed for a prescribed period? Sounds like theft on the part of the state Police to me. If I were the OP I would do a little investigating and maybe a little pushing? For informational purposes at the least.

If I were the OP I would do a little investigating and maybe a little pushing? For informational purposes at the least.
I agree completely with this - but it needs to be approached in a 'professional' manner.
If it were me I would start by drafting a well worded letter to the Highest Ranking Authority of the of the particular Division that took possession of the rifle, email it to him/her, and request an explanation of what will take place with regard to finding the owner, time frames and what will happen to it if not claimed.
I would include I expect an answer withing a reasonable amount of time (3-5 days) if not I would be calling and asking to speak to this person.
IF approached in this manner there is no reason why the OP should not be informed of the process with found property - especially guns.
If the OP were not satisfied with the answer or believed it to be incorrect the next email goes to the Ranking Authority of the entire Oregon State Police, including the original letter, who it was sent to, and with a similar response time request.

Quite a few years back, a crotch rocket was weaving through traffic, and someting flew off of him and hit my trucks grill. When I got home, I found a Glock 42 in the bed of my truck, I guess it bounced off the front and landed back there. Anyway, I turned it in the Eugene Police Dept, and they told me that if it was unclaimed in 90 days, it would be mine. I went back after about 4 months to see what happened with it, and surprise, no record of me turning it in. Things that make you go Hmmm.o_O
So, just to make sure I'm reading this right: You relinquished a firearm to police with no receipt?

I expect that Oregon has a public records law that allows you to request a record showing the disposition of the rifle. The agency might refuse under one of the exceptions, which usually include some types of investigations.

I worked for a time in a small town PD in central AZ west of Phoenix. It was so small that there were only 7 patrol and office personel to cover the whole town. 2 to patrol in the day time and 1 each for swing, graveyard, and one relief officer. I almost forgot we had a day dispatcher / clerk, and that's all he did five days a week!
Those patrol duties rotated every few months, I don't remember how many but I'd guess it was 3 months.
OK that's the background, I only drew Day shift when I first started there. The rest of the time I was on Swing or Graveyard shift.
The Chief had 2 favorites on days.
I found out that firearms would disappear from the property locker without being disposed of properly. Paperwork and guns were just gone. Often they were taken from hitch hikers who had them stashed in their back packs.OMG he was carrying concealed!
I was called to the Chief's home one day and there in his front room was a footlocker sitting open, I couldn't help but see it was full of guns that he had taken from the property locker, over the years.
We're talking several hundred, Lord knows how many more he had stashed elsewhere.

Stupid me I was trying along with the Assistant Chief, to get the goods on him and his bully boys, then the assistant COP got drunk and ran off the road and wrecked the fence of a Mexican, who really raised a fuss, my friend was also Mexican and the Mexican community hated him as a traitor to the heritage.
He was a damn good detective but he liked the sauce too much, and he was forced to resign before he would have been charged with DUI, He ended up in another department farther south and west, and I couldn't follow him.

Like I said stupid me o_O I thought I could get the goods without his help. I was finally snitched on and the Chief took me for a ride and read me a riot act about how I should have been more loyal to him. :eek::eek:
He fired me and said bad things which he put in my folder. He also put out the word to anyone who would listen not to hire me, that was mainly the end of my career in law enforcement. I finally moved to Texas to get away from his influence, and stayed there about a year before returning to AZ.
Where I ended up running heavy equipment, which I loved doing! :D:D:D:D:D

I learned later that ADOT that's the State Highway Patrol, finally looked into his doings, and forced him into an early retirement with just a slap on the wrist! :mad::mad::mad:

So yes there can be crooked people in positions of power who take advantage of it. We can see that in our political leaders from city to county and on up the ladder to the top.
We need to get them fired or voted out of office whenever we can!
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews