JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys are right, I called the State Police, not EPD like last time, and they are going to come pick it up from me, AND issue a receipt @RVTECH. They did say that if no owner is found, it would be very unlikely that I would get to keep it. Oh, well, easy come, easy go :) At Ieast I got another target out of the deal

Yeah, in this day and age, you could probably get in trouble if it is in your possesion and not registered to you. I know it's dumb, but that's how it is anymore. I would have contacted the state police and let them handle it..
what registration? there is no registration here.

I do agree, that it might be best to at least report it to the police - who will in turn probably want to take possession of it.

tough call, but even if they take possession of it, I believe that if eventually someone doesn't claim it, then it is finders keepers.

You guys are right, I called the State Police, not EPD like last time, and they are going to come pick it up from me, AND issue a receipt @RVTECH. They did say that if no owner is found, it would be very unlikely that I would get to keep it. Oh, well, easy come, easy go :) At Ieast I got another target out of the deal

They may have special policies for found guns, but I would go ahead and file a claim and use the law regarding found property to press your claim. That is assuming you want it.

They finally came and took it, I was uneasy about them mentioning the whole taking possession unlawfully thing, and I told them this, and that I wasn't thinking and didn't want it to fall into the hands of bad guys. One of the reasons I called them so soon was that I posted this on a public forum, and possibly some anti gun mole would have pointed the cops toward this thread. He said that I did the right thing, and was very nice about it. I told him that if they find the owner, to let me know, and I would get the target back to him. I guess the adventure is over, I kinda feel cheated, but I would have wanted someone else to do the same for me.

They finally came and took it, I was uneasy about them mentioning the whole taking possession unlawfully thing, and I told them this, and that I wasn't thinking and didn't want it to fall into the hands of bad guys. One of the reasons I called them so soon was that I posted this on a public forum, and possibly some anti gun mole would have pointed the cops toward this thread. He said that I did the right thing, and was very nice about it. I told him that if they find the owner, to let me know, and I would get the target back to him. I guess the adventure is over, I kinda feel cheated, but I would have wanted someone else to do the same for me.

Ditto on you did the right thing. Also Ditto to the one Mod here who said what your buddies wanted to do was a dirt bag move. Wanting to part it out to each other.
VERY disturbing to me too that it was left. I am anal at the range packing my stuff up and have almost walked off and left something small item like a screw driver or mag loader laying there. How you leave a rifle leaning against a target????? That is beyond strange. Still you did the correct thing and should never second guess the choice you made. Good on you!!!

You did the right thing for sure. I'm wondering about the legalities of finding a gun and not turning it in. Did they say if anything could have happened to you if you had not reported this?

The other thing is that it would surprise me greatly if law enforcement didn't monitor this forum. Perhaps not every day but certainly from time to time.

It also sucks that you probably won't get to keep it. Lord knows the police don't need to destroy anymore guns. :rolleyes: But if it was a nice rifle, hopefully they give it to an officer that needs one if nobody claims it.

That strange leaving one thing but both are a little over the top.I could see mabey dropping a pistol in not noticing until getting home..lm glad someone responsible found it I can't wait to hear how someone managed to do that. I lost a factory glock 33rd stick once . Fleeing a cloud burst.

Quite a few years back, a crotch rocket was weaving through traffic, and someting flew off of him and hit my trucks grill. When I got home, I found a Glock 42 in the bed of my truck, I guess it bounced off the front and landed back there. Anyway, I turned it in the Eugene Police Dept, and they told me that if it was unclaimed in 90 days, it would be mine. I went back after about 4 months to see what happened with it, and surprise, no record of me turning it in. Things that make you go Hmmm.o_O

The Antis will take things like this and run with it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews