JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Simple answer, If there is no ammo who is going to buy a gun that they can't shoot. This was covered in another thread where some Cabelas are starting to only sell ammo with the purchase of a firearm.

One firearm will last a lifetime, 20rds ammo is usually gone in minutes.

Last Edited:
And a follow up question... why are there still plenty of guns, while there's an obvious shortage of ammo?

ymmv, but I still see plenty of guns for sale at reasonable prices.
Simple answer, If there is no ammo who is going to buy a gun that they can't shoot. This was covered in another thread where some Cabelas are starting to only sell ammo with the purchase of a firearm.

One firearm will last a lifetime, 20rds ammo is usually gone in minutes.

Guns are a "durable" item and with proper care and maintenance can easily last for >100 years. The very first M16A1 that I was issued in the Army was EASILY >15 yrs old (and that's a military service weapon!) before I got my grubs on it.... same with the M60 machineguns, and M203's we used.

I have a Colt AR15A2 and a Beretta 92F that I bought back (around) in 1987 (dam... 34yrs!!)

anyway....

Ammo is a "consumable/finite" item, even if you reload the cases only have so many reload cycles before they fatigue enough where you can't (or shouldn't anyway) use them any longer.

This is a legit question. If people think the opportunity to buy firearms is going to be heavily restricted, you would think they would be clamoring for them. Maybe people don't think that is going to happen?

There was a spike in gun prices and availability. It's strange that the ques are sometimes still 4000-5000 long for a BGC. In my search for ammo firearms are still in limited supply at the places I've been.

With record sales throughout 2020 I believe most people got that first gun they needed and are not willing to pay top dollar for that 2nd or 5th gun. But prices are still inflated. Example, PSA basic complete lowers have gone from $129 to $230 or more. Stripped AR9 lowers start in the low $200s but some pistols like Taurus G2/3 are close to their everyday price. Low $300 range.

If its a quality firearm and well maintained..a firearm can be made to last a few years.:D
Case in point :
Below is my J.Henry flintlock trade rifle , circa 1800- 1820's.
It still goes shooting and hunting with me at times...and works well at too.
I have a elk hide jacket , that came from the last elk I got , using this rifle.
DSC06814.jpg

And as stated by posts above...Ammo is more of a temporary nature and more consumable.

I would argue that firearm prices , in many , if not most cases have risen....Just look at our classifieds :eek: :D
In any event the stores in my area have higher prices on firearms...when they have them in stock.
Andy

Gun prices have gone up a considerable amount maybe certain ones haven't but guns as a whole definitely increased. The abundance of firearms probably has to do with the demand from the start of the pandemic. Start of the pandemic there were no guns to buy but ammo. Now there is plenty of Guns but no ammo.. I have gotten use to this shortage. If I find a good deal on guns or ammo I tend to buy it. I don't foresee the ammo prices or guns dropping down in price. Say goodbye to those pre-covid prices. I just find it funny that during the start of the pandemic the US government made large ammo purchases topped with new gun owners and the sanctions on chinas components which we use for manufacturing ammo. It was the perfect storm to drive prices up and now that you see people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts why decrease profits by dropping prices if people are willing to buying at a higher price point?? The big store I went to they wanted $35 for a 50 rd of aluminum case... The only way prices drop back down is if people just stop buying all together otherwise lord knows when this mess will end!

Cheap guns , but established and/or reliable guns are way up if expressed by % retail markup.
Pump shotguns are the big one I see.
Glocks, XDs, 10 22s , ak pattern rifles.

Nicer guns are more stable, prices are plateaued on most mid to high grade 1911s , quality bolt guns, US made revolvers.

Lot of first time buyers don't realize that a $600+ msrp on a glock 19 is high.
Most of us would go just over 5 NIB , or scrounge up a used one for 400 or less.

Another point is that new guns were flowing from production at a good pace already. Retail shelves were bare in my area 10 months ago, but have refilled since.
Last one , gun stores don't make much money on guns. It's the other stuff that pulls in high gross % profit.

This is a legit question. If people think the opportunity to buy firearms is going to be heavily restricted, you would think they would be clamoring for them. Maybe people don't think that is going to happen?

That or people already own or already bought so many guns that they don't want to spend more money compared to their other bills. I have a colleague who went from 0 guns to 2 pistols and 2 AR's in a matter of months. He seems to be content for now since he's not even shot some of them.

because the govt, doesn't need to take our guns. They only need to stop the ammo and components. Guns are useless without something to come out the other end.

I have without a doubt seen prices go up in recent memory, some substantially so, on firearms. Both with interests for my own collection and the side firearms business (01 FFL) I operate.

Outside of YouTubers I think a lot of people feel with the current split in the senate and the way the supreme court is sitting it's unlikely we see any major ban. Not saying it isn't possible, that just seems to be the feeling a lot of people have.

As for OP's question...no point in buying a gun if you can't get ammo. I've been eyeing a 357 magnum lever action for some time, but don't see the point if I can't shoot it. I've had friends ask about purchasing firearms and my response is always the same "Yea you should get a gun, but good luck finding ammo for it right now"

I think the biggest reason is the price points. Ammo costs less than guns so more people can buy to the store or personal limit. For example, I can go into Bi-Mart and see that they have .223 but have a 2 box limit. It's the first time I have seen .223 in 6 months so I buy 2 boxes (their limit) even though it is $11/box. My friend calls me crazy, I say look at the price online. I can't buy 1, 2, or 5 guns when I go in because that costs far more money. Also, no one is waiting outside for the store to open, hoping to score their limit on guns, they are doing it for ammo.

Prices on guns may not have skyrocketed across the board but prices are up, availability is down, and there are no sales or discounts. They still can't keep guns in stock.

I still see plenty of guns for sale at reasonable prices.
Where?

Online, I see a lot of guns that were for sale but that sell out very quickly, except for high dollar items and a few other categories like target pistols (S&W 41 seems available) and some hunting guns. Off brand shotguns seem to be available. The AR platform seems finally available again. Find me a 12ga 590 Shockwave for $269 and we can talk.

Went into the LGS to consign one of my rifles, guy in the store claimed they sell them "all day", other guy raised an eyebrow, looked it up, couldn't find any that were, you know, actually in stock. The pistol case was almost empty, cleanest I've seen it ever.

But if you want a Browning 12ga from the '50s I know where you can get one for $600.

All the stores around here are either empty or quickly become that way. Even the Walmart shotguns evaporate like its the Mohave. Sure, there are the stragglers, but if you're looking for something specific, you're either in for a long wait or going to pay through the nose or both. For instance, pre pandemic, I was entertaining a Ruger Mark IV Target with a threaded barrel. Should be right around $600ish. Haven't seen one in a LONG time. One just sold on Gunbroker for over $1300. Another example, I recently did inventory for insurance purposes and was looking up replacement costs. My 2018 Marlin 1894CSBL, which I bought for $850, is averaging $2,000 - $3,000 on completed auctions with one hitting $4,000. These are not some historically significant, ultra rare firearms; these are ones that are being sold new in box by vendors and recently produced. Sure, ARs and Glocks may only have a slight bump in cost (50% - 100%) or are obtainable at reasonable prices if you're in the right place at the right time (like Bi-mart had a Glock 19 gen 5 for $539 last time I was in there), but anything even slightly less ubiquitous seems to have sky rocketed. Although, frankly, given the current political climate, the guns I am after will likely still be available in a couple years, but the ARs and Glocks may not. So I guess look at it as a blessing and stock up on those now if you haven't already. Oh, and grab a bunch of magazines before they're gone too. I'm amazed standard capacity magazines are still as available and affordable as they are, all in all considered.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top