JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you really want to actually sell your firearms?

Go to gunbroker, look at the COMPLETED sales, look at what ACTUALLY SOLD, and for what price, do not look at what is being ASKED, look at what is being PAID for in completed sales.

OK, now you know what your firearm is probably worth. ...

I think there is something of a value difference between buying online as opposed to buying FTF.

When it comes to buying used guns online, you are buying sight unseen, some sellers post excellent photographs others not so much, some are honest and detailed in their descriptions, others not. I once purchased a rifle online, the ad featured just one photo of rather mediocre quality, but figured I'd take the chance; turns out they touched up a good deal of finish wear with a sharpie, on top of that the trigger would not reset (they didn't mention this in the ad), both of these issues could have easily been detected if buying in person. In most cases, buying used doesn't come with a manufacturers warranty so the importance of being able to inspect is indeed great. Furthermore, buying FTF allows you to go home with your gun that same day as opposed to hassling with forwarding FFL info, waiting on shipping, etc.

I personally would be willing to pay a little more if I could at least have the opportunity to inspect what I am buying first and get to take it with me that same day should I choose to buy it.

I have sold a couple guns and had an ebay store. Here are some tips:

#1 Always have GOOD pictures.
#2 Have a relevant and descriptive heading.
#3 Be patient
#4 Lower your price every 2 weeks or so. (Your guns are only WORTH what someone is willing to PAY for them)
#5 Edit your ads constantly to work out better grammar and wording. (You are trying to be a salesman here)

You're selling it for half of what it's worth... but is that really what it costs brand new? Keep in mind farkle and modifications rarely add value unless they're exactly what the other person wants.

Most of the classifieds section listings I see are for items that are exactly the same price as brand new, but include $40 worth of ammo maybe and a few little nick nacks of no value or pistol grips or folding stocks that I don't want.

I just gave up on looking. It looks more to me like people don't really want to sell their firearms but their wife must be forcing them to sell, so they listed it so high it won't sell.

How well do customs move on the second market?

Say I dropped a pretty penny on a Les Baer 1911, am I going to one do be looking at selling it for $500 even though I'm $2600 into it? (I guess I might just be asking how well Les Baer holds value.)

I think Tactical HD, & Handguns typically sell better as long as the price is accurately reflected. Accessories typically don't increase the price. You probably going to be better off listing an AR separately @ a lower price, than with an Eotech that bumps the gun over new base retail. Even if it's a good deal, many people would rather buy the base gun cheap & accessorize as they see fit. Also, customization will not typically yeild a good return. People aren't going to pay a premium for what you wanted. It may even devalue the item to somebody...as what you percieve as an upgrade, they may see as only a potential cost to fix if it's not what they like.

Trap guns & hunting rigs are a different story. They are difficult to sell. You really need to find that one person who wants that specific gun and is willing to buy it used. Connecting with that individual is everything. For example, I have a medium caliber rifle for deer and a larger caliber for elk. In my mind, I've pretty much covered my needs for hunting rifles...yet I would have no problem buying another 10 handguns. I also don't have a problem buying a non-carry handgun used. Yet if I need that gun to perform perfectly at an undisclosed moment, and my life or an animal's is dependent on the gun I'm carrying, I will not buy used...I just personally won't take the risk.

Research is the name of the game. Find out who wants the gun & what the going online price is for new & used. Be prepared to sit on them for a while and probably take a decent hit on the price. Also, the price needs to reflect online sales...not what you paid for the gun. For example, I see many XD's listed in the classifieds for a while. I'm guessing the scenario is something like this: Joe Blow buys a new XD at local shop for $499. He shoots 200 rounds through it & then decides to post it. It gets priced at $450 plus 50 round of ammo. He thinks it's fitting as he's taking a $50 hit, plus throwing in ammo...good deal, right? The problem is that Palmetto Armory runs a special for a NIB XD Essentials package for $369 shipped. That prices his used XD $100 too high. He may sell it, but many people would rather buy new online, and contribute the savings to an IWB or Springer trigger job. Research, research, research...

It's tough selling a gun. That's why I try to just buy/trade. You may also want to open your ad to trade offers if you haven't already...you might be suprised at what somebody will trade vs buying.

When I think about it, I bought my .308 used because it came with a new second stock, bull barrel, some middle ground glass and a timney trigger in left hand for really short money, I traded a fishing rod and $200 for it, because the guy just couldn't move the damn thing. It's a tack driver, but he had been selling it for months. New on it would be $700 online, plus the new stock, plus a couple hundred for the glass, and I think the trigger was another $100. So maybe $1150 retail or more plus the cost of the bull barrel.

Will I sell it? Doubtful unless I could line up a hooked buyer who has shot it and "needs" it. On the other hand, an AR? Those are probably easy to buy and sell used, quickly, with decent recovery on investment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top