JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...when they are in your backyard, eating your flowers, roses, strawberries, apples, pears, grapes and tulips?

I've got a mature doe, 2 2yr old does, and a 2yr old spike buck (small) pursuing them.

I've got a hair tag for my backyard, the question is:

Should I fill the tag now, or wait till they are all impregnated?

Shoot it now, why wait?

I've never understood, why Oregon makes you wait until the last half of the general season to shoot a doe? If your buck hunting, that's when you want to watch the does, not kill them. :confused:

are you refering to shooting the buck after to does are inpregnated ?

i would say if your wanting to insure future deer then wait although there may be a bigger buck out waiting . i take it with a hair tag you can shoot a spike?

Yes, I can tag either gender regardless of size. The does would be tender and the buck is young enough that he would be tender too.

The fact they eat just about everything generally has been a frustration. The doe and 2yr olds we have watched grow since they had their spots. Cute at that age, but it's hard to have your roses and tulips eaten to the ground.

Don't wait too long. I had a nice buck show up in my back yard in the middle of the day on the last Thursday of last season. I waited about 15 minutes to finish what I was doing and then he was gone. :(

A spike in the freezer is a sure thing and Great Eatin too :D
There's plenty of bucks to go around to take care of the does.
It's a good chance that that spike was one of her's anyways. Spread the gene pool. The next time you see a spike with the girls, he could be much bigger. Just a thought

Don't wait too long. I had a nice buck show up in my back yard in the middle of the day on the last Thursday of last season. I waited about 15 minutes to finish what I was doing and then he was gone. :(

Yep, same thing happened to me last season. I didn't take the opportunity and then I never saw them again until well after the season had ended.

My family and I harvest Blacktails every year, I have never had a tough steak from a Blacktail, Particularly hamburger... Must be the way it is being cooked...
If you kill a spike, You will have about enough meat for a couple bowls of chili...
I would guess at the butchers hanging about fifty pounds, Then subtract about 20% of the weight for bone, Yep, a couple bowls of chili...:s0155:

These are good eats...:s0155:

3buckfight.jpg

Deer population definately seems to be on the rise. Have 3 or 4 does living in the woods behind my house. They often eat the apples falling from my trees right in the front yard. This year we have a young buck as well for the first time.

as for me, i'd rather get a mature buck and let the little fella's get big.never quite understood shooting something when all you get is 50 lbs of meat or less.no one in the US lives completely off the land, and they dont have any reason not to hold off for a bigger animal.if bragging and just wanting to fill your tag is your goal,then to each his own.as for does, i'd shoot them beginning of the season so they dont get a little deer started in the womb. dont need to take 2 lives for 1.

Since many of you are describing deer in your yards and property I would like to know if any of you have ever tried fishing for Deer. This little known but effective method of getting a Deer takes all the hassle out of getting up early, scouting, long walks etc. It works like this, Fabricate a large fish hook out of a section of 1/2" round cold roll and sharpen the "hook" end. Hang this in a tree by a length of chain about 3' above the average head height of the deer in your area. Since Deer love apples (and this works really well wherever apple trees are abundant as deer, especially Whitetails, love apples) stab several apples on the hook as bait. Do this in the late afternoon/early evening when Deer like to feed and leave the area. Come back early the next morning and you will have a Deer hanging from your hook. Works every time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top