JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So in other words, It's about $10 in good ammo to confirm zero after the cover has been removed.
Not ideal, but not a deal breaker I suppose.

I've never had an AK type gun but I didn't completely strip my FAL every time I shot it.
Even shooting old OHV Indian ammo didn't really require scrubbing every square inch of the gun from the breech back.

Carb cleaner and a bore snake was about all the extent of my cleaning.
Blow it out with shop air and re-lube.
Most times though I just ran a bore snake down it, re-lubed and called it good.

I really don't see the need to completely strip this gun either, unless you shoot corrosive ammo through it.
But barring that, did the action on it get fouled enough to warrant removing the cover each time?

With the FAL you don't need to remove the cover to clean it, unless you have the paratrooper version (in which case the recoil spring and rod are in the cover, DSA's paratrooper railed cover solves that issue). With the AK you need to remove the top cover in order to clean it. However, the krinkov has a hinged cover, and there are hinged rails for the AK (zenitco, parabellum, chaos USA, etc). If the Galil Ace had a hinged cover, a well designed one anyways, it wouldn't have said issue nor would it have risk for said issue.

The action never really got fouled, but I removed the top cover once to test it out and that was the first time I did so after initial cleaning. Mostly because like the original Galil, the Ace's top cover is a pain to put back on.

Cost coupled with top cover needing to be removed to properly clean bore and associated zero shift is a deal breaker for me with the galil. I took my frakenfal and put a paratrooper folding stock on it as well as a dsa para rail cover and still have less than a grand into it and she runs great. With good qr optic mounts zero shift is negligible.

The original Galil could have a side mount for optics. The rear sight isn't an issue, a peep sight won't weigh enough to matter and it isn't precise enough to have a shift (let alone a noticable one). Which is why you can successfully put a rear sight on an AK cover, but not an optic (unless its a hinged rail, like the Zenitco B-33, Beryl Archer rail, etc).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top