JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Fredie's here had never sold guns at all. Did have ammo since I moved back in 92. I had no idea any of them did till I was in Puyallup one day. Had to stop for something on the way home. When I walked in I saw a Ruger banner in the back. So I of course had to see why. I was shocked to see a gun counter with Black Rifles and had guns. When I mentioned it at work a co worker said oh yeah, they have always had them there and at a couple others. I just had no idea since the 2 here never had.
Now as for wages at ANY store this always makes me smile. People complain about the pay at some store where they shop. Don't like the wages? Don't shop there. As for the workers. No one put a gun to their head to work there. Don't like the wages? Get another job. Can't make more money? Get more education. There is all the money anyone needs or wants if they want to work for it. Many of course want to make 100K a year and know nothing or do nothing.
My point about wages was that somebody who could run the counter could probably also make more elsewhere. Just to clarify that.
Sorry if it may sound rude... But are any of them politicians? Cause I know plenty of them make a lot and know nothing as well as do nothing!
They're retail store managers...

OTOH, at my local Fred's I see the GM both on the floor helping customers and manning a checkout himself pretty regularly... so they're not all Wastes of Breathable Oxygen. :)
thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers-2.jpg

If I keep looking, maybe I will also find a helpful manager at Fred Meyer's. In spite of their awful stores, with little customer assistance, and terrible managers, they are the hands down favorite and very successful.

Very recently, as they were rearranging the entire Oregon City store, I could not get any help finding some things. When I finally encountered a manager and told him I was being ignored by the employees, he apologized, but walked off. Even he would not offer any help.

Last Edited:
I worked at Freddy's for 5 years (88-93), worked at Oregon City, Gresham, Hollywood West and was on the opening crew for the Johnson Creek store. I had considered making a career there as some other friends had done. At that time, looking at a District Manager position easily put you over 6 figures and a pretty decent job. To get there though, I found out you had to get in line with the good old boys club and had to pay your dues to certain folks to gain those positions. I made it to assistant manager. Butt when I looked at whose butts I'd have to kiss to get where I wanted to go, I realized I wasn't going to be able to make it - I'm just not the azz-kissing type. If they can't promote based on skill and ability, I don't want to be part of it.

At the time I was there, Fred's was owned by KKR, Kroger hadn't entered the picture yet. Even then, KKR wasn't highly regarded by the employees, especially those that went back before KKR bought them in 1981. Seems it's been downhill ever since. I did enjoy my time there and met some great folks, but there was a limit to what I would take from them vs what they would give me in return. I still shop there and still have friends that work there even 25 years later, but it's not the store it used to be.

Last Edited:
Not that I helped much, but BOY HAS THIS POST DEGENERATED!!! For those that think I have something against camo, it is the new black at Walmart. Hunting, yes, shopping, no - unless you are at Cabelas trying to match your jacket to a new pair of pants.

Around here we have people either out on day hunts, or going to or from hunting trips, from August thru January. So sorry you have to suffer so much fashion booboos in your area. Any other proscriptions/prescriptions or fashion no nos you want to share?????? Hmmmmmmmmmm??? Judgemental much????????????????

There are exceptions to every generalized statement! LoL

I know of one as well.
No doubt. Even at places like Wally there are always some who really go out of their way to do right. Decades ago I had a bad one at a Freddie. Went in to buy some stuff in the electronics. Then you had to pay there for it. As it comes my turn cashier see's someone he knows and runs out to gab with them while I stand there. He points to other cashier. I take my stuff to her. She is having a meet and greet with someone too. First one tries to get her attention a couple times but is not willing to leave his friends. I finally walked out. Went back to main help desk to ask for store manager. I was told it's Sunday there is none, just each department has one. So I ask for electronics and of course the guy still having a gab fest is that manager. So I went to Sears and bought the stuff I left there. I wrote a letter about this to the headquarters that were in OR at that time. Figured it would get filed under go away and I would never hear. I have to say it impressed me. I soon got a letter from that manager. He had been forwarded my letter. Said at each morning they had a managers meeting. He read my letter aloud at the meeting to tell his managers how disappointed he was. He also gave me his hours at the store and invited me to look him up to tell me in person how bad he felt. It got me to shop at his store again. I fully expected them to give a crap less. Sadly many would care less. There are of course always some good ones.

Last Edited:
Around here we have people either out on day hunts, or going to or from hunting trips, from August thru January. So sorry you have to suffer so much fashion booboos in your area. Any other proscriptions/prescriptions or fashion no nos you want to share?????? Hmmmmmmmmmm??? Judgemental much????????????????
Sorry if I pushed any buttons. Hunters going to and from are not the people that I am referring to. The people that I am referring to are people evidently making a fashion statement at Wallys. The camo has never been and won't ever be off road. I shouldn't make too much fun of others dress. I am not exactly a fashionista in my Levis, t-shirt, tennis shoes and denim vest. I don't hunt anymore, but still have a selection of camo hunting clothes.

Sorry if it may sound rude... But are any of them politicians? Cause I know plenty of them make a lot and know nothing as well as do nothing!
LOL, forgot about them. Yeah, I've known a few.
Usually we call this level of cluelessness and utter uselessness "Management." :D
Absolutely. There are also people in very technical fields who seem to thrive on BS alone. Takes all kinds. If I get tired of what I'm doing I may go back into management so I can catch up on my sleep.

This guy was in front of me at Harbor Freight. I asked the cashier, "Whatever happened to No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service?" I told her I don't want to see that. She says, "No one does. But the manager says he won't refuse a paying customer." :confused:
Resized_20170905_134851.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews