JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
United States Drunk Driving Car Accident Statistics (2009)

Three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some point in their lives.

Of fatal accidents in 2009, 32 percent involved alcohol-impaired drivers.

On average, one person died every 48 minutes in 2009 due to an alcohol-impaired driver.

In 2009, 14 percent of children ages 14 and younger killed in crashes died because of alcohol.

*** More than 181 children were killed due to drivers who were drunk. ***

In 2009, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico made it illegal to drive with a BAC of .08 or higher. Of the 10,839 people who died in an alcohol-related crash, 7,281 (67 percent) had drivers with BACs above the legal limit.

For fatal crashes occurring from midnight to 3 a.m., 66 percent involved alcohol-impaired driving.

On New Year’s Day, 468 people were killed in car accidents. Alcohol-impaired driving contributed to 40 percent of them.

Fatal crashes involving alcohol-impaired drivers occurred four times more at night than during the day (37 percent versus 9 percent).

Of the drivers involved in fatal crashes, 30 percent of males had a BAC of .01+ and 25 percent had a BAC of .08+; 16 percent of women had a BAC of .01+ and 14 percent had a BAC of .08+.

Of people ages 21 to 24 involved in fatal crashes, 35 percent had a BAC above the legal limit.

Drivers with a BAC level of .08 or higher in fatal crashes were eight times more likely to have a prior conviction for driving while under the influence.

The most frequently recorded BAC level among drinking drivers in fatal crashes was .17, which is more than twice the legal limit.

they have. in a lot of states there are check points that check for possible duii. here in oregon over the past five years or so the rules have become more strict including mandatory rule set. i myself recently got a duii. thats the only reason why i know. about five years ago you could get a duii and if your lucky pay a 100 to 300 fine and get your license back. most people only had to pay the fine and take a sort class on why duii is bad.

nowadays you are given a mandatory 90 day suspension for getting a duii from the DMV and then also given a 90 day to 1 year suspension from the justice courts. you normally spend at least one day in jail for a first offender(i did.) you are then mandated to take counseling from an alcohol and drug addiction place. the one i went to was a 90 sobriety deal with check ups and random urine test. the urine test were accurate up to 5 days because they test your protiens and enzymes. not just for alcohol.

the fees/fines normally are at least 500. i paid 600 total to the courts and 1600 to the counseling place and 1500 for my lawyer. pay lost from days lost of work is probably 400-500. to get the car back i had to pay 150 for the fees to the salem courts then another 150 to go gt the car. then there is reinstating your license 175. if your are lucky like i was you dont have to do community service. most are mandated 80 hrs service.

but all in all they have been cracking down on duii in oregon at least. i can attest to that because in the 90 days i saw many different people coming in for duii and leaving because they had finished.
a lot has changed in those years but people didnt change much. i think it is because people do not know of the consequences of getting a duii. for me i lost a total of 5075-5175 dollars and dont forget my time loss. thats 90 days of sobriety, it was three to four days a week at the counseling for 3-4 hours depending on the session. then the day in jail i spent.

looking at it over i think i got very lucky. if i remember correctly the maximum fine is 6500 and 1 year in jail then 2 years probation and you still have to take counseling. thats just for first offenders. and not counting court fees and lawyer fees. and the fees to get your car back. or to buy a new car if you wreck yours.

i dont know much about second or third but i do know there is no fourth.
after the third duii in oregon your license is permanently suspended. and the fourth one is a free ticket to the grey wall hotel.

i thank you for posting this jbett. not enough people know about duii and its problems. but Oregon is doing something about it.

My post was to point out that 181 children were killed in drunk driver involved car accidents in 2009 and sinch a child died every other day, why hasn't some politician demand some sort of breathalyzer ignition block in all cars being made to stop the needless waste of life.

the cost of maintenance would have to be justified. it cost roughly 200 to install a IID (as it is acronym-ed) onto a newer car and about 80 a month to maintain it. im not sure if the older cars can get one but i bet there is one out there for it. not a bad choice if you ever wanted to stop all drunk driving. but the end all choice to stop duii is to stop alcohol consumption. and thats not possible imo.

spread knowledge of duii around and it will slowly stop. a smart drinker saves lives.

Maybe we should limit the case size from 24+ to 10. Placing a $200 tax stamp on kegs would also help.

Wait i know! bring back the 18th AMD that will do it!

Man i never thought of this, lol. You sir are polititian material. :) Now you just need to have no logic or conscience either and you have a new career path!!!

United States Drunk Driving Car Accident Statistics (2009)

Three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some point in their lives.

Of fatal accidents in 2009, 32 percent involved alcohol-impaired drivers.

On average, one person died every 48 minutes in 2009 due to an alcohol-impaired driver.

In 2009, 14 percent of children ages 14 and younger killed in crashes died because of alcohol.

*** More than 181 children were killed due to drivers who were drunk. ***

In 2009, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico made it illegal to drive with a BAC of .08 or higher. Of the 10,839 people who died in an alcohol-related crash, 7,281 (67 percent) had drivers with BACs above the legal limit.

For fatal crashes occurring from midnight to 3 a.m., 66 percent involved alcohol-impaired driving.

On New Year's Day, 468 people were killed in car accidents. Alcohol-impaired driving contributed to 40 percent of them.

Fatal crashes involving alcohol-impaired drivers occurred four times more at night than during the day (37 percent versus 9 percent).

Of the drivers involved in fatal crashes, 30 percent of males had a BAC of .01+ and 25 percent had a BAC of .08+; 16 percent of women had a BAC of .01+ and 14 percent had a BAC of .08+.

Of people ages 21 to 24 involved in fatal crashes, 35 percent had a BAC above the legal limit.

Drivers with a BAC level of .08 or higher in fatal crashes were eight times more likely to have a prior conviction for driving while under the influence.

The most frequently recorded BAC level among drinking drivers in fatal crashes was .17, which is more than twice the legal limit.
Add this too:
If the government REALLY wanted to save lives they need to limit medical mistakes and limit access to motor vehicles.

Deaths from avoidable medical error more than double in past decade, investigation shows

"The total number of iatrogenic deaths shown in the following table is 783,936. It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States"

From: Medical system is leading cause of death and injury in US - Health Supreme

"Of the total 323,993 deaths among Medicare patients in those years who developed one or more patient-safety incidents, 263,864, or 81 percent, of these deaths were directly attributable to the incident(s)."

From: In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

"In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents in the US. There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents."

"In the U.S. for 2006, there were 30,896 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 16,883; Homicide 12,791; Accident 642; Legal Intervention 360; Undetermined 220."

FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top