JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The high prices is kinda funny. Now it would be nice if the price had to be in the title. It would save a lot of time wasting. I just went and looked at a new post for an HK USP Compact 40. The guy wants $825. :s0114:

You guys can be a bunch of fricken hyenas. What the guy is saying, is that it seems as though people here fret and fret over price, then immediately flip the gun for big profit. I believe the same is happening with ammo as well. He isn't talking about someone who bought a gun, held onto it, and sold it for a profit later so he could get something else.

There are loads of people on here that don't seem to give a rip about firearms at all, only buying as low as possible and selling at a profit. While being borderline illegal (depends on how much you buy and sell), it does seem to go a bit outside of someone collecting firearms, and instead becomes a bunch of used car salesmen running around making profitable deals.

Now, I'm 100% personal freedom all the way, so I think those people should have the right to do this, and the fools who purchase overpriced firearms should also be parted with their money, but it does start to feel like a lot of people here don't care about guns, collecting, firing, appreciating, and instead just will buy anything that they can turn for a buck. Hard to pinpoint some people that do it because it does get into a bit of a grey area, but some guys are straight up blatant about it.

Anyhow, (buy and) sell on! When I see people who I feel are negatively impacting the community, gouging folks just 'cuz they can ($50 bricks of junk 22lr come to mind) I simply put those people on my "do not do business" list for later on

I recently sold about 15 guns on the forum, they were gone in a few days. I guess I could have listed them for more but I didn't. They weren't Kimbers just Rugers and Springfields and Glocks. I mentally fixed the prices at what I paid for them minus 10% for wear(I did shoot them) they were all well kept and mechanically excellent. It never occurred to me to sell a Glock 21sf as new for more than $500 as that's what I paid for it minus a bit for wear. Its the way I was raised, if I bought a tractor for $1000 and when my neighbors gives out and needs one for plowing I'm not going to tell him he can have mine for $1300 cause I know he's in a spot. I even felt guilty because I got $50 more on a sale than I paid and driving home I felt like I had stolen it. Of course rare items have a different value system but I'm talking about these past few months and run of the mill guns. I know what earned money is and I feel uncomfortable with someone elses $ in my pocket that came from asking more than I got into it.
I too have lost money on every sale but then I dont lose sleep because I cheated someone out of an extra $150.

I recently sold about 15 guns on the forum, they were gone in a few days. I guess I could have listed them for more but I didn't. They weren't Kimbers just Rugers and Springfields and Glocks. I mentally fixed the prices at what I paid for them minus 10% for wear(I did shoot them) they were all well kept and mechanically excellent. It never occurred to me to sell a Glock 21sf as new for more than $500 as that's what I paid for it minus a bit for wear. Its the way I was raised, if I bought a tractor for $1000 and when my neighbors gives out and needs one for plowing I'm not going to tell him he can have mine for $1300 cause I know he's in a spot. I even felt guilty because I got $50 more on a sale than I paid and driving home I felt like I had stolen it. Of course rare items have a different value system but I'm talking about these past few months and run of the mill guns. I know what earned money is and I feel uncomfortable with someone elses $ in my pocket that came from asking more than I got into it.
I too have lost money on every sale but then I dont lose sleep because I cheated someone out of an extra $150.

For what you paid for them? Tell me you at least included inflation in that equation? so several years ago you paid 420 retail for a glock, take 42 dollars off and sell it for 378? what if that glock now retails for 580? shouldnt you go off current retail value minus 10%(if in fact the firearm has 10% wear) and sell it for 522? thats a big difference.... if you always let your money bleed for you that isnt too smart and you will always end up behind the curve. Just like a savings account. I purchase and collect guns knowing that in 3 or 4 years if i ever need money they will have kept ahead of inflation. Even if i sell at a good deal i have always made money on the few guns i have sold. Not a lot on the guns but at least i have never taken a loss on one.

Ok, after watching the hoards buying up everything that was out there for Dec., Jan. and Feb. is now seems like there is a little bit of "buyers remorse" or mild profiteerism. Since I just bought a M&P compact .40 for retail ($440) it is amusing to see all the classifieds for $550 and $600 for the same thing used. I do ask my self is there really a market at these levels?

I think about the following:
1. People pay for expediency, especially when things are not regularly in stock (i.e. I can put in a order at my LBS for ~$380 and save $60 but I would have to wait three months.).
2. Some people live in places where there are small volume guns stores or retailers that stock generic product (10/22s, S&W Sigmas, Tarus, etc.), and just can't get to PDX, Tacoma, Seattle or Olympia to look for a specific gun.
3. Are there people buying used guns who can't really get them legally?
3a. Are there some people buying guns who want to be off the radar and are willing to pay a premium?
4. Are some guns (M&P shield 9mm) just more desirable than others and in higher demand? (i.e. how much is a .380 bersa inflated comparatively?).
5. Given everything going on lately, the incentive to give the "bro" deal has diminished. (I always like to see something I treasure go to someone who will equally appreciate it)

So, I really don't see much problem with people posting appreciated values. You, as the consumer, have the power to google (via gunbroker) and determine the retail and/or used value and decide how much you want that gun. You as the seller, can decide to sell the gun under market value to the type of person you appreciate. You would be giving up some short term gain for long term development of the community. So, in that light, does anyone have a Sig P229 SAS that they want to see go to caring home that will put a thousand rounds a year through it and fondle it while watching Black hawk Down?
;-]

Cheated? It sounds like you have some personal demons to deal with. If someone asks a price and another person agrees to pay that price there is no cheating involved unless the item is advertised as something it is not.

Do you own a home and did you buy it many years ago? If so please let me know when you are selling it.

Do you own a home and did you buy it many years ago? If so please let me know when you are selling it.

Not exactly the same as what people are getting upset about. There is a huge difference between buying something, it appreciating in value and then selling it.... And some schmuck going to bimart when everyone else has to work, buying up some bulk packs of 9mm, 223, and 22lr, and them doubling the price when they put them up for sake the same day.

This whole gun and ammo scare has made me realize one thing though. Gun owners always talk about rights, community, yadda yadda, but when the SHTF, we act like everybody else and take advantage of our own kind at the very thought of profit, all under the guise of "hey man, supply and demand". Won't make the mistake of thinking otherwise again. I've cut many people in on good deals around here, and at least two have taken that gift and scalped the items for big profit. DONE.

Not exactly the same as what people are getting upset about. There is a huge difference between buying something, it appreciating in value and then selling it.... And some schmuck going to bimart when everyone else has to work, buying up some bulk packs of 9mm, 223, and 22lr, and them doubling the price when they put them up for sake the same day.

This whole gun and ammo scare has made me realize one thing though. Gun owners always talk about rights, community, yadda yadda, but when the SHTF, we act like everybody else and take advantage of our own kind at the very thought of profit, all under the guise of "hey man, supply and demand". Won't make the mistake of thinking otherwise again. I've cut many people in on good deals around here, and at least two have taken that gift and scalped the items for big profit. DONE.

I'll just put in how great the community is here. You don't know what simple acts of kindness that people have shown and what that meant to me, and is definately a pay-it-forward moment.

Thanks

@bigboy, I agree with what you said totally. I am a young guy and don't have the collection/supply that most of you have. I have a full time job and cannot wait outside Bimart for the doors to open every day. It really makes me think if I want to go out and target practice with the little bit I have. I think it is an attitude of selfishness, more than profiteering.

I have personally dealt with @taylor and he is a great guy and really has a passion for firearms and cares about your fellow man. :) I hope to be that way as my collection grows and I deal with some of the new generations "young guys".

This is the way I think and its just the way I am: if it took me 50 hours of my labor to buy a certain Glock who am I to ask someone else to work an extra 15 hours to buy the very same Glock from me.

I was addressing exactly what the OP said. He said he takes a loss on every gun and doesn't lose sleep thinking he "cheated" someone. An old worn out house certainly can't be worth more than when he bought it can it? ;)

Personal property is personal property. People can ask what they want for items they own. I'm not defending or complaining about people trying to make profit. I protest by not buying things for more than I want to spend. I have gotten good deals from this board and I've paid a little more than I would have had I shopped around. I have sold things for a loss and I have profited. I don't buy things just to sell but I'm not going to put too much engergy into complaining about those who do. Those who are here just for profit aren't likely reading the discussion forums anyway.

Ha, that is a good point JAFO, those jokers are out buying all the ammo while we complain about it, lol

And I hope everyone didn't take my comments as what I think of the people here as a whole. Not at all, I've made friends here, made great/not-so-great deals/horrible deals... And they all had one thing in common... I agreed to them.

I don't think anyone should be stopped from charging whatever they like for their guns and ammo, guess I was just surprised by how fast and nasty things went south in the gun community overall.

I am so sick of these ads where someone paid $500 for a used firearm a month ago, shot it a few times and now has it listed for $700 (or more). It makes me ashamed to be a fellow member of this forum to see such outright greed. Doesn't anyone believe in passing a good firearm on for what they paid for it? Part of being a member of this forum is the idea of community, and brotherhood, that we share a common belief of personal freedom. And its not to skin other members for what you think you can get out of them.
I'm amending this to exclude those of you who aren't greedy B++++++s and do sell at a decent price. I'm only concerned with the rash of outright selfishness that I see too often.

rustled-jimmies-4-bronwinningg-tumblr-1.png

Im not making a dime off the glock im selling, hell im loosing big time on it. Bought it last month for 410 and put some meprolight sights on it for 74.95. Got er up for 425 now and i've still got people trying to talk me down.

This is another aspect of this issue. What gets me is that some people want something for nothing. (or close to nothing.)

Ya its really quite aphalling some of the offers ive gotten, one guy had the balls to tell me 300 was as low as he could go seeing as it was a gen 2. If im gonna give it away ill go donate it to a softball team so they can raffle it off just to watch the anti gunners cringe

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top