JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Placement trumps caliber.

Bullets matter more than headstamps.

I saw a vid on YouTube of a guy shooting a white tail doe through the ribs with a 50 BMG and she took off running. I'll try to find it.
She ran but it opened up a flap on her side like unzipping a raincoat. Impressive to say the least. And not what I expected.

Here's my .460 Wby story.......

In the early '90s I worked the gun counter at Larry's in Oregon City. Someone traded in a Mark V chambered in .460 along with a box of ammo missing one single round. In hindsight, that single round should have been a huge red flag.

Fast forward a couple weekends, A bunch of us from the store are at Squaw Mt. behind Estacada for an afternoon of shooting. We brought along the Mark V for what we called "Test and Evaluation". Me, being the manly type, volunteered to try it first. I loaded up three rounds, aimed at a large stump, pulled the rifle in tight and touched it off.

Pain is sometimes described using the 1 to 10 scale with 1 being mild and 10 being unbearable. I would put the recoil impulse of that cartridge at about a high 6 to low 7. I had previously shot the .458 Win on another outing. Take that recoil and double it to get an idea of the .460.

After the intense pain in my shoulder subsided, I gave thumbs up to my co-workers and fired off the remaining two rounds. Two days later I had to go see a chiropractor.

There is a reason why professional hunters in Africa won't let their clients use it.

-E-
In the old Weatherby catalogs they showed the princess of Monaco blasting the big 5 with one no problems.. pre muzzle brake.
She weighed 90 lbs.

I'd like to shoot one, at least once, anyway.
No desire spend the money to do so, but I've always been intrigued.
I did buy a 375 Ruger "just because". Bought a S&W 500 for about the same reason, but neither of those required the financial investment of the Weatherby.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top