JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive got carpet installers coming tomorrow to to the upstairs of the Palais de Wired. and floor refinishers doing the downstairs. Had my wife help me move a few guns between safes downstairs to up as I was cleaning the shop and don't really like to keep a few that rust when you look at them funny in that safe. The South Carolina humidity is brutal to the unclimatized and to weak blued finishes. HK mags rust when you look at them sideways.

So anyway the wife is dragging an AK up the stairs asking "why do you need so many guns? " not in the actually wanting an honest answer sort of way but more in the naggy sort of stop spending money on crap sort of way.

My only answer was...

What if I need to equip a platoon?

Keep it going...

View attachment 1030133
I don't understand the question lolololol.

If someone respectfully asks why I have X number of guns, I might respectfully answer. But if they said, you don't need so many guns I would consider the source and how ignorant they are of firearms

Some will clutch the pearls at two. You have two guns?! Good lawd.

If someone respectfully asks why I have X number of guns, I might respectfully answer. But if they said, you don't need so many guns I would consider the source and how ignorant they are of firearms

Some will clutch the pearls at two. You have two guns?! Good lawd.
It's a loaded question. Any person willing to listen and objectively consider and honest answer, would already know why.

I think evolution works by making us tend to enjoy the things it takes for us to survive--eating food, hunting and gathering, sex, etc. I have proposed in other posts that ability to aim weapons--stones, clubs, spears, arrows, bullets--has been so integral to our survival for so long that the drive to enjoy throwing and aiming is now actually built into our DNA. Many of our sports involve aiming a ball of some sort. I thing shopping and collecting are sublimated versions of hunting and gathering. But many of us find "real" hunting and gathering the most satisfying, so like to hunt, fish, and garden. What is gardening after all, but building a place ideal for gathering and then gathering in it?

You can easily need 20 to 40 guns because of doing many things with guns, hunting of many critters in many kinds of terrain, SD of various kinds, survivalism, various competitive shooting sports.

Why might a person have many more than 20-40? One reason is collecting. Another is they have never been short on storage space and funds, and don't mind having guns lying around unused; so they simply never sold much or anything, and now have a lot of guns they long since retired.

I propose another reason for having many guns: I think we humans also have a drive to develop and master technology, a drive I propose is also now built into our genes. A gun is a relatively simple piece of technology that is approachable to master yet also sophisticated. Ever notice how many gun people are also interested in photography? The acts of shooting both guns and cameras are also sophisticated and enhanced by understanding the underlying technology. For some its cars or sound systems or computers or software.

I think some of us always need another gun because each gun is a somewhat different additional opportunity to master technology--and we have a biological drive to do that. Some of us a bit more than others of course....

The ONLY thing stopping me from having HUNDREDS of guns is the wacky law here in UK.
Next time you are over here, look me up and we'll go shoot a couple dozen of mine.

Edited to add: I belong to a private range and would bet that we could have a safe and sane shootin' fest for you with a little planing.

If there were not people trying to take my guns away, I might be less inclined to have the number of guns I do have.

If society/et. al. were more stable, if the grid were more stable and less vulnerable, if infrastructure were more robust, and food supply was not so vulnerable, and so on, I might be less inclined to have multiple layers of self defense.

If family/friends/neighbors were better armed and ready for SHTF, I would maybe have less guns.

Thank you for the correction! I thought he had died.
Seems like he's still a might messed up...

Paramedics who attended to Denny said he suffered major trauma and came very close to dying. Soon after Green took him to the hospital, Denny suffered a seizure. His skull was fractured in 91 places and pushed into his brain.[15][3] His left eye was so badly dislocated that it would have fallen into his sinus cavity had the surgeons not replaced the crushed bone with a piece of plastic.[16] A permanent crater remains in his forehead despite efforts to correct it.[3]

That's a very kind offer - thanks! BTW, I HAVE a couple of dozen here, but that's ALL.
I think I can speak for most decent folks here, and even a few less than decent like myself, when I say that if time and place can line up you're always welcome to play in our toyboxes. :) The only gun I WOULDN'T let you empty some mags with is the C8, and that's because it's my girlfriend's gun and I want the first finger on its trigger to be hers... even though she'd probably say "this is a rare opportunity for him, let your buddy check it out."

I had that talk with dear wife when she was dear girlfriend.
I'm a gun guy
I own guns
I like guns
I'm going have more guns

She accepted that and we're still married 29 years later :D

I had that talk with dear wife when she was dear girlfriend.
I'm a gun guy
I own guns
I like guns
I'm going have more guns
I got to have a similar, short and sweet, conversation a couple of days ago when l started making noises about bringing home another vehicle...
Why?
I like it.
But... ?
Baby-doll, I've known you for almost 9 years. In that time, I've bought 10 and sold 12... this ain't a new development. You don't SEE me do it, l don't involve you in it, I don't make a big deal out of it, l just do it. We don't have a junkyard out back (or in front), you don't trip over parts in the garage, you never have to ask or wonder if the bills got paid.

Remarkably, it took my ex wife over a decade to tumble to the fact that l did this with vehicles (and guns). At 45 she accused me of having a mid life crisis with my latest "cool old car/truck/ motorcycle" purchase.
Huh?
I started doing this when l was 15.

We didn't make it past 23 yrs and even that was some kind of miracle. She taught me patience and how to deal with a crazy woman.

Guns and gun stuff is the same way. And the latest stray to follow me home is sitting in the driveway right now... probably pizzing off the neighbors.

I got to have a similar, short and sweet, conversation a couple of days ago when l started making noises about bringing home another vehicle...
Why?
I like it.
But... ?
Baby-doll, I've known you for almost 9 years. In that time, I've bought 10 and sold 12... this ain't a new development. You don't SEE me do it, l don't involve you in it, I don't make a big deal out of it, l just do it. We don't have a junkyard out back (or in front), you don't trip over parts in the garage, you never have to ask or wonder if the bills got paid.

Remarkably, it took my ex wife over a decade to tumble to the fact that l did this with vehicles (and guns). At 45 she accused me of having a mid life crisis with my latest "cool old car/truck/ motorcycle" purchase.
Huh?
I started doing this when l was 15.

We didn't make it past 23 yrs and even that was some kind of miracle. She taught me patience and how to deal with a crazy woman.

Guns and gun stuff is the same way. And the latest stray to follow me home is sitting in the driveway right now... probably pizzing off the neighbors.
It took me about 5 years, and 10 years more to finalize the divorce.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top