JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the history of our country...the ideas that made us... the promise of what we can be...
Do we as a nation have issues and problems...yes
Have we always lived up to notions that founded us ...No
But , that never stops me from tearing up when I hear our Anthem or Taps played.

I am happy to have served our country.
The places I went to , the experiences I had , has made me appreciate our country , all of it the good and the bad...you can not have good without bad ...We are made stronger by knowing our flaws...And here in America we have the ways and means of correcting our flaws , if we have the courage to do so.
Andy

I often wish I had chosen to serve in the military. My stepfather was a Navy man during the Vietnam war, my maternal grandfather an Army man in Korea, and my paternal grandfather an Air Force man who served in the Vietnam war, and died the day after my first birthday. My aunt (the only one of his children not born in England) was born at a military hospital in Roswell, NM, and he frequently ribbed her about it, joking that she was found in the desert near groom lake.
I don't have any regrets for not serving, but often feel as if I missed out on something that would have been beneficial.

Military service has it ups and downs...for me at least it really wasn't a stereotype of the Bonding of Brothers in Arms.
( The hazards of being in LRRP / LRSD units which were often ad hoc or on TDY with another unit )
I did enjoy my time in mostly...and wouldn't have gone another route at any rate...:D
Andy

I like the wilderness, even if it is much more tame than it once was. Much of out history and freedoms also make me glad to be an American. Similar to how Andy feels, which I figure to be a nice summation of my own feelings.

Maybe we vets have slightly different feelings about it all. I dunno.

But I love this country because it was righteously founded as a God fearing nation of free men. Men who invested their blood & treasure in a dream.
And I had the honor and privilege to be born here, drawing the royal flush of countries.
This is a nation with a huge heart, but often to our detriment. We're a place of will and strength.
Until not that long ago we were a nation of faith.
We have lost much of who we are, but in my heart of hearts I believe we are about to have a renewal and unification pretty soon.
But I think it will get very ugly and violent first.

Having traveled around the world twice, once under arms and once as a tourist, my fondness for the United States has only grown. A few of my takeaways

1. We are the only country with Freedom of Speech (shocking, I know). No other country, not even our neighbors to the North, recognize the inherent right to self expression.
2. We believe that anything is possible. Not every culture tells their youth they can grow up to be anything they want one day. Will most people be Presidents, Astronauts, Rock Stars, or Pro Ball Players? No, but the fact that as a culture we encourage the pursuit speaks volumes.
3. We try to correct our mistakes. As a country we've done terrible things; Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese internment, Native Persecution, but we also work to correct the wrong and strive for a more perfect Union.
4. We are a melting pot. Don't let the post-modern propaganda fool you. The United States is the most diverse, and still cohesive, country in the world. It doesn't matter the skin color, wealth, or language; if someone is pursuing the American dream and wants to be a part of our values and culture they are welcome here.
5. It's beautiful. The Pacific Crest Trail in Washington, the Black Hills of South Dakota, The rivers passing through mesquite trees of Texas, the trees in upstate New York. From sea to shining sea there is awe inspiring nature.
6. Americans are a live and let live people. Turn off the news and the loud fringe groups on either side. Go out an meet your neighbor, take a road trip and stop in at a local diner where you'll get to know the owner, say hello to fellow hikers on the trail. Far and away you will find friendly and welcoming people that will offer you a smile and let you live your life the way you want to live it so they can live life the way they want to live.

Those are only a few reasons why I love this country.

I love my country for many of the reasons stated above and more.

I love my country for the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and tons more.

I love my country for this too:

AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL
By Katharine Lee Bates

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self the country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain!
America! America!
Till souls wax fair as earth and air
And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,
Whose stem impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
Till paths be wrought through
wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man's avail
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

Do I think that America is perfect in all ways? NO, but it is a heck of a lot better than many, many other countries in this world.

Do I always 'love' my country? Yes. I love my country but I do not always love the policies or the leaders who run it.

I do NOT love the income tax system in this country whether it was the old one when I was a kid in the 50's, as a young Nam era Veteran's Bride, the last one or the newer improved one.

I do NOT love some other things which can't be mentioned here when it comes to .gov issues.

Old Lady Cate who most likely will pay income taxes until she dies.

A proud daughter of a Mother whose Father's side - family came over a few ship's past the Mayflower and a LEGAL immigrant Father who came through Ellis Island and did all of the honest and required things to become an American citizen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top