JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the safe and in the vise, it's a tool, one where I appreciate both the engineering and elegant simplicity, and love tinkering with.
In my hand, it's an extension of me, something that requires me to be present and concentrate. Whether tinkering, carrying or shooting, guns are one of the most relaxing activities I do, period.
They bring me a great sense of peace. Like the peace of riding motorcycles, which only other bikers understand, the peace guns provide is only something other shooters understand.

I didn't even want one until I started hearing I shouldn't have one.

I didn't grow up in a house with firearms. Not that my family was against them, they just didn't have them. I'm also a few generations removed from anyone who had to hunt to feed his family. My hobbies/interests have always been mechanical in nature. As a kid I built bicycles and now play with cars and motorcycles so I've come to appreciate the mechanical aspects that decades of engineers have devised for the same end result -- make it go bang. Some methods are intricate and complicated whereas others are little more than a glorified prison zip-gun. And it might sound cheesy but there is also a visual aspect as well. Some firearms are just plain beautiful.

In my hand, it's an extension of me, something that requires me to be present and concentrate. Whether tinkering, carrying or shooting, guns are one of the most relaxing activities I do, period.
They bring me a great sense of peace. Like the peace of riding motorcycles, which only other bikers understand, the peace guns provide is only something other shooters understand.

There certainly is that aspect that I had forgotten until you mentioned it (probably because I haven't ridden or shot in a while); the requirement to concentrate solely on the operation of the mechanism, to the exclusion of all else, making me forget - temporarily - all my other concerns.

I should be feeling pretty damn peaceful when I get back from riding to my shooting spot tomorrow morning for some exercising of our freedom.
:s0042:

Last Edited:
I was not a gun nut until I moved from Hawaii to Oregon 14 years ago. My son had just turned 12 and had no friends here yet. He really missed his friends and cousins in Hawaii. So I tried to keep him entertained. We went to a gun store to buy him a 10/22 to go out in the woods and shoot pop cans. And of course, a Glock 19 in the case called out to me. So, we were going out to the woods shooting our new guns and spending time together almost every weekend and having lots of fun. We were hooked and the gun collection grew. He is 26 now and we don't go every weekend, but we do make time to get together to go shooting, spend time together and most of all, have fun. So I guess the main reason I like guns is that shooting is something that my son and I enjoy doing together.

I love not the sharpness of the sword's blade or the brightness of its polished steel; rather, I love the things it enables me to protect and the effectiveness with which it lets me do so.

With apologies to some long-dead old dude... :)

I am "out there" - I will be "out there" for the rest of the coming week - mowing/clearing the brush on my 20 acres (actually, only the five acres nearest my house).

Owning and maintaining and improving property like this takes a LOT of time.

My statement "Get Out There" is as much for me as for you. I understand responsibilities getting in the way. If i remember correctly, I've only been out 3x this year.

After getting robbed at gun point, and a few months later, a co-worker of my mom's being kidnapped and murdered in his own armed robbery, I decided that being armed with a service-caliber gun was a pretty good idea, vs. standing there and taking it at the mercy of the merciless.

As a kid in Klamath Falls, hunting ducks, deer and elk was part of my dad's life so guns like that were routine. Pistols and revolvers were not. Dad had a Mauser pistol he brought home from Europe after WWII, but he didn't like it because it was for killing humans.

Now I'm in the business as an armed investigator and performing work in the presence -and to the detriment of- crooks, liars and cheats, and having some effective tools on-hand remains a good idea.

Esthetically I appreciate well designed and precisely manufactured tools. Guns that work every time and are more accurate than I need are valuable assets.

If I had my druthers? I'd just as soon not carry any weapons nor have to qualify with them every year, even though doing well at those qualifications is satisfying in a way.

But we live in a world with stupid, dangerous animals running around, some of whom will do anything.

Until that changes, you just might see me at the range. :)

I was 6 or 7 and I received a Marlin model 60SS. I had a fannypack I used to walk in the woods with maybe 500 rounds in it and shoot squirrels and such.

When I was 13-14 I got a Ruger MKII Zytel stock 30-06.

It started early. Now....

It's because I love this country and the liberties we have here. Some wall art from my man room:
View attachment 300392

Still waiting for my replica Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution to be framed and mounted on the wall.
ive got 2A on my wall too

image.jpg

For me it has always been the mechanics and how folks design then hand crafted them one piece at a time. We are talking about a controlled explosion that expels a projectile in a reasonably accurate manner.

I also like the fact that many of our precision measuring tools came about because of the gun trade, it helped make parts interchangeable.

Even though now day's parts are made on a CAD systems and CNC machines someone still had to come with the idea and then create it.

Ok, shooting is great fun as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads