Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why do you like firearms?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 308, Jul 2, 2016.

1. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

For me it has little to do with Y2K or any such thought process.

When I was 8 my grandpa bought me a .22 and being immature I complained about them jamming or whatever. Eventually he bought me a little Mossberg bolt action which I have to this day. It has never once jammed or failed to extract.

Since then I have owned many and anything that jams or has poor accuracy is immediately gone. I have no patience for anything less than 100% reliable.

Over time I have found my 10/22 degrade in performance when it gets dirty, but clean it is perfect. This will not be a go to gun.

My AR is reliable but finicky when it comes to cheap surplus ammo. It is sensitive to a dry bolt carrier and likes it's coating of Militec1. Bad ammo has resulted in that nasty infamous AR/M1A pig pile wher two rounds are jammed tight in the chamber and cannot be extracted with the charging handle and the upper cannot be separated because the bolt carrier is partially set rearward in the buffer tube. The only method to clear this is the butt strike on a hard surface. Reliable 99% is not relatable 100% IMO.

The AK stirred something in me from an engineering perspective. The simple elegance of the design with loose tolerances is beautiful. There is a smell to the AK as we'll...mostly from the wooden stick and hand guard. I like it. My Ak has always been 100% reliable...never a jam and if the crap ammo results in a misfire, simply charge it again and go.

Glocks...always reliable except for the G42 which needs .380 ammo with a minimum 180ft/lbs to function 100% and it does so with the correct ammo.

My Tavor crosses the line between AK and AR with an elegant design, close tolerances and a gas piston system unlike my prissy AR. The drawback is weight and length. Both take time to appreciate. weight is rearward and not felt so much shooting off hand but noticed while carrying. The down side is the funky mag and bolt releases. They take time for muscle memory if this is not the primary weapon used for practice.

Mostly I love what creative minds have done and I truly appreciate what goes into the designs of my favorites listed above.

My $0.09 :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Nocaster, etrain16, DSAPT9 and 5 others like this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I saw a Nazi genocide picture in an Encyclopedia Britannica (you know the one.. the one with them piled up on some steps) when I was four years old.
    I realized that those defenseless people were murdered.. en-mass upon a whim.

etrain16, DSAPT9, Sgt Nambu and 6 others like this.
  3. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

It's in my blood. I've been shooting guns for about as long as I could walk and a gun owner almost that long. I grew up helping in my dad's reloading room. The smell of Hoppes and oils and spent casings stir something inside me from my childhood. It's my heritage.

4. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

I like things which go BANG!

etrain16, DSAPT9, nwwoodsman and 5 others like this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

^^ That one.

Started shooting at 4 and never stopped. They are like my knives, I wouldn't know what to do without one...

etrain16, DSAPT9, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  6. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

"Political power flows from the barrel of a gun." - Mao Tse Tung

The state uses the gun to impose, but the people use guns (or can use them) to resist imposition.

etrain16, DSAPT9, Sgt Nambu and 4 others like this.
  7. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Something about things that go bang!

Seriously, I've been fasinated by guns since I was a kid, westerns and police shows on the tele in the 60's. Back then I wanted to be a cowboy or a cop. My chosen career path didn't go in those directions however.

The mechanics of firearms and cartridges is simply amazing. Thinking that John Brownings designs of over a century ago are still readily employed in our latest gee whizz polymer techinogun designs is an enduring tribute to the mans genius.

Acquired a brand new Briwning Hi Power in 1985 or 1986 and within a few short minths began reloading. Its been an interesting journey ever since. Many bought, sold and traded through the years. Many regrets on selling some if them, for sure.

And as @slimer13 said, the smell of Hoppes, BreakFree, M-Pro 7, oils, spent casings and the acrid smell of burned gun powder stir something primitive, down deep in my soul...

I need to go clean something...

8. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

It's interesting how our senses combined with either a positive or negative experience stay with us our entire life.

F2CMaDMaXX, etrain16, nammac and 3 others like this.
  9. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I don't have firearms, I have tools. In time of need, they're handy.
    I don't like the tools I have, because I have to clean them. No fingerprints!
    When I use my tools for the intended purpose, I am rewarded by my familiarity.

I do not like firearms.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    nammac likes this.
  10. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Much better than a pokey stick. Or a rock.

I would venture to say that 9 out of 10 Cavemen would in fact prefer the ''Gun''. Over the two previously mentioned ''State of the art Assault weapons''. ;)

etrain16, Sgt Nambu, 308 and 3 others like this.
  11. Foomamapop

Foomamapop Oregon Coast Member

I've been plinking around with handguns for a good portion of my life. But just plinking and not particularly often. Never knew anything about proper grip, stance, trigger control, etc.

Due to some major back issues, most of my previous hobbies were things I could no longer do. On a whim about two years ago I decided to head up to the hills to see if shooting was something I could still do without too much pain. It was and I realized I could make this my new hobby. I jumped in with both feet and am now accused by many who know me of being obsessed. There's so much to shooting, so many things to learn, so many different firearms to try, to buy, new technology.

I love the customizing, the feel of the firearms in my hands, the heft of a rifle on my shoulder, the smell of solvents, oils, smoke. One other thing that got me hooked, and it's a big one, is the gun community is one of the friendliest, most helpful, welcoming group of people around. You all included!

Dornai, etrain16, DSAPT9 and 6 others like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I grew up with a serious gun family. I have many fond memories of learning to shoot with Dad, Grand Dad, Grand Ma, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was just a family gun culture, you were expected to learn and improve shooting and hunting skills. I collect them mainly because of history, or mechanical innovation, or just plain sexy, or simple functionality! The Gun has been a constant companion of my life's journey from the earliest days until now, and I hope I can continue to enjoy them till the end!

etrain16, DSAPT9, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  13. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like em cause there easy to get along with, non violent, always there when you need them. You can have as many as you like and they wont get jealous. They never talk back. Mine can ride in the car for days and not have to make a bathroom stop. They don't eat or get fat and wont drink all your beer when your gone. Their always ready to go camping or whatever your gonna do. They don't need lots of clothes. A pair of pants can last for years.They only smoke if you tell them but wont bum your stogies from you. Most of them are actually attractive ( not Glocks of course:p ) and easy on the eyes.
    All in all I think they make excellent companions.

etrain16, DSAPT9, nwwoodsman and 6 others like this.
  14. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Part of it was growing up in the fifties with westerns and WWII shows like:

5323e70c6754ab9de92cd13772372611.jpg

We would play in the woods behind the farm, either cowboys and indians or WWII.

Also, family of hunters.

But mostly, I got more into firearms as part of prepping and vice versa (they would feed on each other) when I was in my 20s and 30s.

It is part being prepared for something that probably won't ever happen, part having something that I wanted as a kid (a revolver and a lever action rifle), and part about enjoying shooting.

So yeah, no good reason - just a guy thing mostly.

15. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

BTW - part of AK reliability is the loose tolerances, but also the fact that the bolt is much heavier than the AR bolt, the recoil spring stronger, the bolt rides on rails that are kind of self cleaning (the AR bolt has much more surface area and friction), and the mag lips are much much thicker and much harder to bend out of shape (the mag being the heart of any repeating rifle).

Sgt Nambu and 308 like this.
  16. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

U.S. Army.. 20 years.. Infantry and Field Artillery. Carried some sort of firearm nearly every day. Sometimes loaded. Most days not. Being around firearms just became a normal, everyday thing. Shooting became one of the more enjoyable parts of the job. Found competition to be fun. Found reloading to be necessary. When I retired, I just kept going.

DSAPT9, Sgt Nambu, 308 and 2 others like this.
  17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Like I said in the thread a month ago, they're shiny and make big noise.
    What else could it be?

DSAPT9, Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  18. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

I got tired of lighting firecrackers :D

19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ah thinc guns ar gud cuze weuns kin hunt possoms with them an feed the clan !
    Thet prezidnt feller don lak them an don wan me to hav em.
    I lak thet a lot !o_O

308, mjbskwim, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I was 6 or 7 and I received a Marlin model 60SS. I had a fannypack I used to walk in the woods with maybe 500 rounds in it and shoot squirrels and such.

When I was 13-14 I got a Ruger MKII Zytel stock 30-06.

It started early. Now....

It's because I love this country and the liberties we have here. Some wall art from my man room:
    image.jpeg

Still waiting for my replica Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution to be framed and mounted on the wall.

Swedish K, etrain16, DSAPT9 and 6 others like this.