JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that the general idea is self defence:) I guess what I'm asking is, other than just plain self preservation, why do you feel the need to arm your self every day?
I will start us off.

I have a family, that I love, and that depends on me. So every day that I leave my home, I do everything in my power to make sure that I come back home every night. I don't like the thought of them trying to cope with out me, so I try to make sure that they don't.

I think that your motivation for self defence can and will have an effect on how/what you are willing to do to defend your self. I am interested in others motivation.

I know that the general idea is self defence:) I guess what I'm asking is, other than just plain self preservation, why do you feel the need to arm your self every day?
I will start us off.

I have a family, that I love, and that depends on me. So every day that I leave my home, I do everything in my power to make sure that I come back home every night. I don't like the thought of them trying to cope with out me, so I try to make sure that they don't.

I think that your motivation for self defence can and will have an effect on how/what you are willing to do to defend your self. I am interested in others motivation.

What you said.

Also, if I am ever in a situation where I see someone else's life in imminent danger from someone else doing them harm, I would like at least the option to intervene. I might intervene, or I might just call the cops and leave it to them, but at least I want the option.

I know some will say you could intervene without a firearm, but the presence of a firearm can very quickly deescalate a situation.

I have been in two situations in my lifetime where the fact that I had a handgun kept me from potentially becoming a victim. In both cases, I didn't have to shoot the gun; I didn't even have to draw it. I just had to pull back my jacket, put my hand on the butt of my pistol and say "think about it". Threat gone.

I know some will second guess me here on my course of action, but it worked out and no one got hurt.

With the help of this forum and the classifieds found within:

I shall be getting my carry soon.

Here's my reasons:
1. Current economic situation. (Criminals are getting more bold.. recession has effected them too)
2. Protection of family.
3. Having an option for self defense.
4. Being able to deescalate a situation.

Because when seconds count, a cop is just minutes away.

I carry because I have been in harry situations and felt unsafe. Because the bad guys don't care who you are, don't care about your family, and won't miss a minutes of sleep for murdering you, resulting in absolute destruction of your family.
I carry because I refuse to go gently into the night. If I'm going to die I am going to do everything I can to have company.

I carry because it's a way for me to exercise my rights, the most important right. The right to fight against tyranny if it presents itself.

I carry because I believe it's the best and most effectual way to give back to my community, to fight against crime.

I carry because I like to piss off people who want to tell me I can't have/carry guns.

Then again maybe I used to watch Rambo too much. :s0112:

I am in the process of arming my fiancée and myself. As of now we do not carry, but we will as soon as we get our licenses. The economy is one of the reasons why. I can't help but notice every time I turn on the news another business has been robbed by armed perps. and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.
I am also currently one of the main witnesses in an attempted murder/armed robbery trial which happened next store to the business I manage. I feel like if I would of been armed I may have done something different and the poor lady wouldn't of been injured so badley(the suspect and victim were behind bullet proof glass and two locked doors so I couldn't really do much different but it makes you think and second guess every action).
I also came to the realization that there is absolutely no negative to being prepared and being ill prepared could have dire consequences.

In short:
To be prepared
To protect my family
To not become a victim
and it is my right!

We have had the "Why do you carry" threads before.

I'll give my answer.

My children..............They are why I carry.

As long as I am alive, NOBODY will harm my kids. I will defend them, by ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

I will do ANYTHING to make sure I live to keep my kids safe. Period.

If concealed carry becomes illegal where I live, we will move.
I will live where I am legally allowed to protect my family.

I have my CPL. To date I have not carried. Well, if you consider a pistol in the console, then I guess I do. Anyway, my wife and I have a CPL to preserve our rights as citizens to protect ourselves. I also want to be able to walk into a gun shop and walk out with my purchase.
Ed

Well, I took a gun class with an instructor, made an appointment, did some paperwork, showed up for my appointment, gave my fingerprints, had my picture taken, gave money and ended up with this fancy card in the mail. It says, "Concealed Handgun License", so I figure I might as well carry.

Also I'm sort of a night owl so, to protect myself,friends, and family when things make too big of a bump in the night.

I could give a million reasons but "better safe than sorry" sums it up pretty well, do a lot of travel from time to time so I stop at a lot of rest areas, often at night. Pretty young girlfriend who will come to no harm if I can help it, and at LEAST 3 or 4 dollars in my wallet that I won't have taken from me :p

I think it basically comes down for everyone, whatever your phrasing or the reasons that tip the scales, to not wanting to be a victim if you can help it.

With the help of this forum and the classifieds found within:

I shall be getting my carry soon.

Here's my reasons:
1. Current economic situation. (Criminals are getting more bold.. recession has effected them too)
2. Protection of family.
3. Having an option for self defense.
4. Being able to deescalate a situation.

DITTO! (BTW, my wife carries also .... and we are both retired military....:s0155: )

Don't forget the old addage - it's easier to carry a pistol around then a 200 pound LEO .... ;)

Last Edited:
I carry because any time you leave your home without being armed you are making a conscious decision to be at the will of any criminal element you may encounter. Look up and read sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs online. I am a LEO, and a firearms instructor and there is no way I will ever be put in the situation in which I will have to wrestle with the (what if I had) question for the rest of my life! Criminals have already decided that you are going to be on the losing end of a confrontation with them, if you are not prepared then they are right.

A few years ago I was injured in a trauma accident and can no longer run or even jog. I have no choice but to be a victim or to defend myself and stand my ground. I felt so vulnerable as a cripple with a cane walking down the street. That is the short version.

ElkFish

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top