JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whoever it was that posted that it's reliability and function first (can't find the post now) summed it up for me.

Though the craftsmanship in the 1950's deep gloss blue and old growth hardwood are works of art that wouldn't even need to function to be beautiful, my relationship with guns is utility-driven, mostly.

A nod to the classic design of the 1911 .45, I have a FrankenColt which has been modified to work all the time that is a good carry gun when concealment is primary and the Glock G-21 is a bit too thick. The .45 gets 'er done.

The S&W alloy frame 5-shot 638 doesn't rust and disappears into a Galco Pocket protector on hot days or in sheeple company.

The Ruger 22/45 works every time, and with its partner the Spectre-II it's quiet and portable (and yeah a little movie-like, we have to admit.)

The Colt 6920 5.56 carbine, topped with Aimpoint Pro is all business and runs flawlessly, making the Tacoma police waiting for the range look at my qualification target with an expression that looked like, "I'm glad he's on our side".

Similarly the G-21 is nothing but serious business, a face not even Gaston could say is esthetically pleasing, that thing works every time and 13 rounds of .45 speak for themselves.

Last and most recent, the quietest gun I've ever heard is my bolt-action Savage MK-II with walnut stock and Leupold 4-9x with SWR Can. Literally it goes "click.... WHAP" with the impact on target being about twice as loud as the gun, and putting rounds into a nickel sized hole at 50 yards, rested on my range bag, if it misses it's only me to blame.

1-2.jpg
er, that is until the tragic boating accident that took all of 'em into the briny blue... :rolleyes:

Whilst appreciating the fine craftsmanship of my [former] rifle, I hope with all my heart that it blows/blew up in the face of thief who stole it, on the second shot.

Back in 1990 I had paid over $5000 for it, but that's not the point is it?

Best to you and the other Eversonians who shoot real guns.

tac

I like the guns I like, due to the predominate nature of giving something the finger, and always making a statement.
Anytime my finger is inserted, something good comes of it :rolleyes:

When this little guy is in my left vest pocket he's kinda close to my heart:p

Did you have to have any work done on that little pony? I have a friend who is having a heck of a time with stovepipes, fail to load, etc. Seems like one thing after another.

Hurts to see it, I had a Combat Commander that was as good as it gets and am fond of Colts anyway.

Did you have to have any work done on that little pony? I have a friend who is having a heck of a time with stovepipes, fail to load, etc. Seems like one thing after another.

Hurts to see it, I had a Combat Commander that was as good as it gets and am fond of Colts anyway.
Gettin the first round in can be iffy. I had the same problem with my CM9 and found some thin walled rounds that work OK. Always keep one in when pakin so its not really a problem.No stoves yet but I haven't shot it a lot either.

Interesting, I'll pass it on, thank you.
Another thought on that would be recoil spring(s) Some times a spring problem will cause the slide to not cycle back fully and fail to strip a round off the stack! Other times stove piping usually says the spring is getting soft!( or bad /cheep ammo) I see a lot of guys take a new 1911 style pistol strait from the box and start carrying it, gotta break it in several hundred rounds before it is ready for carry use!

This little video is from this morning, while all you guys were checking your eyelids for holes - a shooting pal using up some of my 7.5x55 Swiss schtuff in my 1954 K31 -

The load is a squeakpip for 100m, and works very well with 155gr Lapua Scenar.

tac

Last Edited:
I personally like firearms of historical significance from WWI/WWII area and modern "tacticool" guns. So basically anything that has a good history behind it or anything that looks cool and futuristic. :p

I also have a soft spot for the JCPenny Marlin Model 60 my cousin gave me when I turned 18, even though the damn magazine feeder pops out after a couple shots...

I have the part polymer version Mustang XSP and it fire every time, I don't carry it out of the house because I am too fond of it. My Ruger LCP Custom can do the job and if it gets confiscated I can get another more easily.

Along the line of recoil spring... you might ask if spring has ever been changed out for a heavier spring as a spring/ammo mismatch there can act the same as a weak spring. Ask about target loads or reloads too. I reload, a lot, change springs around too, and I always get stovepipes and misfeeds until I reach the higher powder loads that is appropriate to the spring weight.

Does it go bang? I want it at least for a while!
I have a few that I won't part with ever! I'm too old to keep a gun I don't like.
Got my S&W wheel gun and a 10-22, a Single six and a Charter Arms I've owned 40 years a bolt 22 singe shot and maybe a couple more, one's plastic and goes bang more than 9 times. Until the next trade I'm sorta happy. LOL
Working on a brass canon to wake folks up on New Years day and the 4th O July hope to get it built this summer in time to try it out when the fireworks is going off! 73 and still having fun!
Gabby

Does it go bang? I want it at least for a while!
I have a few that I won't part with ever! I'm too old to keep a gun I don't like.
Got my S&W wheel gun and a 10-22, a Single six and a Charter Arms I've owned 40 years a bolt 22 singe shot and maybe a couple more, one's plastic and goes bang more than 9 times. Until the next trade I'm sorta happy. LOL
Working on a brass canon to wake folks up on New Years day and the 4th O July hope to get it built this summer in time to try it out when the fireworks is going off! 73 and still having fun!
Gabby

Please share pics and maybe even a video when you get that project done! I love those types of 'toys'.

Looking at that I can imagine the excitement of the first owner knowing he had his hands on a great weapon, but man that must have been a beast to pack around back then. :)

They were real men back then and those rifles were ballanced like nothing we carry today, that keeps the percieved weight down a bunch.
Gabby

Please share pics and maybe even a video when you get that project done! I love those types of 'toys'.

I've always wanted one but they are too expensive for me to justify buying one. I need about another pound of brass before I start melting it down and cleaning it and pouring ingots so that I won't have to clean it while trying to make the actual pour and then find out I don't have enough due to shrinkage. I hope to get it poured this summer before the High burn restrictions go into effect, but you know how it is with honey do days and rainy days, can't melt metal on either of those. LOL Time is rapidly running short. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top