JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why? Cause they go bang when you drop the hammer.

Personally, I'm a wood and steel kinda guy... Nothing like a deeply blued firearm offset with some finely figured walnut, or rosewood... I'm fond of stainless as well.

There's something about the intricacy of all the parts that come together to produce a good ole fashioned wheel gun, think Colt Snakes... Or a classic 1911, again Colt... And the depth of the bluing, Colt just did bluing that was about 10 feet deep...

And highly polished stainless is incredible. Again I'll point to Colt for taking that to the next level... Incredible beauty...

I think it's just the craftmanship that was present in those all steel and wood beasts... To me, the best examples are heirloom quality works of art.

But I also have polymer firearms as well. Not so much for their beauty, but for their utility. They can be used and used hard, be counted on for going bang each and every time. And those I'm not concerned about appearance, not much there that I find enchanting...

Or perhaps I too just like shiny objects...

I'm a sucker for ANY hand made firearm! The craftsman ship and the looks and feel all add in to make something one of a kind and unique. Pre 1940's hunting rifles are MY THING! There is just something about the look, the shape of the nice wood stocks and deeply blued polished metal that really does it for me! I like fancy wood with intricate hand checkering that you can almost see through, fine works of art that can and do see use! No safe queens for me! My A-H FOX gets used every season for upland birds! I also like historically unique fire arms and Military arms! Any thing pre 1900 Colt or Smith and Wesson as well! Just something about an old COLT that makes me smile!

I also love what Bill Ruger did, and to a large degree Roy Weatherby! Make a good firearm that doesn't cut corners, and make it so any one can afford to own a high quality firearm ! I'm also a huge fan of John Browning, Eugene Stoner, and John Garand! Each a craftsman and innovator of their day!

Nothing fancy - Mauser Model B in 7x57 Mauser - went to Rhodesia in 1913 and came back to yUK in 1990.
upload_2016-4-27_22-8-40.png
upload_2016-4-27_22-9-31.png
Just wood and steel, and that's all.

tac

I favor the ones that are accurate and get rid of the ones that are not. Totally favor stainless over blued, which goes against the grain here. And I only have a few rifles with wood stocks. Stocks with CNC aluminum bedding blocks have just been a much better of a choice for me in the accuracy department. Pillar bedded or glue in McMillan stocks also produce excellent accuracy.

An inaccurate rifle is like a hot chick that can't cook, clean or f.....

For me it's about affordability, dependability, and efficiency.
I have 3 glock pistols.
26, 17, 34.
I can use the same mags for all of them, i can even use the same holsters for them all for the most part.
Same sights, same barrels as ackward as it may look.
9mm because it's cheaper and easier to shoot with more than enough stopping power with hollw point +Ps.

ARs for the same reason, I have 4 completely different ARs, and parts interchangeable.

Just about functionality and ease.

Would I like a 1911, heck yeah. Would I like a Barrett .50, sure would.
Along with dozens of others.

I mentioned earlier that I have something in stainless and wood that will be on it's way to me in a bit. It's on layaway right now. It's out of the norm for me, but when I saw it, I really just kind of fell in love with it. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I've wanted to get a GP100 for a long time. I've been looking at the 4" model, but also kept going back to the 6" model since I wasn't planning to ever carry it. I was set to go for a standard model with the Hogue rubber grips, when I spotted something I hadn't seen before - a Talo edition.

I've not ever been all that impressed with Talo model guns, kind of gimicky in many cases. But this one, well it drew me in. Unfluted cylinder and beautiful wood grips. I instantly fell in love with it and decided to track one down. Once I found it, I secured it and I'm just waiting to save for the rest of the $$ I need. I can't wait to get it.

Here she is:

ruger-gp100-unfluted-talo-max-slowik.jpg

Movies have a huge impact in fueling my gun gluttony. As does childhood memories and experiences as listed in another thread. As to what shapes my current firearm desires.. Well:

I do talk myself out of a lot of purchases due to my belief of keeping proprietary stuff at a minimum in my collection. I like to be able to share the same calibers, mags..etc. it does get stale and thats when Ill buy something funky and different to change things up.

But I tend to find practicality in a firearm as I would any other tool.. Can it do something my other tools cant? Does it do it faster, easier, more accurately? Is it smaller, larger, can it fold? Does it take the same mags? Can it use some of the spare parts I have laying around? Is the price too good to pass up?

I usually give it the logic run through, then I look at the cost. From the cost I look at its availability and reliability via reviews (sometimes, if its a unique firearm) However much like with vehicles, beauty can play a role, if a firearm presents itself well on the dealer floor or on an ad online: its like art. Perhaps its something I may not need but I sure as hell love to look at from time to time (and shoot) and Im happy I own it, what ever it is. Then I picture what it'll be like handing it down to my kid or grandkid and how I felt when I inherited mine.

My tastes are all over the place firearm wise. I used to be all about AKs and nothing else. Then I was all about semi auto .308s. Now Im very much into ARs and pocket pistols. Soon Im sure Ill be into revolvers , bolt actions and lever actions.. Im a firearm whore.. My firearm lust knows no bounds.

Tastes can and do change. But there are usually persistent things that remain. Some remain in my interests because of memories, others because they were obtained from friends. A lot of the guns in my safe that aren't for sale are there because they remind me of friends. Some of the friends are gone, others aren't, but the guns still have meaning...

Nothing fancy - Mauser Model B in 7x57 Mauser - went to Rhodesia in 1913 and came back to yUK in 1990.
View attachment 290207
View attachment 290208
Just wood and steel, and that's all.

tac
Gotta love Ol Paul Mauser! Probably the greatest rifle design of all time! Copied by just about every rifle manufacture at one time or another! First real rifle I ever owned and still one of my favorites! My Holland and Hollands are all commercial Mausers, The 03 Springfields are Mauser's, The Winchesters Mod 70 ( the good ones) are Mausers, the Ruger 77 series all Mausers!!!! Hell, even the Jap Arasakas are Mausers! Gotta be a good design when just about every one has built one, and many of us own one ( or several) !!!!

Why do I like the guns that I like? So many reasons.

Some I like for mechanical aspects - an elegant or clever design.
Some I like for their looks.
Some I like because I shoot them well.
Some I like because I saw them in a movie.
Some I like for their sheer chutzpa.
Some I like for their history.
Some I like for sentimental reasons.
And of course because they go bang.

Now I'm going to go back and read all of the post that I just skipped over and probably duplicated here. :p

@Ura-Ki - This is a Mauser, too, albeit a little one....1937-dated ES350B, another one with a story, but one that would make you laff like a drain..
upload_2016-4-28_8-45-28.png
upload_2016-4-28_8-46-25.png
upload_2016-4-28_8-46-58.png
upload_2016-4-28_8-47-45.png

In fact, I do bleeve that I'll start a new thread - stories [funny or otherwise] about your guns].
For sure I got enough to fill a few pages, some of 'em just spooky......

tac

@Ura-Ki - This is a Mauser, too, albeit a little one....1937-dated ES350B, another one with a story, but one that would make you laff like a drain..
View attachment 290268
View attachment 290269
View attachment 290270
View attachment 290271

In fact, I do bleeve that I'll start a new thread - stories [funny or otherwise] about your guns].
For sure I got enough to fill a few pages, some of 'em just spooky......

tac
Man, that's sweet! Tell me you have an original Maxim silencer to go with it!

For me it is rather limbic in nature. I've had positive experiences with firearms since I was 8 yrs old, so as I grew up there was the feel of the metal and wood, the smell of cleaning supplies and the positive feedback rewarded by a shot well placed.

When I got older and could have anything I wanted, I found a renewed interest in AKs, SKS and ARs. Mostly it has to do with the elegant designs of each...something I really appreciate...a job well done by the designer.

Lately I've been enamored by handguns because I believe I am a poor shot with them, and it is tough for me to remain in that condition.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top