JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a two edged sword. People want cops to be fully armed and ready to defend them, but don't want them armed to the point of being a terror to the people.
cops have no duty to protect/defend individuals, their duty is only to enforce the laws.

If we accept that the anti-gun types are right, and there are bad guys out there with full auto firearms, it makes sense for the cops to be so armed. If the bad guys are running fully up-armored vehicles, anti-tank missiles and all the weapons of war, yes, by all means, arm the cops to deal with that threat.
2A says that we the people have the right to defend ourselves with every means available from enemies, INCLUDING the government, as an unorganized militia...that means if a citizen wish to purchase with their own money, an armored vehicle, then that is their right...regardless of how much the government dislike giving up their monopoly on weapons...
Absent the weapons of war, however, I would say giving cops heavily armored vehicles is overkill... Hopefully not real overkill, but we never know.

well. I for one would prefer a model similar to Sweden or Israel; in which every citizen has training and access to equipment the same as the military....in which, I would rather that citizens be given armored vehicles for defense against criminals.... instead of militarizing the police to the level that it's hard to tell if they're police or if they're military.

:) We still can and will.
America will stand strong regardless of him and his czars.
He is a tiny man with a big ego and is on the wrong side of right.
He has devoured himself. The country will regurgitate them soon.

Hope so but I am not quite so certain. I have some acquaintances that still think this guy is wonderful. They refuse to believe the evidence and facts to the contrary!

Brutus Out

"American law enforcement agencies have received 165 MRAPs – 18 ton, armored vehicles with gun turrets – this year, according to an AP investigation. Military officials say police have filed requests for 731 more, but none are available.

“It’s armored. It’s heavy. It’s intimidating. And it’s free,” Craig Apple, the sheriff of Albany County, told AP."

The above illustrates why to LE the MRAP is the equivalent of the Obamacare act to the young an ill informed who voted its author in to office.

What cop wouldn't want to drive one instead of a boring old Crown Vic? MRAP will definitely get them home safely. Coming to a town near you.

Brutus Out
Do not regard my skepticism as negativity. Its more a case of mental preparation and trend deduction.

I typically don't agree with the ACLU, but I can't disagree with their opinion of this program:

The American Civil Liberties Union is criticizing what it sees as the increasing militarization of the nation's police. ACLU affiliates have been collecting 2012 records to determine the extent of military hardware and tactics acquired by police, planning to issue a report early next year.

"One of our concerns with this is it has a tendency to escalate violence," said ACLU Center for Justice senior counsel Kara Dansky.

I looked up the MRAP/M-ATV armor thicknesses....according to an industrial site on laser processed armor; the average thickness of these vehicles' armor is between 4.7mm to 12.7mm; pretty flimsy for a "tank".... I doubt that the armor can take on the kinetic energy of .50 cal AP rounds; and these things are mainly designed to be resistant to small arms but not to dedicated equipment.. I don't know if the armor is thicker on the sides or on the bottom, as it is designed to resist under-body blasts, rather than side/head on direct fire blasts... the glass is approx 6 inches thick though; so that would be pretty much as resistant to small arms as the main armor; but again; not sure if proof against .50 cal or greater high powered rounds.... (as opposed to a .54 cal musket ball ;) )

EDIT: the PDs are able to get them from the Pentagon for free through the "1033" program; BUT the maintenance costs AND the cost to close the gun turrets are what hurts them in the long run..

I recall a Major upgrade, to the plain old Armored Cars, that haul currency from bank to bank.

IIRC, a militant White supremacy group thought they should have the money, so they went about developing a plan to knock one out.

They ended up lathe machining, Bronze slugs, for a 12 gauge cylinder bore shotty. plumb took out the front windows... Not the usual entrance for prior armored car robberies.

I think it would take multiple hits, even with a Fifty Cal, to do in Six Inch Glass... But remember, in Chechnya, the freedom fighters took on Soviet Tanks, with 3 man fighting teams, and killed many many tanks. Every Machine has its weak point, if it ever comes to that....

And I would think, anybody who Formerly drove an MRAP, would know its weakness's :)

BTW, anybody ever read about that fellow who Fire Forms 50 Caliber to be Equivalent to a 12 gauge, but make a Rifled Barrel for them???? He is BATFE legal, it is not considered a DD, some loop hole in the law, but the Muzzle Energy, and the down Range fire Power is Brute Force! I will try to look up his facts & Figure tomorrow.... I recall, he even makes his own ~version~ Of the cartridge, by making a Bronze Rim, with threads, and screws them onto the converted old cartridge, so it is a Rimmed Fifty cal... Who'da Thunk!!!

philip
in the BoonDocks, calling it a night.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews