JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
if you want to know why i sold my 1911 3 weeks ago, and bought a glock 21 it is very simple... take your 1911 outside, grab a shovel, throw your $1500 gun on the ground, and shovel dirt on it... pick it up , shake well, and begin firing... did itwork? ok do it again with sand... no wait,... you misunderstood, don't go clean it... just walk from the dirt pile to the sand box and drop it.... wiggle it around.. pick it up , shake it off, and shoot... ohh it won't shoot???? well now you know why people do like glocks!! at least that why I own one.
Doug

Wow. And you think the thousands of 1911s from ww1, ww2, Korea, and vietnam failed to fire after being subjected to this kinda abuse? Have you ever actually tried it with both guns?

Being how people are making this thread more of a " glock vs 1911" thread I will say
that there is a reason the 1911 has been around for a hundred years. It's a good design.

Back to the original op's question, I don't like glocks because they are cheap guns. The slide feels like it has gravel in it when you rack it, the trigger pull is horrible, the grip angle sucks, and they are just plain ugly. Now, if you have a glock and like it then good for you. I'm not gonna bag on your gun if you like it. It's just not for me.

As I posted earlier, I think they are overrated. Glock owners usually look at glocks as the best thing since sliced bread when in actuality, to me, they are bottom of the barrel. A Springfield xd is nicer in my book. Sure, the glock goes bang everytime but so does any other gun when you pull the trigger.

I used to think Glocks could not possibly be worth much. Then a friend let me shoot his Glock 17. It shot quite well. Later, a different friend who worked for a county jail and could not qualify with his 92fs was provided with a Glock 19 with which he qualified on the first try. He never did really like the Glock, but as long as it was the only gun he could qualify with, it was the only gun they would let him carry on duty. After he retired from the county, he traded the glock to me. I can shoot it fairly well, so a few months ago I went out and bought a used G17. I have not shot the 17 much yet. I don't shoot anything as much as I used to, but so far, I can keep all the rounds in the black at 21 feet. The 19 is my carry gun. The main reason is it is small and light compared to either my 1911 or my P220. Yeah, it is a 9mm, but it is better than my Colt that only has 6 rounds in it, so In a real world situation, I have opted for a high capacity light weight semi auto that I can actually hit something with if I need to. I have some steel guns, one aluminum gun, and two plastic guns/ some are semi auto, some are revolvers, some are even single shots. I like all of them for different reasons. You don't take a pick up truck to a sports car race, and you don't haul gravel with a luxury sedan. That's why there are so many kinds of guns too. One size does not fit all. Oh, and some people are biggots too.

An old car sales guy once told me..Son there's a backside for every seat in this lot just need the right fit that's all.. Think the same goes for handguns. ;)

In my opinion Glocks are very nice pistols, they wont ever win a beauty contest, but they sure get the job done. Most 1911's however are like fine art, they get the job done and they are things of beauty.

The only pistols i detest are hi-points! they are like guns for people who dont like guns!

a more ugly thing i have never seen than a hi-point pistol, i'll take a pointy stick over a hi-point anyday.

I guess everyone likes different things and the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things, But theres no denying that glock pistols are fine tools just the same as 1911's.

-just my 2 cents

It isn't the Glock, it's the snotty "I know better" attitude of many Glock owners. Some of that has come thru in the posts above, and it usually entails bashing the 1911 with gibberish "requotes".
About 1993 (ish) I decided I wanted to buy a high capacity .45 ACP. I was ready to buy a Glock.....until I held it.

So.....The "attitude" of the owners of Glock pistols had nothing to do with your not buying the pistol. It was the grip angle, correct? Bill T.

So.....The "attitude" of the owners of Glock pistols had nothing to do with your not buying the pistol. It was the grip angle, correct? Bill T.

I think he is saying " it's the snotty "I know better" attitude of many Glock owners." that makes him "hate" Glocks. It's the grip angle that made him not buy one.

It's the same attitude that kept me from "drinking the kool aid" for so long, I always knew Glocks were great guns, I just didn't want to be part of "that" crowd.

It's the same attitude that kept me from "drinking the kool aid" for so long, I always knew Glocks were great guns, I just didn't want to be part of "that" crowd.

People have never kept me from buying a gun, anymore than they did persuade me to buy a certain brand of beer. Besides, there are far more snotty anti Glock people than there are Glock owners. Bill T.

For me the "+"s and the "-"s of Glocks vs XDs come out about equal, so buying an XD wasn't a sacrifice or anything. The only reason I did buy a Glock (3rd gen 26) is that I'm only into it for $325.

I'm happy with the Glock, I knew I would be before I ever bought it. Is it PERFECT? Nope, I don't ANY gun is PERFECT, contrary to what many of the "Glocks go bang every time" crowd would have you believe.

I am a dinosaur - I like metal - I have never ever had a polymer gun that I liked not to say that I wont - I also do not like striker fired pistols - I like my handguns to have a hammer. I had a 40S&W glock about 15 years ago and recently had a FNP 40. I have neither at this point. I find that a gun made out of metal is comforting and I like having the weight. I put a gun on when I get home from work on Friday night and take it off my belt on Sunday evening. I carry at every opportunity. I must trust what I carry and use and I frankly beleive that most polymer guns are made of polymer because they are cheaper to make this way than if they were made of steel. I like mauser actions with the one peice trigger guard, smith and wesson N frame revovlers and 45's in the 5" persuasion. I carry a colt detective special, S&W 4516 and a S&W 3914 - they are good guns that I trust explicitly - they give me the comfort I doubt I will ever get from a polymer, striker fired pistol.

James Ruby

the glock goes bang everytime but so does any other gun when you pull the trigger.

Sorry but every gun does not go bang everytime. I currently have a couple glocks and a 1911 but I sold my XD because I had nothing but problems with that thing everytime i took it out. I use different guns for different occasions but prefer my gocks to carry becuase of the low weight and high mag capacity. My 1911 is a range gun for me

Sorry but every gun does not go bang everytime. I currently have a couple glocks and a 1911 but I sold my XD because I had nothing but problems with that thing everytime i took it out. I use different guns for different occasions but prefer my gocks to carry becuase of the low weight and high mag capacity. My 1911 is a range gun for me

True. It's a machine. Every machine will break down at some point. Some machines are higher quality than others and some or not. I think you took that sentence I wrote too literal.

Probably it is more about people than Glocks. What fits my hand may not fit another person's. What is comfortable to shoot, recoil etc, may not be that way for another person. We all have opinions, some are half baked and then they can go to being well thought out. Some people think their opinion is from a divine source and any opposition is blasphemy. Some people make up lack of experience and skill with massive bloviating on the topic.

I have never met a firearm that I disliked. Only time I felt insignificant is when I was at the Bill Cody Museum. The collection of firearms was beyond awesome. My small, insignificant collection seemed completely insignificant. Moral of the story, enjoy what you have, learn to use it and visit the Bill Cody Museum.

True. It's a machine. Every machine will break down at some point. Some machines are higher quality than others and some or not. I think you took that sentence I wrote too literal.

I dont think I did I was just explaining my point of view on the subject and what you said about the machine not going bang was what I was thinking just from a different angle. I was coming from the angle of my glocks have been my most reliable weapon that I have ever owned (roughly around 13 yrs of glock ownership). I use my weapons for protection and not plinking at the gun range and use a gun that will go bang for me every time. It may just be me but if I need my machine to go bang I want to have the tools in my hand that will do that. I personally wouldn't carry a gun that I thought or knew at one point would fail me. If a company came out with a gun that could stand up against a glock I would be the first one in line to buy it. I wouldn't say im a glock guy but a reliability guy. In my experience glocks have been the most reliable for me. So not too literal just trying to add a little to the conversation is all

I dont think I did I was just explaining my point of view on the subject and what you said about the machine not going bang was what I was thinking just from a different angle. I was coming from the angle of my glocks have been my most reliable weapon that I have ever owned (roughly around 13 yrs of glock ownership). I use my weapons for protection and not plinking at the gun range and use a gun that will go bang for me every time. It may just be me but if I need my machine to go bang I want to have the tools in my hand that will do that. I personally wouldn't carry a gun that I thought or knew at one point would fail me. If a company came out with a gun that could stand up
against a glock I would be the first one in line to buy it. I wouldn't say im a glock guy but a reliability guy. In my experience glocks have been the most reliable for me. So not too literal just trying to add a little to the conversation is all

Oh gotcha. I wasn't seeing it from the angle your explaining it now. Too many people jump on the "us vs them" bandwagon on topics like this. Alot of people look at threads like this as a way to bash a glock, or 1911, or sig, ect, ect. When in reality, the op was just asking why people don't like them. As I stated in a earlier post, I don't like glocks
for the reasons I gave but if other people hear that then it seems like it gives them a license to say how unreliable EVERY gun other than theirs are. I was stating that that is simple untrue.

As far as the "glock vs 1911" thing this thread has turned into, yeah, I own multiple 1911s. But I trust my life to a sig every day. :)

Oh gotcha. I wasn't seeing it from the angle your explaining it now. Too many people jump on the "us vs them" bandwagon on topics like this. Alot of people look at threads like this as a way to bash a glock, or 1911, or sig, ect, ect. When in reality, the op was just asking why people don't like them. As I stated in a earlier post, I don't like glocks
for the reasons I gave but if other people hear that then it seems like it gives them a license to say how unreliable EVERY gun other than theirs are. I was stating that that is simple untrue.

As far as the "glock vs 1911" thing this thread has turned into, yeah, I own multiple 1911s. But I trust my life to a sig every day. :)

Actually the o.p. asked "Why do some people hate glocks so much?

Which is the biggest reason I think the Glock hate comes from people "hatin'" the Glock snobs. "Hate" is a pretty strong strong word to use because you dislike the ergonomics, or the feel of plastic, or the manual of arms, or whatever. But whenever the topic of what's the best firearm comes up and you have all the "Glockheads" popping with "Glocks are THE BEST, because they go bang every time", that is when the "hatin" begins. I'm sorry but Glocks DON'T go bang EVERY TIME, for one thing. For that too be true every Glock would have had to go bang every time, and I know for a fact that they have NOT. Some people are willing to take a gun that is 98% reliable over a 99% reliable gun because they can shoot a tighter group, shoot faster, use as a hammer, or whatever.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads