Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why do some people hate glocks so much?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by madiz27, Jul 21, 2011.

1. madiz27

madiz27 Tacoma Member

Hello all,
    I was at a local gun shop today and I overheard a piece of a conversation as I was browsing...
    One guy says to another, "Tom is a glock head, so you can tell he doesn't know bubblegum."
    This isn't the first time I've heard a remark of this sort.
    I understand that people have personal preferences about grip angle, trigger action, finish and so on. There are guns that I personally don't care for, but I don't assume that someone else that is enthusiastic about the same brand is a moron.
    I was hoping that one of you glock haters or someone with more insight than myself could explain to me why some people are so negative about pistols that have such a proven track record of reliability/durability.

Enlighten me.

2. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Glocks took a lot of heat due to being from a foreign country (Austria) and being half made of plastic in a world of 1911 and Hi-Power lovers. Really the only choice for LEOs for a sidearm was a single stack 1911 in SA (most of which couldn't manipulate the safety under stress to save their lives- literally), a revolver, the bulky "one size fits all" Beretta 92FS, overly expensive Sigs or the aging Browning Hi-Powers.

Glocks filled the gap for inexpensive, reliable, good quality, lightweight, easy to use pistol. Glocks are striker fired and shoot the same way all the time (similar to the revolver and the 1911, but a trigger pull between the two and unlike the SA/DA 92FS, Sig and Hi-Point). Glock essentially filled the perfect niche that was missing from the pistol community. So why the haters? Every gun (minus the Beretta, which was made in Italy at the time) was constructed in the good 'ol USA and are all made of solid metal. They are all "tried and true" guns that have worked for many years from the US military down to the police...many are still on the hips of law enforcement and military to this very day.

Want to test the real ignorance? Ask those very same people what they think of the S&W M&P pistol...because they are nothing more than a Glock with an adjustable back strap.

3. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, Rice Burner vs American made cars, etc. Glock makes a good tool type gun & many guys want more than a tool out of their firearms. I personally would rather have a finely crafted firearm made of metal & wood.

4. GRUNDEL

GRUNDEL Washougal Area Active Member

I have used that same tool analogy a hundred times explaining to people why I own Glocks. They are IMO, one of the best tool for the job. That said when it comes down to shooting Handguns I would much rather shoot one of my old Smith's or 1911's.

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Most like them due to the idiot proof/simple nature, hence why many choose them including many police dept's.

6. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

Many hate them because they are Polymer. Many hate them because they are not American. Then there is the grip angle, no grip safety, and on and on. The best one I've heard is they make too much profit on the gun, and are "screwing" their customers. Would it be better if they went broke?

As was said, Glocks are the best tool for the job. They are basically the AK-47 of handguns. Relatively inexpensive, rugged as a hammer, easy to operate and maintain, and even easier to learn how to shoot well. Put it all together and it would be pretty difficult to come up with a better self defense tool. Bill T.

ogre, owdee tt nl, nforest and 3 others like this.
  7. kls97038

kls97038 molalla New Member

My fingers are to short. I cant pull the trigger!! Ok, I set myself my lets hear the jokes!!

8. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I don't hate them at all. Glocks are a tough, utilitarian weapon. I just don't like the way they feel in my hand and they don't point particularly well for me either (although I also don't have much trigger time with one).

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Most people that don't like them, have never owned one.

They are excellent firearms. They do suffer a bad rep because of people parroting internet BS about them.

I'll admit to joking about them being hand-grenades myself.:laugh:

Glock as a company is another story. They are horrible to deal with (as a dealer). Great guns, bad company.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZZ9HitWklx1sbOztwxXtSb0hfToUsCkS0tgc7XYkwwE3CcbV1vg.jpg

10. sprocket3

sprocket3 Oregon - Wet Side Member

A lot of PD departments went with them for costs reasons, not because they are the best weapon. I read once that they were about 1/3 the costs of Sigs and 1/2 the cost of S&W in the 90s. Now why do you think so many PDs went to Glocks?

I think they are over rated myself and don't like them a ton. I do own one and it's the handgun that I have taught my wife to shoot since it's so simple. I don't really like the DAO trigger setup, but for what it was made to do, it works great. For shooting cans or targets there are better options out there.

Don't HATE them, but don't plan on buying another one at this time and like a lot of other makes better.

11. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

I'm an unrepentant Glockhead, and that in itself seems to be enough to trigger hysterical responses, especially from the 1911 Good Ole Boys. :rolleyes:

All it takes is a little fanboy adulation from me to set off those types who have spent 3X as much for a pistol that weighs twice as much, has lower capacity, and is reliably unreliable when exposed to dirt, water, or abuse. :p

Don't get me wrong; I love the look of a polished, blued slide, but I wouldn't carry it anywhere except a BBQ. I also love a single-action trigger when I'm plinking, but carrying cocked & locked doesn't appeal.

Choosing a Glock is a no-brainer, IMO. Some folks take a more sophisticated approach to pistol shooting, but the less I have to think about the better. :bluelaugh:

12. billt

High cost does not automatically equate to a better fighting handgun. For example, if I was going to be placed into harms way, and could have any weapon, (handgun), I wanted, I would choose a Glock hands down. It would be a total no brainer. I own $1,100.00 Sigs, $1,000.00 H&K's, and $1,400.00 Springfield 1911's. No matter, I'd take the Glock without giving it a second thought. It is simply the better gun for the task at hand. Simpler, more rugged, lighter, ease of operation, (no safeties, decockers, etc.), fewer parts, higher capacity, and yes, lower cost. That is a bonus after the fact. Yes, cost is a factor to bigger departments that have to buy literally thousands of guns. With that said they are getting the better gun in the process. I'm one guy who owns guns costing 3 times as much. They would all stay in the safe. The Glock would be on my hip because IT IS the better gun, period. Bill T.

MikeE and (deleted member) like this.
  13. billt

Being a machinist for most all of my life, I can appreciate the fine craftsmanship that goes into a high end 1911 pistol better than most. The hand fitting, the overall fit and finish, etc. With that said you could fill a container vessel with the better handguns that are currently avaliable out there a person could carry. As time marches on, the 1911 becomes less and less of a sensible choice.

Yes, it will work. So will a 4 cylinder Offenhauser, but you wouldn't try to qualify for the Indy 500 in one any longer because the results would be dissapointing if not totally disastrous. Why someone would shell out well into 4 digits for a custom 1911 carry weapon is totally beyond me, when for $500.00 you can pick up a brand new Glock, (you pick the flavor), and be far better armed.

I love the 1911 platform, and currently own 4 of them. With that said I depend on my Glocks. In todays defensive world a 1911 is more for admiration. A Glock is for defensive shooting. Bill T.

owdee tt nl and (deleted member) like this.
  14. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

In this particular conversation, they might have been talking about Tom's ignorance. I work with a guy that doesn't know bubblegum about firearms. He brags that his mom has a Glock 9, and that it is HUGE (as if the physical SIZE of the weapon makes it more lethal). I asked him if he had any guns, he said no. I asked him what he's gonna do when someone busts down his door at midnight armed with a 12 guage, he's says he'll grab the Glock 9 he's gonna get. Basically, because this all he knows, he thinks a Glock 9mm is the best gun there is. Better than any other pistol, rifle or shotgun, and that it is the end all do all ultimate man stopper. I think because Glocks are so popular a lot of less experienced people figure Glocks are better than any pistol, PERIOD.

It could be this type of mentality, they were talking about. If someone tells you a Glock is the best gun for EVERYTHING, they probably DON'T know bubblegum. And this is coming from a dedicated Glock owner.:thumbup:

15. sprocket3

sprocket3 Oregon - Wet Side Member

Sounds like a glock is for you then. That is why it's the gun I taught my wife to shoot on who had never shot a gun in her life. That's great you think it's a better pistol than something that was designed 100+ years ago.

16. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

People hate glock for the same reason people love lady gaga. It's a personal choice. Instead of proving them wrong you can just enjoy glock and let them wallow in their own personal hatred. Coming back to the car references. American gun makers just ignored the plastic frame pistol as some inferior foreign product, like the big 3 did with Japanese cars in the late '60 & '70, then next thing they knew glock started to capture more market shares and it was too late to really compete. Hence the crazy backlash against a good product. Honestly if glock was such a crap product then why does S&w have the sigma(now m&p), ruger with the sr-9, and the Springfield Xdm, and so forth? I am sure if you told a Polce officer in the '80 that one day his service weapon will be half plastic he would laugh at the idea

17. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

The polymers have their place, they're light and can carry well. I went with a Springfield XD because its American made.....in Croatia xD. I think the glock talk is more follow the leader than anything, it's the in thing to do to bash them. They go bang every time, and that's what really counts.

18. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Okay, you guys have danced around the real reason long enough! The real reason is that Glocks are evil, yes evil! They are black and they hold lots and lots of ammo! Oh for the days when real men loaded one round, walked out twenty paces turned and fired! All kidding aside, Glocks work, they are easy to work on and the cost is reasonable for Police departments to afford. In my experience, I find that I shoot other guns better and I don't like the looks of Glocks so I don't have any in my safe. Its a Ford vs Chevy thing. Gary

19. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I also chose a 5-cyl. VW over that nearly-hundred-year-old 4 cyl. Offenhauser engine, for basically the same reason.

20. Tangent123123

Tangent123123 Battle Ground Active Member

I think it fits in the category of a lot of things produced now a days. Inexpensive, mass produced and known by those not "in the know" as being a good buy. Automatically that means it is held in contempt by the old timers and "experts".

There is a great appeal to the perfection of steel and wood over "cheap plastic". Think classic cars. Nothing looks sexier then a classic vehicle but it's not what you are going to drive to work every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.