Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why do my clean clothes smell musty

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I have great wife. She does her best. But the clothes and towels smell like mold to me. We don't leave clothes wet laying around. Is it the washer? It's making me smell like a dirty sock.

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

It probably is mold.. you probably haven't used your furnace this year yet. just the way it goes

3. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

well it depends on if you are the only one who smells it. other than that, if you want to see if the smell is coming from your washer or dryer, buy a couple new towels and send them through the wash. my guess would be your closet though. you may have moisture sticking around in your home that is feeding mold. maybe try taking everything out of your closet and give it a good scrub and use a fan for a while, probably best to let the fan blow all day while youre at work. in my last apartment this was a monthly process to prevent that smell from coming back, mildew was a real issue there though.

4. Oregonhunter5

It comes out of the dryer smelling this way before it hits any closet or drawer.

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Do a load of whites with more bleach than usual and hottest water available to clean the washer. Use some Calgon with extra soap or color safe bleach to get the clean ones smelling better. If on a well it could just be the water. Maybe ask the wife if she changed soap or softener brands also. If you have a front load washer it may need wiped down with bleach water on the door seal.

6. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

Add a couple of teaspoons of TSP to each load ($10 for a big box at home depot). Clothes washers and dishwashers performance went to crap when they removed phosphate from the soap. Flock the enviro-weenies.

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Oregonhunter5

Deadeye this sounds good. We are on a well. I also heard there's two tubs in a top loader. Sometimes in between the inside and outside one it gets nasty.

8. Oregonhunter5

What's tsp

9. Kevinkris

actually if you are going to use extra bleach you should use warm water, a little trick i leaned in my MA course. if the water is too hot, it will break the bleach down, leaving you with a hot saline water solution which is not very good for cleaning.

considering i missed the part about them coming from being cleaned with the smell, maybe check incoming water lines for breaking and check the air filters in your dryer. many new models will have an internal filter that wouldnt normally need changing for a long time. they should be anti-microbial but life makes its own homes sometimes.

10. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

11. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

What Drew said.

12. ruger45blackhawk

ruger45blackhawk milwaukie Active Member

I concur!
    I was constantly noticing my parents towels smelling moldy! I researched it and found out indeed cleaning the door seal on front loaders as well as running bleach through the washer regularly will kill bacteria and mold in between the 2 tubs of the washer. I even removed the smell from our older top loader by doing this easy treatment.
    By the way I have been doing the laundry for my family 26 years and counting! (I speak from experience)
    Even my 24 year old daughter states I'm the best stain remover out of clothes!!

13. Kevinkris

sounds like a great way to get you to do the laundry :laugh:

14. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

Never do well, what you don't want to do twice.

15. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

16. Certaindeaf

Obviously your guns are filthy. A clean house smells like Hoppe's #9.

Sling Blade and (deleted member) like this.
  17. ruger45blackhawk

ruger45blackhawk milwaukie Active Member

I guess it's always been my choice. My wife does a majority of the cooking so it's a great tradeoff! I don't mind doing it either. :)

18. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you do own a front loader, always leave the door cracked open after a wash.

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Certaindeaf

I moved a long drained and tipped every which way (4 months) front loader once.. water was still sloshing around in there somewhere.

20. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

We throw a cup of white vinegar in the wash machine when this sort of thing happens. It seems to to a good job getting rid of that moldy towel smell.