JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Put together a ladder test for 7.62x39. All S&B brass cases, 123 gr. Hornady Z-Max bullets, AA 1680 powder, CCI primer. Cases were trimmed and fully prepped with loving care. Not using one of my AK's but a very good shooting AR. Cheap 3x9 scope set on 5 power. Flawless left handed side charger. Adjustable gas block and heavy buffer.

Went to a favorite spot in the woods and measured off 100 yards. 37 degrees, light rain and a bit windy. I used my open door with the window open as a shooting bench. 5 shots each at increments of .50 gr. starting at 25.5 (my normal load) all the way thru 28.5 gr. As you can see the deviation isn't that much from start to finish. There lies the problem. The final target was Wolf Military Classic at .20 a round vs my lovingly reloaded ammo at .40 a piece.

Lesson learned.

57DFCEA4-0889-42D6-B248-A72DEE023EA6.jpeg FEED6309-17F3-449F-AC04-E85D0E189A5F.jpeg E728FF3C-5CEF-4F1B-ACA7-EEA38EDCA42C.jpeg 30575476-9604-4EB6-B2A6-3EDCAD13EC67.jpeg

I have a couple 7.62x39 handloads that are as accurate or maybe a touch better than wolf military classic 124gr hp ammo but the wolf for the price I paid is very good in my builds. I am kind of semi hoarding the last couple cases I have thanks to the Biden import ban.

I've been surprised how decent the steel case x39 shoots in a few of my rifles. Been gathering components to reload for this caliber at some point, but still working off my older supply of steel case ammo. As I'm mainly feeding a couple bolt actions, I don't burn through as many rounds as back when I was a shooting SKS and an AK.

I see…. I still like to troubleshoot stuff. I think you did great on your ammo though.
I'm still amateur loading. Maybe it's a similar variation in factory ammo powder. Do you have an idea of cartridge buildup..? Or powder weight deviation? Maybe a faster or slower powder is the variable?
I'm sure I can find a factory ammo in the cartridges I hand load to do the same if not better than I make. Yes the 0.20 a round grouping may take away the gratification your seeking. Maybe see the difference at 200 yrds?
Just find a load as cheap as possible…. 0.20 is hard to beat in materials by itself.
A labor of love , right. For me now cost doesn't factor in a whole lot anymore but I still watch it and note it when it's noteworthy. However I just like loading my own range stuff.
Ammo cans stay sealed.
Good luck and happy shooting.

Put together a ladder test for 7.62x39. All S&B brass cases, 123 gr. Hornady Z-Max bullets, AA 1680 powder, CCI primer. Cases were trimmed and fully prepped with loving care. Not using one of my AK's but a very good shooting AR. Cheap 3x9 scope set on 5 power. Flawless left handed side charger. Adjustable gas block and heavy buffer.

Went to a favorite spot in the woods and measured off 100 yards. 37 degrees, light rain and a bit windy. I used my open door with the window open as a shooting bench. 5 shots each at increments of .50 gr. starting at 25.5 (my normal load) all the way thru 28.5 gr. As you can see the deviation isn't that much from start to finish. There lies the problem. The final target was Wolf Military Classic at .20 a round vs my lovingly reloaded ammo at .40 a piece.

Lesson learned.
I bother because the Hornady puts the lights out on deer better and the ol warden wont get upset if he shows up.

That' a good point! That Z-Max has a ton of killing power. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reloading 7.62x39...I'm back!

That' a good point! That Z-Max has a ton of killing power. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reloading 7.62x39...I'm back!
After your zmax's are gone you'll have to switch to the SST's in that weight, that's what I have been using. Been putting 24gr 4198 in, could bump it up a couple but it likes the low end just fine.

This might not sound nice, but you're not doing your reloads justice.

You simply learned you can match factory of a car window in the vehicle. Minute of deer or man from a car window is great and everything, but it isn't how one should start testing hand loads. If the goal is hunting, it wouldn't hurt to try these sort of shots after you do the work on a flat range using a bench and stable rest.

This might not sound nice, but you're not doing your reloads justice.

You simply learned you can match factory of a car window in the vehicle. Minute of deer or man from a car window is great and everything, but it isn't how one should start testing hand loads. If the goal is hunting, it wouldn't hurt to try these sort of shots after you do the work on a flat range using a bench and stable rest.
Many match shooters test their loads using the positions they shoot from rather than from the bench. The recoil is different and may impact bullet flight. If the OP plans to shoot deer from his car door, it may be the preferred test method.

Many match shooters test their loads using the positions they shoot from rather than from the bench. The recoil is different and may impact bullet flight. If the OP plans to shoot deer from his car door, it may be the preferred test method.
I do too. After testing on the flat range from a controlled rest. There is knowing what YOU can do, then there is knowing what the AMMO you made can do.

After knowing the ammo and rifle can produce 0.3 inch holes at 100 yards in 5 shots, I don't feel bad when it opens up to 3 inches when I shoot it from a tree. If the ammo only did 3" groups at 100 from the bench, I'd likely not test it further out in the failed.

I don't hunt four legged critters, anymore. I'm an old farm boy so killing game is not my thing. I do however expect my reloads to be as or more dependable than factory ammo. Bench rest shooting is great for knowing the full potential of a reload. Real world shooting is a different animal, more veriables. So I chose to shoot from a truck door, a tree branch, side of a tree or just standing upright using a sling (or not) or kneeling, prone or otherwise. I get more satisfaction from shooting freehand and achieving 3 or 4 MOA than I do from getting 1 MOA using a rest. Just what I like to do to have fun, I'm very thankful for the 2nd Amendment and the fun it affords.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top