JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why, oh why do authors manage to get SOOOOO many things wrong with established facts and physics where GUNS are concerned? Great plots, great writing and yet, the moment they start writing about guns and shooting, it all turns to total rat-shirt. It's not as though it was arcane theory, is it? We are talking about the SCIENCE of ballistics and the LAWS of Momentum, conversion of mass and velocity into kinetic energy and so on.

We've all seen the story with a safety on a Smith & Wesson Model 29, on a GLOCK, even, but hows-about THIS pile of carp from noted author David Baldacci?

I'm quoting the exact wording from page 11 of his hit book, 'The hit' -

'The long-distance flight of the 7.62 round built up astonishing kinetic energy. In fact, the farther it traveled the more energy it built up.'

WT..........................?

Who tells authors that carp like this is fit to print, when the book is likely going to be read by 'a nation of riflemen', let alone a poor old furriner with a few guns living in Yesterdayland?

I stopped reading right there - having paid the equivalent of $30 for this book, I can tell you that it will be going back to the bookstore on Monday.

tac, really cheesed off. :mad: x10

I don't understand tac, here in the USA we shoot elk through the eye running at a 1000 yds over the shoulder and around the back with a 22 lr full auto single action bear cat while thumbing the hammer with both thumbs.

Sorry I should've said meters instead of yards, you probably won't believe me now.

Its exactly the same reason we see fire in outer space. Or someone being blow out a window on an airliner if its decompressed. Or the space ship feeling a shock wave from the bad guys ship they just blew up.

Physic's is a rarely understood science and writers took mostly English classes not science.

There's one guy, a Brit, has some utube vids where all he does is lambaste middle ages combat scenes.. it's pretty awesome.

cJs6E2.gif

cJs6E2.gif

This has been going on forever, may authors are members of the 'elite' and so have their head up their arse
what's the title of the book?

I'll let you guess from reading a quote from my post, and then test you again, OK?

Quote from Post #1 - read carefully - 'I'm quoting the exact wording from page 11 of his hit book, 'The hit' -

tac

I don't understand tac, here in the USA we shoot elk through the eye running at a 1000 yds over the shoulder and around the back with a 22 lr full auto single action bear cat while thumbing the hammer with both thumbs.

Sorry I should've said meters instead of yards, you probably won't believe me now.

Why's that?

Only the miltary of which I no longer are one, and furriners use meters. Forget all that stuff about meters up in the GWN, none of us use anything but miles and yards, and acres and board-feet and cords and bushels and quarts, not even those folks in Québec.

tac

Oh you mean the well known Glock revolver with safety switch? Or revolvers with "silencers?" Most of those authors, and "journalists" are like many citizens; they are ignorant. A basic tenant of writing is to write what you know about. Too many authors don't know diddly about guns, but otherwise know how to spin a good yarn. For me, it ruins the story.

An author I can recommend is Stephen Hunter, who has written several knowledgeable novels involving the care and use of firearms. He developed the character "Bob Lee Swagger" the son of "Sgt. Earl Swagger," two generations of snipers. One of his novels, "Point of Impact," was the base of the movie "Shooter." Unfortunately Hollywood ruined the story and cast Mark Wahlberg, an anti-gun actor, to play the role of Swagger. Not a bad movie anyway, but as is most such cases, the book is much better.
:cool:

I read a lot, Usually a couple of books a week. This has been one of my standard complaints since about 8th grade. Stephen King used to be awful about it, flat out making up calibers, firearms and terminology. He has improved, probably because so many folks gave him hell about it.

I am sure there are tons of similar situations with other subjects, It just so happens you know something about guns so it stands out.

I'm a former Stephen King fan, but quit reading his stuff when he began inserting "progressive" political opinion into his stories. I haven't read a King novel since the "Dome."

Im with ya, I started reading his stuff in the early 80's and was a fan up until I starting hearing what came out of his mouth in real life.

We've all seen the story with a safety on a Smith & Wesson Model 29, on a GLOCK, even, but hows-about THIS pile of carp from noted author David Baldacci?

I'm quoting the exact wording from page 11 of his hit book, 'The hit' -

'The long-distance flight of the 7.62 round built up astonishing kinetic energy. In fact, the farther it traveled the more energy it built up.'
WT..........................?

Oh that easy due to the curvature of the earth and the earths rotation that spins at about 1000 miles and hour. And 7.62x39mm is typically a 122-123 grain bullet moving along at 2350-2400 fps out of the muzzle. This speed when combined with the earths rotational speed gives it a boost at maximum velocity.
Glad I could help clear this up ! :rolleyes:;)

"tac, really cheesed off. :mad: x10":eek:

In the event you are not being rhetorical or facetious,:rolleyes: most bookstores and library's have people who can guide you to technical section.:) There, misinformation could be disappointing, disconcerting or even dangerous.:eek: I don't believe Mr.David Baldacci is listed in the technical section making expectations of accuracy puzzling.:confused:
We bought our granddaughter the Rush Limbaugh children's books yet While I believe the gist of the events are basically factual:) she knows no one can really time travel, :((yet):)and that a talking Liberty or even a Mr. Ed was a stretch. o_O:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top