JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7 years ago:

1) Save money over factory
2) Lack of available commercial ammo over abundance of reloading components.
3) WA and the FEDS were threatening the ammo searialization crap which excluded reloaded ammo. This caused ammo prices to jump and soon after WA added an additional tax on ammo. At the time I was buying .45 acp 230 gr for $18/50. Within 3 months it jumped to $25-$30/50.
4) Obama was about to be elected and in case of a cival war or a gun grabbing GOV I wanted to be able to uphold and defend the constituion as I have vowed oathes to do numerous times.
5) Commercial .300 Savage ammo is $35/20 I can reload them for .$15/ea.
6) Commercial .348 Win ammo is $85/20 I can reload them for the cost of powder and primers because I have traded enough brass and bullets to collect enough .348 Win brass and bullets to last me almost my lifetime.
7) Have you looked for .38 S&W commercial ammo at gun stores? I did for two years, most people thought I needed .38 special.......
8) I love to build, create, tinker.
9) What self respecting man does not like to play with explosives and make things go BOOM?
10) I love the smell of freshly burnt gun powder and also Hoppes #9.

I started because the Lee Hand Loader dies, mallet and dipper sets were to cheap to not have a complete set. Now, 45 years later, I don't know why. Maybe because it gives me reason to stay away form "Honey do" stuff as well, as ogling the local tavern marms. And I can't recall where those Lee items are. What did you say my name is??
Cheers,
Art

I reload for the accuracy and fine tuning ability for rifles, same thing for pistols. Cost per round is another big reason. There is no way I could afford to shoot 10-12 thousand .45 acp rounds a year without reloading. I also couldn't afford to buy 4-500 rounds of SD ammo to run thru the pistols before I carry that ammo, not to mention I usually shoot 1-2 mags of the ammo I carry every range trip. I like knowing exactly what's it every one of those rounds I'm trusting my life to. Same goes for my hunting ammo.

1988 When I started shooting IPSC and found out that ya gotta shoot more to get better and it only took 1 lb of powder and a SINGLE STAGE press to find out THIS SUCKS! Got a piggyback for my rockchucker and never looked back!!!

Now have the PiggyBack 3 on that same rockchucker!

Thanks to Jim House and family (Western Nevada Bullet Co. / ExTream Bullet Co.) for sponsoring my Team in Reno Nv.
High Plains Drifters and Western States Championship Rocked!! (SNPL)

Started reloading 40 years ago on a second hand Herters press. Couldn't afford to buy new ammo at the time but found a second hand setup that included a box of bullets and a half pound of powder. Today, I reload for 12 cartridges.

1988 When I started shooting IPSC and found out that ya gotta shoot more to get better and it only took 1 lb of powder and a SINGLE STAGE press to find out THIS SUCKS! Got a piggyback for my rockchucker and never looked back!!!

Now have the PiggyBack 3 on that same rockchucker!

Thanks to Jim House and family (Western Nevada Bullet Co. / ExTream Bullet Co.) for sponsoring my Team in Reno Nv.
High Plains Drifters and Western States Championship Rocked!! (SNPL)
What's SNPL?

I got into action pistol sports, and buying store ammo gets expensive fast. Then I quickly became sick of paying for remfg ammo that was lousy. After the 2nd time of driving an hour to return/exchange bad ammo, I went home, researched, & ordered a progressive press.

Began making my own 12 GA slugs that were not commercially available, and for the same reason, premium high velocity handgun rounds in 1985

Why do I reload?

First of all I got into reloading because I can make more accurate ammo than I can buy.

As a long time manufacturing guy, I get a kick out of being able to produce something with a high level of precision at home with hand tools.

I enjoy having the capability so that if I can't get ammo at the store I can make it.

It's a great way to relax and spend some time. Keeps my mind off of work and other things.

I can save a buck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads