JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two reasons, the first being that making my own ammo is just what's done. I'm not really a survivalist but like to be able to take care of myself. In about 1980 I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC, 100 rounds of factory ammo, a Lee Challenger press, dies and dipper set. I went to Hillsboro and bought a pound of Unique powder and 500 Liberty hardcast 255 SWC's. I was able to make better, harder hitting and more accurate ammo for much cheaper. That's the other reason, cost, back then factory ammo for the 45LC was $20.00/ 50 and I could load my pet handloads for $7.00/ hundred.

I keep reloading for the above reasons and a couple more, with the exception of the initial cost of the brass I can load most any caliber for virtually the same cost, it's all the same bullets, powder and primers whether I'm loading for say a 30-06 or the latest and greatest 300 Blamm-o. I also like shooting T/C's in non standard calibers so reforming brass is necessary. Fun stuff.

Last Edited:
I have been doing it for about 30 years. When I started it was mainly to produce less expensive ammunition for shooting and hunting. But the more I did it the more I learned that if you want to get the best and most consistent accuracy from your guns (especially rifles) you need to handload and tailor the cartridge to what your firearm likes. I have seen amazing difference in accuracy in the same rifle by changing up the bullet, brass, and powder. Bought a Cz 527 varmint .223 a few years back and tried shooting it with some old handloads using 55 gr fmj bullets and military once fired brass. Accuracy was pretty crummy--1-2 inch groups. Swithched to Berger 52 grain bullets, H335 powder and Lapua brass and it puts them all into the same hole.

Those CZ 527s are sweet. A CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is my next purchase. Unless I can find one of those Ruger All-Weather stainless synthetics in 7.62x39 that came out about 20 years ago. I traded for a bunch of Lapua, Boxer primed 7.62x39 brass many years ago. I bet I can get it around an inch or better with the proper load. Would make a real handy, light carbine. Time for my next project.

Hobby. Someday I might start casting and loading for bulk to save money but for now I doubt Im saving much. Although I am saving every bit of lead I find. A high round count day for me is 30 rounds so I'm not burning through ammo like most of you hotshots. I spend more time flapping gums than actually shooting.

I got into revolver action shooting competition and discovered that for even modest level competition I would have to shoot a minimum of 1000 rounds per month. So the reasons I took up reloading:

1. Cut expenses.
2. Make sure the exact type of ammo I wanted is always available.
3. Less expensive to try different loads, could create loads not commercially available.
4. My ammo is prettier than anyone else's.

I started when I was shooting various things chambered in 45lc, paid for itself in no time.

Still wanting to do some wildcats though just waiting on Barrett techs. to stop laughing about the .17/50 OMG barrel I want..........:p

I started when I was shooting various things chambered in 45lc, paid for itself in no time.

Still wanting to do some wildcats though just waiting on Barrett techs. to stop laughing about the .17/50 OMG barrel I want..........:p

Lol. That would take15' barrel and a solid copper bullet so it doesn't disintegrate in the barrel. Hell, 10,000fps .17cal would be one sweet varmiter.

I started because I can. I like to tinker...

After I started I reload for many reasons for my Lee Enfield, 303 British.
I can build a bullet to fit in weight and velocity exactly what I am shooting.
My groups have been cut in half.
My bullets are 25% to 50% cheaper depending on my parts.
Because it is cheaper I shoot more often.

Also,
It's relaxing.
It's fun.
It's satisfying.

I might start reloading 9mm Lugar for target shooting because I've been going through a lot of those.

1: Seemed like a natural extension of the shooting hobby (.308 target).
2: So I could have better, more accurate cartridges.
3: So I could have ammo when I wanted.
4: So I could save $, eventually ;)
5: Zombie apocalypse.

In that order.

:)

I started just for something to do, at 14 years old(1969) I was already a "gun nut"!!

Started sending letters to all the manufacturers I could get catalogs from. Al Gore:nuts: hadn't invented the internet yet!!:s0114:

Started with a Lee loader and a plastic mallet in 30-06 never looked back!!

Never looked at it as a money saver, just like building my OWN stuff.

Dad said sit on this stool and pull that handle. I was 11 it was 1968. Dad and his buddies were talking about how the sky was falling cause the government was about to pass the GCA of 68 and no one would be able to buy any ammo.

I been reloading since. And you can still buy ammo.

With some of the calibers I shoot like 30-40Krag I save as much as .90 cents per round compared to the factory crap available.

Back when I was quail hunting, I patterned some factory shells. Not so good. I was hitting about 30% kill rate with those. Made up a custom shell, light load at very high velocity to reduce lead distance on these fast, little targets. Supurb pattern, no holes at all. Hit rate went immediatly to 60%+.

Hand loading allows far better quality control giving better consistancy, accuracy and results. And you can customize for your particular guns and uses, all at the same time saving money over factory mediocrity. Nips the availability problems as well as long as you just stock up components when available to meet your future needs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top