JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So basically if you're like me, and live in a county where the Cleo won't sign off on NFA items, a trust is the only way to go.
My question is why did they give them that much power? I mean even if it's legal in your state, if the Cleo won't sign off then it's basically a de facto ban on all NFA items. If the ATF goes forward in not allowing the trusts anymore, then I will never be able to own one.
Giving a Cleo the power to deny all NFA stuff is a lot of power for one guy.

You should see the power they have in Hawaii. They are a "may issue" state and the Honolulu chief of police has not given any citizen in the last 15-20 years a permit to carry a firearm.

Damn. That's ridiculous. How can they give one person so much power over our gun rights? I mean one cleo's opinion decides the fate of everyone in their jurisdiction.

So basically if you're like me, and live in a county where the Cleo won't sign off on NFA items, a trust is the only way to go.
My question is why did they give them that much power? I mean even if it's legal in your state, if the Cleo won't sign off then it's basically a de facto ban on all NFA items. If the ATF goes forward in not allowing the trusts anymore, then I will never be able to own one.
Did you go to the Police chief? Or the Sheriff?
The CLEO does not have the power to deny you. It's not a "permission slip"

If the sheriff will not sign, you need to let him know that you will get the NFA item anyway via a trust. Others can explain that simple process.

You also need to let him know that since he is not doing the job YOU ELECTED HIM TO DO, that you will actively campaign for his opposition in the next election.
Lose-Lose for him.

I'm going the trust route. But in a super liberal place like king county, I doubt the cleo would worry about me saying I won't vote for him etc.

It's not a permission slip type thing? I mean let's say they do away with the trust route. Then basically it is all up to the cleo right?

CLEO has far more power than that. Technically the county sheriff is the highest law enforcement official in the county - exceeding all other officials - and as such can demand even federal officials to leave the county or arrest them at will for operating without permission.

The Sheriff is the highest official in the county. He/she certainly does have the power to deny you unless you live in a shall sign state which we don't have in the NW. Goes back to the beginning of the NFA where having a instant check database was just all science fiction talk. The Sheriff knew if you were a bad guy .

Dont worry about it. My first trust purchases were because the Sheriff wouldn't sign for his own brother. 10 years and 15 NFA purchases/builds later on a trust and I could give a damn what the sheriff thinks.

CLEO has far more power than that. Technically the county sheriff is the highest law enforcement official in the county - exceeding all other officials - and as such can demand even federal officials to leave the county or arrest them at will for operating without permission.
This has been the case for some time,like since we had sheriffs in the US,no?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top