JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why Chicago Loves Portland

Mayor Daley has his eye on jobs from high-tax Oregon.
:s0053::s0053::s0053:
<broken link removed>

Daley wants to raid Pacific Northwest talent

Chicago has been playing defense lately because of the exodus of trade shows at McCormick Place. But it looks like Mayor Daley is preparing to make the switch to offense.

Daley said Thursday he’s coming after businesses in the Pacific Northwest, emboldened by what he considers Oregon’s head-scratching decision to approve higher taxes on big corporations and big wage-earners.

“What happened in Oregon is not good news for Oregon. They believe that anybody who makes $125,000 or more [annually] or businesses or anyone who makes $250,000 — they’re gonna start taxing them. They call them ‘rich people,’ ” the mayor said.

“I’ve always thought America stands for [rewarding success]. You finish high school. You work hard, go to college and you hope to succeed in life. I never knew it’s a class war—that those who succeed in life are the ones that have to bear all the burden. I never realized that. It will be a whole change in America that those who succeed and work hard [that] we’re gonna tax ‘em more than anyone else.”

Daley said Oregon’s tax blunder spells opportunity for Chicago.

“It will help our economic development immediately. You’d better believe it. We’ll be out in Oregon enticing corporations to relocate to Chicago. I’ll be very frank. I make no bones about that. If those states want to do that, so be it,” he said.

Earlier this week, Oregon voters endorsed the idea of establishing a new and higher tax bracket of 10.8 percent for individuals earning more than $125,000 and families with annual incomes above $250,000. A tax rate of 11 percent would apply to a household income that tops $500,000-a-year.

Yet another increase would target Oregon corporations. A $10 minimum tax would be replaced by a sliding scale that ranges from $150-to-$100,000, depending on annual revenue.

And the tax rate for corporate income above $250,000 would rise to 7.9 percent. The tax rate for income below $250,000 would be 6.6 percent.

It’s not the first time Daley has hammered those who target successful businesses for higher taxes.

In 2007, he accused then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich of playing with fire by using anti-business rhetoric to sell his ill-fated gross receipts tax.

“Business people are not fat cats,” the mayor said at the time, lecturing Blagojevich.

“To describe every major CEO in Illinois as fat cats is a mistake. . . . They don't have to be here. They can go to Wisconsin. They can go Indiana. They can go to India. They can go to China. So if you want to beat up businesses, go beat them up and when they leave, just wave to them, and they're going to wave back to you.”

Hey come to Chicago where the thugs rule the streets (and the Mayor's office as well) and you have no right to defend yourself or your family with a handgun. Sounds like a GREAT deal to me................NOT.

While I certainly don't support what we have done with taxes in Oregon, you'd have to be out of your mind to move to Chicago.

Hey come to Chicago where the thugs rule the streets (and the Mayor's office as well) and you have no right to defend yourself or your family with a handgun. Sounds like a GREAT deal to me................NOT.

While I certainly don't support what we have done with taxes in Oregon, you'd have to be out of your mind to move to Chicago.

100% correct.

That's the same mayor Daley who ripped up a famous landmark airport illegally to make it into a park. Chicago voters are every bit as stupid as Oregon voters.

That's a fact, only difference they didn't vote to raise taxes during these hard times.............:huh:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top