JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no literal memory in the muscles, but the thing people call "muscle memory" exists, though the name is a misnomer.

A better name might be "subconscious memory," as the information is stored in the brain, but is most readily accessible—or only accessible—by non-conscious means.

What "non-conscious" refers to here is the brain's enormous capacity to train up what might almost be called "subroutines," that exist outside our conscious experience. I like the term for this that at least one researcher in the field uses: "zombie agency."

Zombie agents are non-conscious, or sub-conscious (in the literal, not the Freudian sense) that can do essentially everything you can do except make value judgments. So, for example, you don't consciously know how to control your muscles in order to walk —in all likelihood, you wouldn't know where to begin—but your zombie agents do, and they'll take you wherever you want to go, dodging curbs and puppies, and "waking you" when appropriate to decide which babies to stop and kiss.

Zombie agents can be rather startling things. When you suddenly become aware that you've driven halfway across town in the direction of the office instead of going to the shoe store Saturday morning, you have zombie agents to thank. You "wake" as if from slumber, and with the frightening realization that you've been flying down the highway at prodigious speed while your mind was on other things. You feel as if you've been asleep, and in a way you have—but a very funny kind of sleep in which it is only the uppermost layer of abstract reason that is disassociated from the rest of conscious experience. Your zombie agents have been driving to work, responding to traffic, adjusting the radio, noting the check engine light, all the things you think of as "you, driving the car," except the big one: deciding where to go. That part was on automatic pilot (which is another good way to think of this).

The Zombie agents are not literally Zombie agents but are an identifier label to help explain what is meant.

Edit: these are not my words. Other than the explanation of Zombie agents being an identifier label. I just like how it explains it for me.

Last Edited:
I wasn't referring to any of your previous statements at all (tbh I haven't read them yet even). I was only responding (agreeing with) willamettewill's statement on the poster who said 90% forget to take off the safety (or something to that effect).
I was just jumping on the "I never said" train. ;)

But in truth, I've been bitten before by posting generalities... your turn. :p;):D

Tried Scotch can't do it… as far as 9 vs 45… isn't the 10mm younger still and therefore a better round? @solv3nt
Scotch sucks.

My wife is Scotch.

Oh, whiskey? I only drink Canadian. But I used to drink Rye. Or American blended. Or Irish. Or Bourbon. Anything but Scotch. (Ectually, my doc says I'm not to drink any alcohol, PERIOD!)

Scotch sucks.

My wife is Scotch.

Oh, whiskey? I only drink Canadian. But I used to drink Rye. Or American blended. Or Irish. Or Bourbon. Anything but Scotch. (Ectually, my doc says I'm not to drink any alcohol, PERIOD!)
I can't tell if you're trying to say that "your wife sucks" or if you're trying to say that "your wife sucks". Is that the sucky suck or straight up sucks?

Last Edited:
I must be extra-special dumb, because I often carry with an empty holster. :)

Just kidding- whenever I empty-holster carry, I don't bother with the holster.

1) "so I went full commando with it…"
What? You stopped wearing underwear?

2) The person who's not highly trained should
a) Carry a revolver
b) Get more training
c) Stay home
d) Call the police
e) All of the above

3) Is an empty chamber really a "tiny little tradeoff?"
In a DGU milliseconds can make the difference between life and death.

4) "I am also in my mid fifties and arthritis is becoming a thing."
Wait until you're in your 70s.
No matter how fast - even lightning quick - no good to draw from the drop. The best you can hope for is to be shot while you are shooting the perp. It takes training via observation, but situational awareness is #1. If it has not yet but is going to hit the fan, duck out if possible. Then draw. Time and space give you options.

From every single firearms instructor that I have ever been to… to anyone who has ever attended a class and used a 1911.
I attend classes to learn and be pushed into making mistakes. So, If I'm doing something that is stretching my normal comfort levels and I fail, that is an incredibly healthy form of learning. But if I'm just shooting unstressed range reps, I shouldn't be making basic mistakes...but for some new shooters, just doing that may be a stretch for them and they are learning as well. We are not all at the same journey in our training.

As students are pushed, it is very common for mags to not get seated properly and fall out of guns, guns have malfunctions from shooters trying new positions which changes their grip, reloads go awry, and all of this is part of the learning process (as long as it's done safely).

To me, good instructors will notice student's weakness and give them tools to improve. Good students don't stop learning after the class as I firmly believe the best learning happens in the four months after a class with refining what is learned.

Like in all of life, not all shooters will put the work in to improve their craft. I've commented on this here before. Is the answer really to hand them a simpler gun (pull trigger, go bang)? We very likely just created the next ND because if they refuse to work on manipulating a safety, what makes us think they will work on keeping their finger off the trigger?

Didn't really read the whole thread but I'm just waiting to witness the slide locked carry.
I can get behind this...presuming we are shooting an SMG from an open bolt...right??? :rolleyes:

I am willing to bet the bad guy's chamber isn't empty. Why would you give them the advantage and carry yours empty?

If you're not comfortable carrying chambered, you're not ready to carry. If you are too scared to carry chambered, I can imagine how poorly you would do in a real self dense situation.

Last Edited:
I attend classes to learn and be pushed into making mistakes. So, If I'm doing something that is stretching my normal comfort levels and I fail, that is an incredibly healthy form of learning. But if I'm just shooting unstressed range reps, I shouldn't be making basic mistakes...but for some new shooters, just doing that may be a stretch for them and they are learning as well. We are not all at the same journey in our training.

As students are pushed, it is very common for mags to not get seated properly and fall out of guns, guns have malfunctions from shooters trying new positions which changes their grip, reloads go awry, and all of this is part of the learning process (as long as it's done safely).

To me, good instructors will notice student's weakness and give them tools to improve. Good students don't stop learning after the class as I firmly believe the best learning happens in the four months after a class with refining what is learned.

Like in all of life, not all shooters will put the work in to improve their craft. I've commented on this here before. Is the answer really to hand them a simpler gun (pull trigger, go bang)? We very likely just created the next ND because if they refuse to work on manipulating a safety, what makes us think they will work on keeping their finger off the trigger?

I can get behind this...presuming we are shooting an SMG from an open bolt...right??? :rolleyes:
Honestly that's my point… it is potentially possible to have caused the next person to have a negligent discharge… teaching them to flip off the safety and then line up sights and fire etc… if they practice the 4 basic rules of firearm safety then honestly that's never going to happen… I appreciate everyone saying practice practice practice… I just have noticed certain common flaws and learning what they are and then being shown how to correct them… the one thing is the natural response of flight or fight… even if the guard in the video didn't have to rack the slide or whether he carried whatever pistol you want him to have he was at an extreme disadvantage do to lack of situational awareness… they had their pistols already drawn and there was more than one. I'm not a guard or officer so for me I don't have a problem with carrying a 1911. If I was either one then I would be carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber and no safety.

Cond. 3 (empty chamber)
Takes both hands to deploy your piece.
Takes longer to get off the 1st round.
Introduces one more possible cause for malfunction.
If taking the safety off is a problem, what is racking a round in a situation of existential peril?
Puts you going into the fight a round down before you even start shooting.

Saint John Moses actually intended his masterpiece to be carried in Cond. 0 (cocked and unlocked) with the grip safety being adequate to prevent unintended discharge. That was before the Legal Industry took over the world.

You all are missing a YUGE advantage of empty-chamber carry. Once you've got the drop on the bad guy, and you really want to emphasize the danger he's in, that's when you rack the slide. It makes a super scary noise that gets your point across. I learned this from Hollywood; they do it all the time in the movies.

No matter how fast - even lightning quick - no good to draw from the drop. The best you can hope for is to be shot while you are shooting the perp. Time and space give you options.
For your consideration: the many times a CC person had a gun pointed at him, but waited for the BG to look away, or even better, to turn away, then stealthily or quickly made his draw and got shots on the perp(s).

Most robbers are not killers, therefore, compliance most often buys you time, and time buys you options.

The big guard in this vid that was messing with the money bag had the perp dead when the perp looked away (to shoot the other guard), but his gun wasn't chambered.... suck time.

in a real self dense situation.

Ummm hmmm. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top