JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why Carry a Gun?
My old grandpa said to me, “Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an *** whoopin’. “I don’t carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed. I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place. I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world. I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world. I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government. I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared. I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.” Police Protection” is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they investigate the crime after it happens – and then try to clean up the mess. Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an *** whoopin’.
“author unknown” (but obviously brilliant)

Personal protection. Protecting my loved ones, and because its my right and legal. I'm still not ready to carry that AK I got from you because I cant find the right holster. :s0112: I do like the option of having 80 rounds at my disposal tho. :s0155:

1- Yea I print just a wee bit.
2- Yep old guys ain't got time to pussy foot around. They WILL shoot you.
3- Haven't found the coat to cover it, That's why I OPEN CARRY. Its stuck. No draw time to report.
4- 2 40 round mags back to back. I hope I don,t need a spare mag.
Next time I will try my 30-30 with a scope. Probably wont work ether. DANG IT.

:)

Tattoo,
I think what you are doing is great, I come from a very diverse family of close-minded liberals and close-minded conservatives.
Prepare for a read....

I recently taught my wife at her mothers urging... and taught my mother-in-law how to shoot at the same time.
By the end of the day my wife liked .22s and my MIL who is pretty bad-*** and a Rodeo Princess and Rancher a few years back...was laying out the Mosin-44 at a distance.
Thats half of my family (sort of)

So. My mom is very anti-gun, her objection to me getting my CHL (to be issued soon) was.... "I'd rather be killed than be a killer"
... long rest of dinner.

My mom asked again about "Gun Licenses" AGAIN.... this is the only reason CHL came up because I am helping her(the MIL) sell a handgun and my mother thought I "needed a license to sell a firearm".

My point on this Thread is...
1) I agree with Open Carry.
2) If/When I see Open Carry, I will either a] talk to them about their gun or b] see they are with their family/friends and politely give the 'Guy nod/Gal smile'
or
3) realize its a sweatpants/holster, and be defensive and make a call 911 and put a hand on my piece... if it feels appropriate, I'd rather be safe than 1980s trendy.... yup I'm stereotyping by clothes, But I also have to watch 2 hours of cops at work every night... and clothes say more than location or ethnicity ever does.

But why I post is; My mom is a well educated and highly-active in her church and a heck of a woman, and she did not know anything about gun laws, didn't know about ownership or CHL ... She is an articulate well educated, and if you have children, you can't find a better music or class-room teacher.
but
She is more out-spokenly anti-gun Now that I have accidentally informed her of the availability of guns here in Oregon.

(She is a NYer who spent the last 20yrs in Indonesia - no guns even with police in that country, but previously lived in Africa in the 70s and hired mercenaries - Irony, yup, **** yup) and spends her free time with no political agenda just to help people thru her church. Don't ask me to explain, I can't, but...

Tattoo, Open Carry. It is our right, but it also alerts many non-informed of our gun rights. I think that a potential newspaper story might wake un-aware viewers to a spot of knowledge of something else to object too.

I apologize for the long-windedness above, but as many eyes as I've opened up to the you can own a gun laws doesn't yet equal the more terrified Fear of guns that I've known as a gun owner.

I hate to say but, under the radar, slight victories can gain more than large ones in this fight.
The less people like my Mom know about OC or CHL or Oregon gun laws the better, it leaves them uninformed to form those 'community groups' that we have to fight against to protect them from us.
I wish this wasn't a good Idea, But I think it is in some circumstances.

There are some people who will not become 'comfortable' with OC, they will become dialzillas with their 911 calls. Like both sides of the political spectrum, you can't change people,

I'd like to push the safety idea, and what all Cops have told me "we'll be there long after the crime is committed, please carry a gun with proper education"

But, If I can guess at who Tattoo is as a person, he will be the person who changes my moms idea on safety.
I just fear he will invigorate her by accident; safety of life, not OC may be what leads to public acceptability of OC.
Hopefully I made sense.
I hope your OC trail goes well.

As long as self defense is a God given right guarenteed by the Constitution of the USA, I have no reason to justify useing said right. Others can choose as they will but my right never needs the question "why" in front of it.

jj

The only person responsible for your safety is you. You feed yourself, clothe yourself, keep yourself sheltered, and keep yourself alive. No one else is responsible for this. That is why I carry a gun, because no one else should have to run to my rescue.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top