JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd be content with just having Darth Vader's Force Choke. :)
Uh-huh, and just what are you gonna be choking with that? :D

Let me guess, gonna lay "these aren't the droids you're looking for" on everyone you see? :p
I have paraphrased this before in a tense situation. "These aren't the nerds you're looking for." with the hand thing and everything. Tough guy just stood there and stared at us like WTF while we walked away. :rolleyes: Ah, to be young and plastered again...

Uh-huh, and just what are you gonna be choking with that? :D

I have paraphrased this before in a tense situation. "These aren't the nerds you're looking for." with the hand thing and everything. Tough guy just stood there and stared at us like WTF while we walked away. :rolleyes: Ah, to be young and plastered again...
Oh, so many richly deserving targets of such a plausibly-deniable attitude adjustment... *evil Emperor Palpatine laugh*

What do you suppose the range is on that death grip thing? A lot of my mortal enemies are a long drive from here. :D
Easily measured in miles, and no line-of-sight required... remember, IIRC Vader choked the captain of a different Star Destroyer, and those were each a mile long which would in turn imply wanting to maintain double-digit mileage of separation?

Easily measured in miles, and no line-of-sight required... remember, IIRC Vader choked the captain of a different Star Destroyer, and those were each a mile long which would in turn imply wanting to maintain double-digit mileage of separation?

Yeah, but that's in the void of space.

Here in the PNW I'd think the range would be much lower due to all the snowflake-attude thoughts floating around.

A-10's for everyone!!

I think were gonna run out of A-10's!

Seriously, Congresscritters were forced to accept a slow stepped fazing out of the -10 until at LEAST 2022, BUT a suitable replacement, OR serious upgrade plan MUST be submitted BY the A.F. before the -10 is stricken off the books!
The A.F. is doing a serious study as we speak, and several manufactures are kicking in (Boeing being the lead,) to ether find a Replacement Off The Shelf, Design a NEW Airframe, Or Seriously modify the existing air frame, and the A.F. gets final say, not congress!!! From what I can see, option A) seriously modify look's to be the most cost to benefit effective option. B) New design/build from scratch is the A.F.'s second prime option, and options for interim CAS mission use until the air frames are ready for action. Embreare of Brazil looks to be the Best first option for CAS mission support, and the A.F. has purchased 24 to be fitted out and tested! IF it gets the green light, orders for an additional 240 air frames will come!
1487975257-gallery11.jpg

I think were gonna run out of A-10's!

Seriously, Congresscritters were forced to accept a slow stepped fazing out of the -10 until at LEAST 2022, BUT a suitable replacement, OR serious upgrade plan MUST be submitted BY the A.F. before the -10 is stricken off the books!
The A.F. is doing a serious study as we speak, and several manufactures are kicking in (Boeing being the lead,) to ether find a Replacement Off The Shelf, Design a NEW Airframe, Or Seriously modify the existing air frame, and the A.F. gets final say, not congress!!! From what I can see, option A) seriously modify look's to be the most cost to benefit effective option. B) New design/build from scratch is the A.F.'s second prime option, and options for interim CAS mission use until the air frames are ready for action. Embreare of Brazil looks to be the Best first option for CAS mission support, and the A.F. has purchased 24 to be fitted out and tested! IF it gets the green light, orders for an additional 240 air frames will come!
View attachment 367380

I heard they may be turning back to prop planes for CAS missions. Blades work for the choppers, I suppose they could work here too. The A-10 isn't exactly a speed demon anyway. I will be sad to see them go when the time comes.

My money is on seriously upgrading the existing air frames as the final solution. Talking with a coupla folks at ONMARK, it looks like the A.F. IS wanting to go that way, and that makes all kinds of sense! You have an all ready proven air frame and Gun combo, you have a supply chain that can ramp up production of parts and air frame components not currently available, and a host of new engines and the manufactures chomping at the bit to get that contract, and it adds up to a win, win for every one. the biggest problem the A-10 ever had was it's man hour to cost ratio, it's a big bird and a complex one at that, and it cost a butt load to keep it fighting, that's always been a major hurdle to over come. With the upgrades, they think they can get the costs down to about what a Prop Plane would fight at, and that makes the A-10 the best option. Having seen the proposed replacements, and the "Off the Shelf" options, the existing A-10 still out classes every thing else! Keep your Fingers Crossed!

I'd favor a Hi-Lo approach: revamp and reopen the Hog line, partnered with a new run of "Super Broncos" as the low end--while they're at it, offer a "stripped" civilian version to help maintain production volume.

The Bronco was a serious contender at first, but it's many short comings quickly did it in. Cost wise, it's not a good choice to try and upgrade it, as the major issues will still be there! The One major prop Plane design that looks the most promising is a sort of modern hot rod version of the old WW-II through Vietnam A-26 Invader. Big air frame, lots of internal room for armament, avionics, and fuel, Big mid shoulder wing for lots of stores and ease of loading, and with two great big turbo props swinging 8 blade fans HANDED, it would really suit the desires quite well.

My money is on seriously upgrading the existing air frames as the final solution. Talking with a coupla folks at ONMARK, it looks like the A.F. IS wanting to go that way, and that makes all kinds of sense! You have an all ready proven air frame and Gun combo, you have a supply chain that can ramp up production of parts and air frame components not currently available, and a host of new engines and the manufactures chomping at the bit to get that contract, and it adds up to a win, win for every one. the biggest problem the A-10 ever had was it's man hour to cost ratio, it's a big bird and a complex one at that, and it cost a butt load to keep it fighting, that's always been a major hurdle to over come. With the upgrades, they think they can get the costs down to about what a Prop Plane would fight at, and that makes the A-10 the best option. Having seen the proposed replacements, and the "Off the Shelf" options, the existing A-10 still out classes every thing else! Keep your Fingers Crossed!

I would have to imagine the modern turbofan engines would be able to be smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient and still produce the same or better thrust than those big original engines. Though of course using smaller engines means a complete redesign of the engine nacelles/shrouds, fuel lines, controls and even the general weight and balance of the plane.

I always enjoyed watching A-10's doing flyby's at the Portland air show - sounded more like a business jet or an airliner rather than the roar of the fighters, and most definitely quieter than the Harrier :eek:

The TF34 was chosen largely because it was small, high bypass for IR reduction (big fan, small core, lots of cold air getting moved along with the hot) and off-the-shelf since it was in use for the S-3 Viking.

There isn't much better in its size class--I used to have a spec chart for most of the world's jet engines on the other laptop, but can't get to it since the machine's gotta go into the shop for repair and overhaul.

You may still be able to get an M1 Garand through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Last I checked the nice ones were all sold but they still had some lower grade ones. And they should sell off all of the M9s that they're replacing. There's probably some stupid reason they won't, but they should.
I think I've seen them on gunbroker.com - but the sellers usually want top dollar for that stuff

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top