JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone,
I've been to the range twice trying to adjust the sights on my rifled musket and the groups are
consistently 3-4 inches low & 3-4 inches left. I click the sights over, following the instructions,
but the groups don't move. After I cleaned it tonight I even put some penetrating oil on the sight
adjustment screws. When I adjust them you can hear and feel the sight click. I'm also sighting @ 25 yards.
The thing is the groups are good with 2 out of 3 or, 3 out of 4 shots touching.

This is what I am using:
Lyman Great Plains Hunter 32" barrel
.54, percussion cap
Powder: Hodgen 777, FFG @ 50 grains
RWS caps
Sights: Lyman Receiver Sight- 57 GPR with a rear ghost ring and White bead front post
Balls: Hornady 224 grain .530 lead balls
Patches: Ox-yoke prelubed patches @ .010

I've previously tried patches @ .005, .010 & .015; spit patches, oiled patches and patches lubed with ox-yoke.
I also tried my stash of Speer 224 grain balls @ .530.

All I can think of is to try different combinations of RWS or CCI caps and decrease my powder charge
5 grains at a time to move the groups. The RWS caps are roughly twice as hot as the CCI and probably increase the velocity. By decreasing the velocity the groups should move up and to the right. It has to do if the twist is right or left handed and the height of the sights above the center of the bore. I'd like to stick with H 777; I have a good supply and I can shoot it all day with the wonder lube patches with out the bore fouling too badly. This way I can get all of the way through a match without the rifle choking.

Blessings,
Long Beard

Remember that adjustments at close range move impact very slightly vs farther away. For instance, with 1/2 MOA adjustments, it takes 2 to move an inch at 100, 4 at 50, and like 8 at 25.

Actually the penetrating oil on the sight screws did the trick. I was easily moved and set in a few minutes.
I wish every thin was solved that easily.

LongBeard

IMG_0337.jpg IMG_0338.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top