JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In another thread a poster was wanting to build a custom model 700 for shooting to or beyond 800 yds. Another poster had some ideas which included blueprinting the action. My question is why ? Accuracy ? I know what blueprinting means but what does it improve ? I have never had a Model 700 that really needed any work beyond bedding and floating. Mine all shot sub 3/4 MOA with handloads. What would blueprinting buy me ?

Not trying to piss anyone off or troll, just curious. I have no experience with it.

It depends on the level of accuracy you want to achieve. If you get the results you want then you are good to go. If you want/need greater accuracy and have the shooting skills to match a blueprint or a designer action may help you squeeze out that last little bit. Check out the forums at snipershide.com

my opinion, most rifles will be more accurate than the shooter. having a well built rifle is certainly an advantage, but seeing how accurate most off the shelf mass produced rifles are I don't really see the need. How much is it worth to shrink a group slightly? If you really want to I suppose setting the barrel back, lapping the bolt lugs, recutting the chamber, casting the chamber, loading ammo "Just right", I guess it depends on how much money you have to burn. There probably is a point where this all becomes a bit OCD.

Blueprinting simply means squaring up the entire assembly to ensure it is better than factory, or as close to perfect as the engineers wanted as possible: in the case of a rifle--to squeeze the maximum amount of accuracy out of it.

Is it necessary? Just depends on shooter skill, application and (probably more so) budget.

In agreement with coop44, however most rifles out of the box are more than adequate for most applications.

However, if one is going to be building up a purpose built rifle from scratch, why not just make the extra investment to make everything as perfect as possible? Either blueprint a factory action or start with a premium action?

The only other time blueprinting would be reasonable is during it's first rebarreling: if the rifle is going to be down, might as well make it "perfect" since one is probably making the investment to replace the old barrel with a premium one.

Ultimately, it comes down to what that extra 0.25 to 0.50 moa accuracy is worth to the individual.

There are certain things that get done to any rifle that I build. If I have the barrel off the rifle, or I start with a naked action, then it simply makes sense to do certain things. First, is that bolts get lapped to the action. It doesn't take much time to do and does make a difference. Next is squaring off the action face. Again, not much time, and helps. If the bolt face is new or not bad, I don't bother cleaning it up or re-cutting it. If I'm starting off with a Mauser or something else that's been shot with corrosive ammo, or the breech face simply shows sign of wear, then it gets re-cut as well. I also tend to polish the raceways on all the rifles I build. Some need more than others, but a rifle you pay for should feel smooth. All told, all these things can add up to a couple hours to any build. But if someone is paying for custom, that's what they should get. All those little things that the factory cannot afford to do.

Do they help? Yeah, most of the time. Some things, some times, more than others...

to me "blueprinting" is holding all dimensions to spec, NOT within allowances (i.e. "plus or minus" ranges), but to the as designed dimensions, to do this a reciever will have to actually be undersized in all dimensions to to allow it to be brought to the proper dimensions (easier to take away than add). Given that most mass produced weapons are made with slightly worn or resharpened tooling this may not be difficult to find.

I don't think many retailers would allow such a detailed examination of their stock.

That being said, My definition may not be yours. After all, IT ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY, OR EVEN BRAIN SCIENCE.

That being said, My definition may not be yours. After all, IT ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY, OR EVEN BRAIN SCIENCE.

^^^^ That's funny!

"Blueprinting" or truing an action is a lot like balancing and "blueprinting" an engine.
The stock rifle, or engine, is usually very serviceable and will do you well. This holds true especially if you are using the product for it's intended purpose. If you plan on using it outside of it's intended purpose, like high RPMs or long range shooting, you will find that the extra work will pay off.
I agree that most rifles will out shoot the operator, especially if I am the operator!

Out of curiosity does anyone have a very ballpark figure on what blueprinting a bolt gun costs (like a Remington 700)? What about an auto (like an AR-15 or AR-10)? I'm sure it would vary a lot and probably accompany other things like rebarreling and bedding actions, trigger jobs, etc. But I just wonder what getting everything in spec would cost.

I would first see how the particular rifle shot . I have seen people shoot almost all in one hole groups at 100 yards with an off the shelf Remmington 700 rifle in 223 with worked up hand loads. I doubt I could do as well no matter how much $$$ I spent to make the rifle fancy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top