JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That question always bugs me whether I am selling a car, gun, or lawn mower. What, I have to tell you I need the money, or make up some story about how I got something else and don't use this anymore? Just to give the person a chance to then lowball me? The seller gives you the condition of the item, the buyer comes and takes a look to confirm, sale goes through or it doesn't. When I am in the market for something I couldn't care less why the person is selling it. It has no baring on the transaction.

It's like the buyer is going from a book they bought on how to buy, and this is one of the steps. Drives me nuts.

I sold my sig 250c because the trigger wouldn't reset unless you practically took your finger off the trigger..

something you don't realize unless you actually go out and run some rounds thu it..

so alot of people who buy firearms expect a responsible person would tell you the likes or dislikes of a firearms.. learn off your experience..

so unless you are trying to sell junk guns man up and answer questions.

I sold my sig 250c because the trigger wouldn't reset unless you practically took your finger off the trigger..

something you don't realize unless you actually go out and run some rounds thu it..

so alot of people who buy firearms expect a responsible person would tell you the likes or dislikes of a firearms.. learn off your experience..

This...

If you can't be honest about why you are selling, why should I buy from you?

Now, the random "why" post in a FS thread, ya....no reason for that....

Don't like that you insinuate that I have something to hide. If something is wrong with the thing it will be in the description. Never sold a thing without disclosing a defect. Just get annoyed at the question. Ask me about the condition, is anything wrong with it, is it fully functional. Those are the only things that a buyer needs to know.

So in this situation, the buyer could ask "how does it shoot?"

Maybe you shouldn't sell stuff, if dealing with people's questions are such a problem....I can already sense you'd never survive a retail parts counter...

If I was attempting to do business with you, and asked that question, and you responded by getting all huffy and defensive....guess what? You just lost a sale.

Asking "how" is different then asking "why".

I to have often wondered this. I generally respond with "because I am" Not hiding anything. I tell prospective buyer all the pro/cons that I know of.

I would think that asking, what do you not like about it, is a much better question. Asking, why are you selling it, does inter the realm of getting too personal. Personal situations come up from time to time, that require a person to sell. If I ask, what did you not like about it and the seller says "Nothing, it is a great gun or Just to small for my hands" I can judge for myself if it would work for me. The internet is full of excellent gun reviews, that you can seek out the down/up side of any firearm.
So, I think asking WHY is going personal. Asking WHAT is asking a opinion of the firearm.

john

Maybe you shouldn't sell stuff, if dealing with people's questions are such a problem....I can already sense you'd never survive a retail parts counter...

If I was attempting to do business with you, and asked that question, and you responded by getting all huffy and defensive....guess what? You just lost a sale.

You make a lot of assumptions. The question annoys me, but I am always polite and do answer. Just don't think it's anyones business why I am selling something.

I think it's a valid question. I ask it because I want to know why someone is offloading something. Typically that means the seller doran like the item and I like to know why. Additionally OP, not everyone is the honest perfect angel that you apparently are. And how the heck are we supposed to know you are super honest if we don't know you? You're just another random anonymous screen name to most of us. It would be dumb not to ask questions. And I too would immediately lose interest in your item if you got huffy or refused to answer my questions.

Ok, I don't get "huffy" or refuse to answer questions. I just get annoyed at questions that are irrelivent.

If a gun has trigger issues, or jams, does an honest answer to the question of why I am selling it tell you that? No. I could say I need the money, or whatever else. Now, if you ask about the functionality of the firearm, an honest answer would tell you what is important for you to know.

If I am buying a car, I am going to ask about the service history, reliability, maintainance, that tells me what I need to know. I don't need to know that the guy was just diagnosed with cancer and can't afford his meds.

You make a lot of assumptions. The question annoys me, but I am always polite and do answer. Just don't think it's anyones business why I am selling something.

Unless the reason you are selling would make it unsuitable for the buyer.

I frequently ask "why?". The seller may have some insight I overlooked, they do after all have much more experience with what they are selling then I do.

Also if there is something wrong with the product they are more likely to tell you after you ask a specific question. I don't doubt you are 100% forthcoming in your descriptions, but to assume that about everyone on the internet would be downright foolish. The more questions you ask and have answered the better "feel" you get for whether or not the seller is giving you the "whole truth".

Wow, I didn't realize that sharing my feeling about being asked a certain question would instantly mean that I am some shady character who is trying to hide something, or sell junk guns, and bring up doubts about my honesty and integrity. It's just an opinion and talking point. I feel like my trade rating should be dropped now, or I should be disallowed from posting in the classifieds.

Wow, I didn't realize that sharing my feeling about being asked a certain question would instantly mean that I am some shady character who is trying to hide something, or sell junk guns, and bring up doubts about my honesty and integrity. It's just an opinion and talking point. I feel like my trade rating should be dropped now, or I should be disallowed from posting in the classifieds.

no you are good.. atleast you not the DB who offers the same beat up SKS for every cherry .308 or 1911 offered up for sale.:s0112:

lowballers are the lowest of the low. unless I am doing it :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads