Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why are used .30-30 Rifles so expensive?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TangoFoxtrot, Oct 20, 2009.

1. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot Oregon Member

On other nationwide gun forums people keep saying they pick old Winchester 94's for $75 and Marlin .357 Lever actions for $200.

I've been keeping my eyes on used ones here in Oregon gun shops for years and the going rate is usually about a $50 discount over getting a new one.

On the used market many people want $100-200 more than the same model would cost new.

What's up with this phenomenon in Oregon?

2. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I think people value them more than new because they don't have the new safety systems that are on the new rifles.

3. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I haven't really looked at the Marlins recently, but when I was shopping for a Win. 94 about two years ago, prices seemed to vary quite a bit depending on the store. Since then, the prices on any Winchester lever gun has gone up quite a bit. I haven't looked too closely at them recently, but the ones I have seen seem to start at about $400 for a basic 30-30 in rough shape, and they go up from there. I think people assume that anything that says Winchester is an instant collectible. I got lucky and found mine, a '70s vintage with a top eject (good since I'm a lefty) in good shape for $250. With millions of them out there, I don't know if they'll ever become true collectibles, but there should still be some deals out there, if you're just looking for a shooter.

My brother's in the same situation right now. After shooting mine, he's been looking for one to buy, but anything in decent shape seems to be over $500. For that kind of money you should be able to find a new Marlin. Ableammo has them in stock. If you like the style of the m94, check out the new Mossbergs. Able has them in stock for $411, and they're pretty good guns.

I wish the Winchester market was different, but somebody must be paying those prices. If I could find another deal like I got on mine, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

4. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I like the fact that the only "safety" systems it has are a half-cock and a trigger block connected to the lever. Makes it real simple to operate.

5. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

One thing that may be bringing prices up is that for a century, the Model 94 Winchester was the most popular rifle sold anywhere. I think that during its lifetime around 8 million were made, the majority in 30-30. Since the bankruptcy of Winchester, NO more are going to be made (statement from FN of Belgium, which purchased the assets of Winchester). So, a lot of people are probably looking for one to place in their collection.

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Coctailer had several not long ago but I don't know if he sold all of them. He had some Marlins and some Winchesters, all brand new IIRC. ?? Seems like the price was closer to $300 each but I can't find the
    thread. :(

Maybe I'm full of it, too, but you should check with him.

Edit: OK, here it is. Link to thread

7. Andy

Andy Aurora, OR Active Member

I remember that too. I think $299 was the price. All new. Wish I could find a .357 at that price. :D

8. Gunner3456

Yeah, I found the thread - inserted link in post above.

9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot Oregon Member

His new ones are less than some really beat up older ones I've looked at.

But like I said, people in other parts of the country are finding these used for $75-200.

Do Oregonians love their .30-30's so much that very few used ones hit the market, hence the premium prices in local shops?

10. NorthernBornRebel

NorthernBornRebel Keizer Member

Yeah, I think so. Seems like everyone I talk to around here hunts with a 30-30

11. smonk

smonk Oregon Member

I've been going to Gun shows it the Pacific NW for about 15 years and I've never seen used 30-30's going for 75.00. I have on occasion seen them priced at 175.00-250.00. Mostly the Marlin's are cheaper than the Winchester's. Even at the show last weekend I saw one for less than 300.00. It seems like it was 275.00. If you're patient and look carefully, you can find some deals, but not at every show.

Remember: "Good things come to those who wait."

12. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Don't know where you're gonna find a '94 for $75, here's a nationwide auction site, check the prices there...

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse.asp?SearchType=0&Cat=3023

13. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I have been told by some dealers that new Marlins in handgun calibers are very scarce right now. Several people that I know (non-dealers) have tried to special order these types of guns without success.

14. hm1ing

hm1ing 97051 Member

So what would a 1906 - 30/30 go for... today?

15. Gunner3456

Depends on the brand, model, any special features, and condition. Can you give more description or even post up some pics?

16. Gunner3456

Here's a link to an early Marlin auction. I think the gun is pretty nice for its age and it has an octagonal barrel. It failed to sell for $995. Link

17. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The Winchester Model 94 has been one of my favorite rifles since I knew what a rifle was. I've never heard of them selling for less than $200 anywhere. I think they probably hold their value so well because they're such an all around great gun. They're great for hunting, hiking, camping, target practice, and much more.

I have one a '79 for sale in the classifieds if anyones interested, no use for two of these ;)

18. SOG165

SOG165 Cent. Or. Member

Guess I'm one of the fortunate ones since I picked up my Marlin 336 about a year ago from a private party for $90. It came with the case/leather strap and a couple of boxes of food. I've had a 30-30 for many years and they've been very productive everytime. Can't think of a time when the rifle(s) let me down.

SOG

19. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Here's a chance to double your money.....sell it to me:bluelaugh: