JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll gladly take any of those unused .30-30 rifles , that anyone cares to pass on...:D

I'd have one now...'cept my daughter still uses my Marlin Model 36 that I gave her years ago...
I just can't afford a replacement for it.
Andy

nobody uses a 30-30 anymore.
Nobody? Like zero people?
Maybe not nearly as much for hunting (but it still is used by many) however the .30-30 is enjoyed by many for other uses - such as simply sport & target shooting & varmint hunting.
And I am one of the 'nobody' who who shoots his .30-30s (plural) often!
The new Henry side loader is very popular with many reporting having trouble finding one.
The bottom line is the .30-30 is very much alive and used by more than you can imagine.

Last Edited:
Was this guy grossly overpriced. Yep. I don't mind though. It's one of my funnest. Realistically I'd say it should be about 600 not closer to 1k.

66C98DED-DB6E-466A-A75E-C61A7AF41693.jpeg

If they cut off the autos in my time I would want one in .357 and at least one (if not more) in something larger.
Why wait?
Don't think of a PC caliber (or something larger) lever action as an 'alternative' to your semi autos but think of it as something different, something new that you might actually enjoy shooting and reloading for.
It might give you a new respect and appreciation for shooting, maybe a bit of nostalgia and who knows? you might find yourself taking your lever action out quite often!

Last Edited:
Maybe because they're just not super popular like the AR, AK, 1911, 10/22 or Glock? Perhaps manufacturers are hesitant to make a cost-effective, high-production run on guns they're not absolutely positive will sell like Camaros and Taylor Swift.

True, lever guns are not "sexy" (as the brits might say) pew-pew-pew semi-autos, but they're extremely cool and functional - to me. Actually the original "assault rifle," if one must affix labels.

So there's my take. Maybe we're a bit of a minority for liking solid lever guns with iron sights as opposed to whatever is selling quickly in the tens of thousands.

And the gun manufacturers/retailers know they'll sell every single one for a tidy profit.

Why wait?
Don't think of a PC caliber (or something larger) lever action as an 'alternative' to your semi autos but think of it as something different, something new that you might actually enjoy shooting and reloading for.
It might give you a new respect and appreciation for shooting, maybe a bit of nostalgia and who knows? you might find yourself taking your lever action out quite often!

I don't buy one yet because of price mainly. I do LOVE the look and feel of the levers. Auto's are my hands down favorite though. Levers would be my go to if I am still kicking when they take the auto's. I love PCC's for both fun and "just in case". A side loading lever would be a nice substitute if they take my auto's from me. The only reason they (levers) cost so much is not enough are made. If they started selling like the auto PCC's on the market it would not take long for several to tool up and start making them. Many here were not around when the AR took off. I well remember when there was basically one to choose from as a "base model". They cost about twice what a Mini 14 cost. Look at the AR market now. There is a reason the AR now can be had for half what a Mini cost. Even good AR's can be had for about 2/3ds of what a Mini runs. What I paid for my first one and the money I paid back then was a BIG chunk of change back then. In today's dollars I am not even sure what it would come out to but it would be shocking to many. As the manufacture of these took off the price just kept going down. When and if they do take the autos the lever's will become something many will jump in to start making.

Perhaps manufacturers are hesitant to make a cost-effective, high-production run on guns they're not absolutely positive will sell like Camaros and Taylor Swift.
I don't know about this.
Go ask Henry R.A. About their positivity of sales - they cannot keep up with production - and their guns are not particularly 'cost effective'
True, lever guns are not "sexy" (as the brits might say) pew-pew-pew semi-autos
If 'pew pew semi autos' are the measure of 'sexy' then yes. Lever action rifles are not sexy - they are mature and glamorus.

They're worth the extra couple three bennies plus you get more trigger time per dollar spent on ammo(.357, anyhow).

Another neat thing is both a carbine and revolver can be carried using the same ammunition.

Ive always wanted a .357 lever rifle....... but even new, off the rack they are $200 more than the same rifle in 30-30

What is the driving force behind that?

357, 44, 45.... all are hundreds more than rifles in 30-30 for same finish, etc

Of course, on the used market its even more money. Value of used pc lever gun only goes up while a 30-30 gun goes down

Thoughts?
How much are you looking to spend? The Rossi stainless 357s were just over $500 last time I checked (but probably $200 more than 30-30 I don't know). Chiappa I think made some inexpensive ones also as I recall but can't remember how much. BTW, unrelated but one interesting/oddball lever gun is the Henry .308

Just measured the new Henry 22 waiting for its first Range Trip.....6 successive lever cock & then trigger pull measurements averaged 1# 6.9 oz. Very smooth as well.:)
I bought a Henry 22 in 2005. Didn't measure the trigger pull then and I haven't now. It's always been pretty crisp and everyone who's shot it did well. The 22 LR carbines are the only "pistol caliber" carbines I've seen at reasonable prices. Everything else does seem to have elevated pricing compared to a 30-30 with similar features.
In most instances a 30-30 is a more versatile gun and it's gonna take a while to save enough on ammo to make up the difference in purchase price between that and a pistol caliber version. I dont quite get it.

A true, Lever action rifle 'enthusiast' is going to pay more for a J.M. Marlin or an 'original' Winchester .30-30 than say an AR - and then the couple hundred more for a PC lever because it is his preference - it what he wants to enjoy and appreciate and cost will not be an issue.
I consider myself an 'enthusiast' with only five levers - and I know people who own many more than I do.
I have shot many an AR (heck I owned probably one of the first in Bend - a 1978 Colt A1 Sporter) but I do not get near the satisfaction or enjoyment shooting a semi as I do my lever actions.
Something about bringing 26" of Winchester to my shoulder and looking down that octagon barrel!
I think I once compared it coming to the shoulder with the grace and elegance of a Stradivarius!

Last Edited:
I reload for 357 so that's always been the appeal for me.

I remember looking to Get into CAS like 13 years ago and getting both a Uberti 1873 and a cattleman in 45lc for under $700 ...

Oh how i regret selling those

Whats your favorite?
the 1894 with iron sights is the one I use most. I have a scope on the 336 and it works just fine to. I have a Rossi 44mag with a 16" barrel I take with me on the quad around on the ranch = short barrel fits through tight spaces better. and my 45-70 marlin 1895 SBL when I want to make big holes and my winchester model 1894-22 to make the small holes

Define expensive. We run a number on this patch and I don't recall them being all that bad cost-wise; at least not into the zone of crazy expensive "Gucci" stuff. I suppose so compared to the bottom of the barrel, garbage ARs or, worse, Hi-Points, but in the grand scheme of things, not bad, considering. In humble opinion, it is well worth it; they "just work" and provide plenty of thump downrange. To each their own. :D

it's gonna take a while to save enough on ammo to make up the difference in purchase price between that and a pistol caliber version. I dont quite get it.
I'm not likely to shoot 500 rounds of 30 WCF in one range session due to monetary constraints. The .357/.38 cal lever guns allow me to train and compete with a more moderate round at almost one-third of what it'd cost to do the same with .30 WCF.

How much are you looking to spend? The Rossi stainless 357s were just over $500 last time I checked (but probably $200 more than 30-30 I don't know). Chiappa I think made some inexpensive ones also as I recall but can't remember how much. BTW, unrelated but one interesting/oddball lever gun is the Henry .308

Rossi stainless in 357 is $500 wholesale. And MSRP of 695.

I own or have owned pretty much all of the pistol caliber lever guns. Henry's are absolute junk imho, I'll never buy another even to resell. The Browning B92 in 357 is my rarest and favorite. The Rossi in 3rd to Winchester. These guns are cheap to shoot and hold value until some numskull threads one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top