JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive always wanted a .357 lever rifle....... but even new, off the rack they are $200 more than the same rifle in 30-30

What is the driving force behind that?

357, 44, 45.... all are hundreds more than rifles in 30-30 for same finish, etc

Of course, on the used market its even more money. Value of used pc lever gun only goes up while a 30-30 gun goes down

Thoughts?

Supply and demand. Same reason you can buy 9mm ammo cheaper than .32 or .380 ammo. Demand is higher for one so a ton of it is cranked out. In mass manufacturing the more you make of a widget, the cheaper per item it gets.
They just do not crank out as many of the lever's in pistol caliber. So many nice auto's now that fewer want one. Now when they finally make us give up our auto's the first thing I will buy is a couple lever's. Hopefully they will ramp up the production and the cost will drop.

With regard to PC lever action rifles there are a lot of variables.
For one PC caliber levers have never been made in the numbers as say other calibers - especially 30-30.
With Marlin going to Remlin and the subsequent poor quality issues, and Winchester shutting down in 2006 these two issues were a major contributor to used prices going up on JM Marlins and nearly any Winchester PC rifles or carbines.
I sold a .357 Winchester trapper in 2014 for $750 - that I paid $259 for in 2001.
Until Henry came along there was really no one making PC carbines (well except Rossi) but as far as availability of a quality PC rifle there just wasn't much available.
Even now there are really only three major 'players' when it comes to PC rifles and carbines and that IS with Marlin, Henry and Miroku Winchester (and to a degree the Italian repros) - yet all are very different rifles from one another and do not have 'universal' appeal.
The bottom line is the market is very strong now for PC rifles/carbines yet the choices are few and like it or not this part of what has contributed to the higher prices for them.

Last Edited:
There was time not so long ago that you couldn't buy 22lr to go plink. Semiauto pistol rounds and 223 were also depleted. Thank you Obummer. That made me start reloading 38spl/357mag brass - the least expensive game in town to keep you shooting. With a PCC lever, shooting a rate that doesn't encourage mag dumps, accuracy is minute of pop can to about as far as my eyes can see it with open sights. Beware, PCC levers are addicting, just stick to Winchester 1892, 1873, and Marlin 1894. The Rossi is made by Braziltech ie Taurus. Ymmv. Henry loads from the wrong end and have horrific triggers, IMO.

Just measured the new Henry 22 waiting for its first Range Trip.....6 successive lever cock & then trigger pull measurements averaged 1# 6.9 oz. Very smooth as well.:)

I think a part of the answer has to do with the 30-30 itself which is mostly a hunting cartridge with waning popularity for that purpose. In other words, it may not be the case that pistol caliber lever rifles are out-of-line expensive, it's more that 30-30s are relatively cheap in order to sell them.

it's more that 30-30s are relatively cheap in order to sell them.
And something about the 7 Million + Winchester Mod 94s that have been made - and this does not include the the special editions & commemoratives they made.
And don't forget however many Marlin 336s & other models they made as well.
There are a lot of .30-30s out there!

Id love to have a new Winchester 1892 in 357 or 45LC.

Me too. If they cut off the autos in my time I would want one in .357 and at least one (if not more) in something larger. .45 or .44 would both be great since they are so easy to roll for. Make cheap fun ammo and nice defense ammo. Be nice to have in 10mm too. Sad as I will be to see the auto's go away at least it would make the levers drop in price like a rock as soon as multiple players start making them.

Stainless
There seems to be a direct correlation between Henry quality and the year it was made - specifically before they went nuts and started 'marathon' producing a variety of models & styles of which the numbers are nearly beyond compare to any other manufacturer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top