Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Why are pistol caliber lever actions so expensive?

gmerkt

Reactions
I only have one lever action rifle at present, a Henry steel frame in .41 Magnum. That's the main reason I bought it because I have a couple of Model 57 Smiths. Marlin in .41 is pretty scarce. I've owned a number of lever guns in the past, .30-30's, a .35 Rem., and several in pistol cartridge chamberings. The price of the Henry wasn't an issue for me because of the scarcity of the caliber. I've heard that a good many of the .41 Henrys are sold in Texas so I guess they use them on hogs. My particular Henry is okay, I haven't measured the trigger pull but I know a heavy trigger when I feel one and this one isn't. The front loading tube, I don't take that as a minus because stuffing pistol cartridges into a side gate has gotten fiddly for me in later years. As stated above, Henry now offers a "side loader"in some calibers. In the past, I've owned Winchesters, Marlins and one Browning. Overall, I think I liked the Marlin product best. The Browning was a beautiful gun in .32-20, but the throat was so short I couldn't load jacketed bullets available to handloaders. The wood on the Henry is nice, the bluing isn't all that impressive. I was thinking of buying a second Henry in .327 Fed Mag, another odd-ball cartridge but now have decided not to.

Wombat of Doom

Reactions
I replaced it well I think.

Glad you are having a blast with it. Literally.
It may just be a favorite now. I want to make one in a different caliber pretty much identical. My dad is thinking of buying his first cartridge rifle as one. (Civil War reenactor. He owns a muzzle loader.)

Reno

Reactions
It may just be a favorite now. I want to make one in a different caliber pretty much identical. My dad is thinking of buying his first cartridge rifle as one. (Civil War reenactor. He owns a muzzle loader.)
I had a single shot I did up in 223. Was going to use it with the can that was pending. All my cans took a year plus to get so the wait was so annoying I went through at least a handful of hosts before even getting any of them.

I’d do another Henry either the lever action or the single shot in 223 maybe, in time.

If Ruger surprised us with an updated 44 carbine type semi auto bottom mag fed in various calibers. I’d get that. Otherwise I’m kind of owned most or many of the PCCs out there and the rest don’t overly excite me.

Maybe the 77/357. SBRd would be pretty cool. However I’m at the point where I need more suppressors as swapping is starting to get annoying. I know, first world problems.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online