JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that many of us are in denial about the potential dangers around them. When they see you carry (or think that you might) it dispels the illusion of security that they depend on. They don't want to confront that reality any more than I want to confront the reality when my alarm clock goes off that I need to get out of bed. I get irrationally PO'd at my alarm clock, the same way they irrationally transfer their fear to you.

I think that many of us are in denial about the potential dangers around them. When they see you carry (or think that you might) it dispels the illusion of security that they depend on. They don't want to confront that reality any more than I want to confront the reality when my alarm clock goes off that I need to get out of bed. I get irrationally PO'd at my alarm clock, the same way they irrationally transfer their fear to you.

True. They often think we're irrationally afraid of something. I believe that I alone am responsible for my safety. Anything else is buying into the illusion of security.

I said this very thing just a day or two ago.

I ride the bus into downtown on days i have class. On occasion, the old XD plays a little peek-a-boo. Plenty of people have noticed, and the only ones who look nervous or concerned are the ones that are likely not allowed to own one themselves.

And whenever I am asked, "YOU'RE CARRYING/HAVE A GUN??!!!?!!", I simply reply, "you're not/don't"? I leave it at that. No reason to argue or be abrasive.

Anytime I deal with any members of the sheep club, I instantly point at something and say.... THE BABIES! THE BABIES! and I disappear in a puff of smoke.

If I get a vibe that it's a cool person, and he/she is worth my time, I'll try to educate them a little lol :)

So After going to the range on Sunday we finished and went to grab food (Applebee's to be exact). So I knew we were going to sit in the bar I left my guns at in the car*. I forgot that I usually have my OWB holster on and my shirt/jacket is between my person and holster, so at this time it was showing...

So I went to the restroom to wash my hands and while I was drying them off, a patron (older guy aged 50ish) walks in and stops and is in shock and here how the convo went:

guy: Is that a gun belt?
ME: huh? what do you mean?
Guy: No, I mean is that a holder for guns!
ME: oh, yes. Why do you ask?
Guy: YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN ON YOU DO YOU???
ME: Do you see one on me? (again no I did not have a gun on me)
Guy: No
ME: well ok then
Guy: where is the gu....
ME: (interrupting) enjoy your food
And I walked out because I was extremely hungry

While we were sitting in the bar, he sat in the bar with some buddy of his and they both kept pointing at me. (I was getting a bit annoyed, but felt sorry for his ignorance). It was pretty obvious I didn't have a gun in the holster and all the employee's never questioned me since it was just a holster.

So brings me to my title of the thread, why are people so scared?

*to anyone who thinks I was drinking while at the bar, I was not, I had water just as an FYI

I would have simply countered and asked him if he was checking out my junk. ;)

Here is a perfect example of why people hate guns and find them destructive. Yesterday in an unfortunate case a teenager shot himself in a suicide attempt. He did it at school.
Today the students returned to school. What did the headline say on the article that was online?

This: "Teens to Return to Ohio School Day After Shooting". It doesn't say "Teens Return to School after Suicide Attempt". The headline is very misleading as anyone just glancing at it is going to assume that another nut has shot up a school. The article even goes so far as to mention that the gun was a semi-automatic. This type of media coverage is a big factor in the fear and hatred that the public as towards guns.

Plus, they always seem to include the perpetrator in the casualty count if/when they are shot and/or killed, or off themself... STUPID.
Yeah, I never understood that.
Here is what I am waiting for. Someone is going to shoot a dog that is attacking a child. What is the headline going to read?
"Man shoots child's pet", of course.

Here is a perfect example of why people hate guns and find them destructive. Yesterday in an unfortunate case a teenager shot himself in a suicide attempt. He did it at school.
Today the students returned to school. What did the headline say on the article that was online?

This: "Teens to Return to Ohio School Day After Shooting". It doesn't say "Teens Return to School after Suicide Attempt". The headline is very misleading as anyone just glancing at it is going to assume that another nut has shot up a school. The article even goes so far as to mention that the gun was a semi-automatic. This type of media coverage is a big factor in the fear and hatred that the public as towards guns.

I think this is a wonderful, perfect example how people have to come believe, without a doubt everything they see and hear on tv/internet. I heard a lady the other day arguing with a friend of hers as I was sitting in Sherri's with my gf, and she was telling her about how to do a home remedy cure for some sickness and she was getting pissed. Her friend asked her where she got this info and her friends reply was it was in a yahoo chat forum. Oh good grief, really?!?!?! She defended it so loudly that I almost had to say something to her lol...

When I lived in Arizona I used to open carry. I had a guy approach me in a gas station and ask "is that a real gun?" I told him it was and then he asked "isn't that dangerous? What if someone tries to take it from you?" I asked "Would you try to take it from me?" the guy said "no friggin way!" and I said "exactly"

A lot of you have touched on this already. It's really a fear of the unknown or unfamiliar. People who have not grown up around firearms are unreasonably afraid of them. People who have been exposed to them their whole lives know that there is no concern.

I saw a guy shooting a syringe into his belly in a public bathroom. I got really concerned about it because I though this guy was some sort of addict. He was standing next to me at the sink while I washed my hands and he could see the look of concern on my face. He said “before you rush to judgment, I’m a diabetic and I was taking my insulin”. Instantly relieved, I laughed and said “wow, thanks for letting me know”

That was the first time I was exposed to a scene like that so I reacted the same way most of us would, with fear or at least concern. Had I grown up around diabetics my whole life the sight of the guy shooting up wouldn’t have fazed me.

Education is antidote to fear – the more you know the less anxiety you have.

I used to be terrified of flying. I took a job that required me to travel constantly so the fear of flying thing really got in the way. I studied how commercial planes work; the physics of flight, how every move a plane makes is directed by air traffic control, etc. The more I learned about it, the less afraid I became. I fly around all of the time now and it doesn’t bother me at all. I think another part of it that helps is that if the plane crashes, I won’t have to pay bills anymore.

Lemonade out of lemons right?

About the only time i open carry is on hot days when its just too uncomfortable to try and wear an overshirt to cover up. My last trip into Bi-Mart had me a little suprised however. I carry my 1911 on my hip and its always cocked with thumb safety on. So i have my family with me (Wife, twin 8mo old girls, and my boy 2.5yrs) and we head in to do some shopping. Just out of habit i check their window for any signs, nada (kinda figured this since they are a sporting goods store). So we head in and head back to the sporting goods counter and i start talking to the employee who is helping me get some primers, powder, bullets, ect. His department phone rings and he starts talking real quite, I kinda had a feeling. And sure enough, several employees had called the manager complaining and asking if it was in store policy (which it is). He kindly explained his conversation with his manager, and apologized for it. Told him no worries and thank you and sorry he had to deal with that on my account.
I just find it crazy that a store such as Bi-Mart doesn't educate their employees on what they may see while working their, and what store policy and rules are on the subject. I never got a single look from another customer there, just the employees. Oh well, sorry for the long post.

About the only time i open carry is on hot days when its just too uncomfortable to try and wear an overshirt to cover up. My last trip into Bi-Mart had me a little suprised however. I carry my 1911 on my hip and its always cocked with thumb safety on. So i have my family with me (Wife, twin 8mo old girls, and my boy 2.5yrs) and we head in to do some shopping. Just out of habit i check their window for any signs, nada (kinda figured this since they are a sporting goods store). So we head in and head back to the sporting goods counter and i start talking to the employee who is helping me get some primers, powder, bullets, ect. His department phone rings and he starts talking real quite, I kinda had a feeling. And sure enough, several employees had called the manager complaining and asking if it was in store policy (which it is). He kindly explained his conversation with his manager, and apologized for it. Told him no worries and thank you and sorry he had to deal with that on my account.
I just find it crazy that a store such as Bi-Mart doesn't educate their employees on what they may see while working their, and what store policy and rules are on the subject. I never got a single look from another customer there, just the employees. Oh well, sorry for the long post.

What I think is really stupid is GUN stores that won't allow you to carry a loaded gun, concealed or not.

In regards to the original post, the guy who was apparently afraid of the gun has enough nerve to walk up to a guy with potential gun and ask if he has one. Where is the logic in that? Almost one of those things where the cat used up his last life from curiosity. Really, if someone had a gun and you were seen by someone who didn't like guns, why would they walk up to you and ask if it was real?

In regards to the original post, the guy who was apparently afraid of the gun has enough nerve to walk up to a guy with potential gun and ask if he has one. Where is the logic in that? Almost one of those things where the cat used up his last life from curiosity. Really, if someone had a gun and you were seen by someone who didn't like guns, why would they walk up to you and ask if it was real?

Reminds me of this Batman quote;

Lucius Fox: [to Reese] Let me get this straight, you think that your client, one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante, who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, and your plan is to blackmail this person?
[Reese's face falls and Fox smiles]

Lucius Fox: Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top