JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So After going to the range on Sunday we finished and went to grab food (Applebee's to be exact). So I knew we were going to sit in the bar I left my guns at in the car*. I forgot that I usually have my OWB holster on and my shirt/jacket is between my person and holster, so at this time it was showing...

So I went to the restroom to wash my hands and while I was drying them off, a patron (older guy aged 50ish) walks in and stops and is in shock and here how the convo went:

guy: Is that a gun belt?
ME: huh? what do you mean?
Guy: No, I mean is that a holder for guns!
ME: oh, yes. Why do you ask?
Guy: YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN ON YOU DO YOU???
ME: Do you see one on me? (again no I did not have a gun on me)
Guy: No
ME: well ok then
Guy: where is the gu....
ME: (interrupting) enjoy your food
And I walked out because I was extremely hungry

While we were sitting in the bar, he sat in the bar with some buddy of his and they both kept pointing at me. (I was getting a bit annoyed, but felt sorry for his ignorance). It was pretty obvious I didn't have a gun in the holster and all the employee's never questioned me since it was just a holster.

So brings me to my title of the thread, why are people so scared?

*to anyone who thinks I was drinking while at the bar, I was not, I had water just as an FYI

I've been carrying concealed for a long time. My holster isn't always totally concealed and I've got many comments and looks from so many people. Mostly from women with their children in stores, especially when I open carry. My response to them is if they have a problem with my carrying a firearm, to take it up with the legal system. It's not a personal fight that I will engage in, it's just not worth it. As a gun holder, we pretty much always come out looking like the aggressor no matter what the scenario is.

P.S. I thought it was big of you to just drop it. Many of us struggle not to defend our right.

I guess I've been blessed to encounter either silent protesters, or approving supporters when I've OC'd.

I've had a person or two usually comment something supportive like "Nice piece" or something.

My answer to that guy in Applebee's or anywhere else would be a simple and polite "No mass shooting is happening here on my watch..."

I've said that before, and not encountered a single peep of disagreement or disapproval.

I've been carrying concealed for a long time. My holster isn't always totally concealed and I've got many comments and looks from so many people. Mostly from women with their children in stores, especially when I open carry. My response to them is if they have a problem with my carrying a firearm, to take it up with the legal system. It's not a personal fight that I will engage in, it's just not worth it. As a gun holder, we pretty much always come out looking like the aggressor no matter what the scenario is.

P.S. I thought it was big of you to just drop it. Many of us struggle not to defend our right.

Yes I haven't been a gun owner very long, but I feel that I am a pretty smart/educated gun owner that doesn't have this hot head about owning or having a gun (even when on my person).

I honestly wanted to tell this guy "If some crazy guy came in here shooting up the place you'd be very happy I had my gun on me (since we were both in the bathroom), I bet you wouldn't have been mad that I had a gun on me". But thinking logically I knew that would be a bad decision on my part to even insinuate this as an option and would probably make this old dude go in fear and yeah...

Some people freak out when anything having to do with guns happens.

Here's what happened at the baggage counter at SW Airlines:

Me: I have some shotgun shells in my bag.

Baggage Woman: WHAT?

Me: Shotgun shells.

Baggage Woman: you have a GUN?!!!

Me: No. I have 4 boxes of shotgun shells.

Baggage Woman: GUN shells?

Me: yes. Don't worry. I do this all the time. TSA allows it and I just like to let you all know too.

Baggage Woman: I have to get my supervisor.

Supervisor: can I see the ammunition? If they are in original boxes its ok.

I showed him the shells, and he put my bag on the conveyer belt.

Supervisor to baggage woman: you should marry someone in law enforcement [he nods to me].

I showed them my wedding ring and went on to the security check.

Just came back from my doctor. He's a cool guy. Last time I visited I carried (IWB) and he asked to lift my shirt to listen to my breathing. As it was somewhat covering things up and I hadn't really told him, I was about to tell him before lifting the shirt more. As I was doing this he assisted me, listened to the breathing with a Beretta 92 grip full on in sight (with pretty wooden grips too, mind you). He didn't blink and didn't say anything, so I assumed he saw it and is pretty cool with it.

Came in today, and he needed to check out something for a muscle in my leg:
I said "OK, but, I do carry, so where would I put it?"
Doc: "Oh, you carry a concealed firearm?"
Me: "Yeah, you didn't see that last time?"
Doc: "Nope, I probably wasn't paying attention to something like that"
Me: "Is that a problem?"
Doc: "Nope, no problem at all. As long as you're safe with it, I'm cool"

I like my doctor, besides being good at what he does, he doesn't make a fuss about stuff. And it goes to show that me being anal about not printing is pretty much only for other CC'ers to not spot me. This guy was examining my body and the grip of a full size pistol was openly visible to him. Most people don't see it.

Just came back from my doctor. He's a cool guy. Last time I visited I carried (IWB) and he asked to lift my shirt to listen to my breathing. As it was somewhat covering things up and I hadn't really told him, I was about to tell him before lifting the shirt more. As I was doing this he assisted me, listened to the breathing with a Beretta 92 grip full on in sight (with pretty wooden grips too, mind you). He didn't blink and didn't say anything, so I assumed he saw it and is pretty cool with it.

I like my doctor, besides being good at what he does, he doesn't make a fuss about stuff. And it goes to show that me being anal about not printing is pretty much only for other CC'ers to not spot me. This guy was examining my body and the grip of a full size pistol was openly visible to him. Most people don't see it.

Well, one thing to consider is that general practice doctors are obviously generally highly intelligent people, who come into contact with a LOT of different personalities. I would say this guy probably knows right off the bat when seeing a patient who is mentally "normal", and not someone he should worry about carrying. I could be wrong though - sometimes I put too much faith into the reasoning employed by intelligent, highly educated people.

Why can't our legislators be more like your doctor?

People who are afraid of guns go off of what they see in real life. In real life they do not hear about the hundreds of thousands of people who defend themselves with guns every year. They do not see the sporting side of guns. They see what the media presents to them, which is some crazy shooting up a place. So in that respect, I can understand it. Education is the key for people to overcome
their fears when it comes to fire arms.

I put ECG and mags on the counter when I go to the chiropractor. It's really lumpy when I lie on the adjusting table with the piece and mags attached to my belt. He said he wants a big bore derringer. No particular reason other than he wants one. I understand perfectly.

(IMHO, Applebee's would gag a dog.) :p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top